Author Topic: Smart trade ideas, let's hear them  (Read 4360 times)

Re: Smart trade ideas, let's hear them
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2022, 06:07:31 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
BKN: Joe Harris for Smart
LAC: Bledsoe & a pick for Smart
PHI: Danny Green, cap filler, pick for Smart
MIN: Patrick Beverley & lotto protected pick for Smart
DEN: Will Barton for Smart
TOR: Boucher, Birch & lotto protected pick for Smart
ATL: D.Hunter or C.Reddish & D.Wright for Smart
CHI: Coby White, Derrick Jones Jr (pick?) for Smart
IND: LeVert for Smart
IND: TJ Warren & pick for Smart
IND: J.Lamb & Justin Holiday & pick for Smart
DAL: Reggie Bullock & pick for Smart
NYK: Alec Burks & Toppin or Quickley for Smart
NOP: Devonte Graham for Smart
CHA: Oubre Jr (pick?) for Smart

TP Who. Like you said he's probably a negative asset now with that contract.  Thanks Brad

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2022, 06:43:48 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Celtics would be a bottom 5 team without Smart this year.  The pitchforks this board has for him are embarrassing.

What are you talking about.  We suck with him,  did it occur to you we could improve by trading one of the most embarrassing shooters in NBA history?

We are mediocre with him - literally, as a roughly .500 team.

If you say it’s his fault, how do you explain the awful losses in the games he was out? Or the way the team blew the Spurs game when he gave them several possessions with excellent defensive plays?

He has limits. No kidding. He’s also capable of helping a team be great if he’s not misused. They could, easily, be a fine offense if DS was benched or traded, they brought in a good screen-running shooter to play SG, and let Marcus handle the ball instead of using him in pick and pop actions with Tatum (what is that?!?) or having him set up above the break for catch and shoot 3s.

Would I trade him for a better player? Yes - and I’d say the same if every Celtic, including Tatum. Would I dump him in a fire sale - or to shed salary, as someone said above? Absolutely not.

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2022, 06:46:10 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3203
If we could trade Smart for Bane I'd love it.

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2022, 06:56:37 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Here's a wild idea: How about we don't actively try to trade Smart because he's one of our best players?

If we could get a Terrence Ross or Cam Reddish  for Smart, I'd drive him to the airport!
Terrence Ross? Is this for real? :o Just because he had a good shooting night against us, it doesn't mean he's a good player. All the advanced stats suggest he's a net negative. Do yourself a favour and check out his shooting efficiency. He's shooting 30.2% from 3 this season. His eFG% the last couple of seasons is 47.6% and 48.5% respectively. Mind you, he's supposed to be a shooter. I bet the Magic would be happy to dump him for a second rounder. Personally speaking, I consider him a negative asset. I wouldn't even offer a second rounder for him.
And I consider Smart a negative  asset!
Good for you. In the meantime, pretty much all the proposals on this thread suggest we can potentially get multiple assets for Smart, including pick(s).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 07:03:19 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2022, 07:01:18 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3203
Here's a wild idea: How about we don't actively try to trade Smart because he's one of our best players?

If we could get a Terrence Ross or Cam Reddish  for Smart, I'd drive him to the airport!
Terrence Ross? Is this for real? :o Just because he had a good shooting night against us, it doesn't mean he's a good player. All the advanced stats suggest he's a net negative. Do yourself a favour and check out his shooting efficiency. He's shooting 30.2% from 3 this season. His eFG% the last couple of seasons is 47.6% and 48.5% respectively. Mind you, he's supposed to be a shooter. I bet the Magic would be happy to dump him for a second rounder. Personally speaking, I consider him a negative asset. I wouldn't even offer a second rounder for him.
Which makes zero sense. Do you believe Cam Reddish is a negative asset as well? I mean, you think we should trade Smart for him.

In any case, you are definitely in the minority. Pretty much all the proposals on this thread suggest we can potentially get multiple assets for Smart, including pick(s).

If you traded Smart it would have to include other players and picks for a player upgrade. Just swapping Smart for another player at a similar skill level probably doesn't improve this team.

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2022, 07:24:58 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Which makes zero sense. Do you believe Cam Reddish is a negative asset as well? I mean, you think we should trade Smart for him.

In any case, you are definitely in the minority. Pretty much all the proposals on this thread suggest we can potentially get multiple assets for Smart, including pick(s).

If you traded Smart it would have to include other players and picks for a player upgrade. Just swapping Smart for another player at a similar skill level probably doesn't improve this team.
I've yet to read a trade involving Smart which I think would improve the team, but feel free to believe we'd be better off if we traded him. Who proposed plenty of deals. Personally speaking, I'd pass on all of them. I'm not even tempted by any of these deals.

The way I see it, Smart is the second most versatile/switchable guard defender in the NBA behind only Ben Simmons (who isn't exactly a guard to begin with). He can switch 1 through 4 on defense. He can even hold his own against undersized/mobile 5s. His defensive versatility makes him a perfect fit alongside the Jays on the defensive side of the ball. He's also a reliable PnR ball handler. He's probably our second best passer behind only Horford. Obviously, he's far from perfect. Nobody is. He cannot consistently create his own shot. His shot selection is an ongoing issue. All in all, I love his game.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 07:37:39 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2022, 07:59:38 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If C's refuse to give up on double bigs like Smart for Markkanen

Schro/PP
JB/Josh
Tatum/Langford
Markkanen/GW
TL/Al

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2022, 08:38:22 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
BKN: Joe Harris for Smart
LAC: Bledsoe & a pick for Smart
PHI: Danny Green, cap filler, pick for Smart
MIN: Patrick Beverley & lotto protected pick for Smart
DEN: Will Barton for Smart

ATL: D.Hunter or C.Reddish & D.Wright for Smart
CHI: Coby White, Derrick Jones Jr (pick?) for Smart
IND: LeVert for Smart
IND: TJ Warren & pick for Smart
IND: J.Lamb & Justin Holiday & pick for Smart
DAL: Reggie Bullock & pick for Smart

NYK: Alec Burks & Toppin or Quickley for Smart
NOP: Devonte Graham for Smart
CHA: Oubre Jr (pick?) for Smart

Most ideas (in red) I wouldn't support. We need something longterm and at the same time a late first round pick for Smart would be bad value. In orange the deals I would consider.

Really liked TJ Warren, but after missing one and a half year of basketball it's questionable whether he will reach his previous level (have to think hard about that one). Coby White and Immanuel Quickley are both really young players with upside. At the same time neither one is a guarantee to become a starter level player (like Smart actually is). I like Quickley more, because he has much more potential on defense but he isn't a solution for our playmaking problems.

The Atlanta proposal I kind of like. De'Andre Hunter is injury prone, but that might give us an opportunity to steal a very solid player. He has shown flashes of being a strong wing defender and has room to grow on offense.

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2022, 08:53:54 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
This is a team built around the 3 point shot, yet it ranks 23rd in 3 point shooting and has a point guard that is a poor shooter. Actually, 2 point guards that are poor shooters. So many fans will accept trading Brown and some will accept even trading Tatum, but Smart is untouchable because he is the "heart and soul" of this team- a mediocre mess.

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2022, 09:08:52 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
pass

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2022, 09:29:17 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 481
The issue is smart is a SG and a great player off the bench.  He's forced to be the PG because the cs don't have  better option.  I'd rather Smart stay but he's the best trade chip we have.  Every team would love a Smart.  GSW is a perfect trade partner because of the young talent but the way they are playing and getting Klay back there isn't a need.  The Cs need shooting and a Playmaking PG.

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2022, 11:54:46 PM »

Kiorrik

This is a team built around the 3 point shot, yet it ranks 23rd in 3 point shooting and has a point guard that is a poor shooter. Actually, 2 point guards that are poor shooters. So many fans will accept trading Brown and some will accept even trading Tatum, but Smart is untouchable because he is the "heart and soul" of this team- a mediocre mess.

Oh?

I've not seen anyone say exactly that. Let along "so many"?

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2022, 01:12:37 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35

This.

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2022, 01:26:16 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25611
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
39.6% FG% / .465 eFG% / .509 TS%

A guy that bad at shooting can’t be a team’s fourth option (third option among the starters). 

We need better scorers to take pressure off of the Jays.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2022, 02:14:02 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1246
I wish Malcom Brogdon was a legitimate option but don’t think he’s trade eligible this year. Good player. Solid defender, good shooter, good leader.

I was gonna suggest Brogdon. I didn’t know he couldn’t be traded this year? Would this be true even if he gives his consent to be traded?

Anyway, if the Pacers fail to trade Levert at the deadline, I would imagine Brogdon would be available during the off season specially if the Pacers continue to underperform? Duarte could be their PG of the future if they decide to blow things up.

Edit: For those interested, the link explains why Brogdon can’t be traded this season.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/10/pacers-malcolm-brogdon-agree-to-extension.html
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 02:19:06 AM by radiohead »