Author Topic: Ringer Draft Guide  (Read 4846 times)

Re: Ringer Draft Guide
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 05:19:01 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Bol shoots above 50% from 3

I dont care what his body looks like

Can he stay on the floor?  That's my question.  Both in terms of defense and in terms of health.

A seven foot plus dude who can hit threes with a release point above basically any defender is always going to have value, at least in theory, but if he's got the foot speed of an oak tree he may be unplayable on defense.

Just look at Boban -- he's super productive but has trouble staying on the floor because he's so slow.

What does the tape tell you? Clearly more athletic than Boban.

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2019, 06:19:46 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Can he stay on the floor?  That's my question.  Both in terms of defense and in terms of health.

A seven foot plus dude who can hit threes with a release point above basically any defender is always going to have value, at least in theory, but if he's got the foot speed of an oak tree he may be unplayable on defense.

Just look at Boban -- he's super productive but has trouble staying on the floor because he's so slow.

He had a low release point on his shot.

He shot could be impossible for a wing player to stop but he shoots low.

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2019, 06:24:01 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

What does the tape tell you? Clearly more athletic than Boban.

I dont believe the implication was meant to compare footspeed between the 2 but instead show that even if you are productive you cannot be on the floor with limitations.

Boban is slow for a center. Very slow.

Bol is puny for a center and incredibly very massively slow for someone who would be in the wing.

And he is slower that pretty much every single starting pf in the league. Now i am typing this while trying to remember the majority of pfs and who would bol actually be quicker than?

If any I would be surprised.

And add to that every pf in the league would crush him with speed.

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2019, 09:21:12 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Terrible takes all around from the OP.

Who told you PJ Washington was skinny?

Herro and G. Williams are much too limited athletically.

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2019, 11:48:20 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

The "terrible takes" are based on the assessments of the Ringer Draft Guide (hence the title of the thread).

If you have an issue, it's probably with KOC and co.

Washington is compared to Taj Gibson, Brice Johnson, Jerami Grant.  Three guys with the offensive skillsets of centers but who are not big enough to play at the 5 full time. 

Grant Williams may be athletically limited, but his passing and productivity make him an interesting pick for the latter part of the 1st round, I think. 

Herro's appeal apparently is all about his shooting.  I agree that athletic limitations are a concern.  But this is a weak draft.  Having a great outside shot might be enough to be worth a look in this draft.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2019, 12:05:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

The "terrible takes" are based on the assessments of the Ringer Draft Guide (hence the title of the thread).

Washington is compared to Taj Gibson, Brice Johnson, Jerami Grant.  Three guys with the offensive skillsets of centers but who are not big enough to play at the 5 full time. 

Grant Williams may be athletically limited, but his passing and productivity make him an interesting pick for the latter part of the 1st round, I think. 

Herro's appeal apparently is all about his shooting.  I agree that athletic limitations are a concern.  But this is a weak draft.  Having a great outside shot might be enough to be worth a look in this draft.
I think it's a weird comparison because Washington was a 40%+ shooter from 3 this season, but in his first season the comparison made sense.

I'm a huge Grant Williams fan. Guy does it all and is incredibly strong.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2019, 01:21:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I think it's a weird comparison because Washington was a 40%+ shooter from 3 this season, but in his first season the comparison made sense.

I'm a huge Grant Williams fan. Guy does it all and is incredibly strong.

If PJ Washington is a really good outside shooter, I agree that the comps don't make sense.  A 6'8'' 230 guy with a good outside shot and the physical attributes and big man skills of Taj Gibson could be really good.  Taj Gibson with a reliable outside shot starts to sound more like Miami Heat era Chris Bosh.

I like Grant Williams.  I love the Boris Diaw / Draymond Green archetype.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2019, 01:40:12 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
https://nbadraft.theringer.com/?_ga=2.83227606.1930330115.1559587923-1364283429.1559587923

Some names that may be in the Celts' range that stand out to me in a positive way:

Brandon Clarke -- nothing new here, but I think details like "6'8''", "super versatile," "plays team first basketball," and high productivity in college all suggest good things for making it in the modern NBA

Jaxson Hayes -- Really sounds like he has a skillset that will make him a significant threat as a rim runner in the NBA ... that's a role with a lot of value but a hard ceiling in today's league.  High floor relatively low ceiling.  But mid-1st would be great value for that kind of player.

Tyler Herro -- Improbable name aside, he's young, a good shooter, and has decent size for a wing.  Terrible wingspan is a red flag, but talented wing shooters are always useful.

Grant Williams
- Anybody who gets compared to Boris Diaw draws my attention, but he's probably more Kyle Anderson than Boris.

Matiss Thybulle - Comps to Danny Green, Gary Harris, Tony Allen -- every one of those guys is somebody any team could use.  Great steal rate is typically a very good indicator of success at the NBA level.

Dylan Windler - Size plus productivity plus shooting ... Ingles, Bojan, Mo Pete are all encouraging comps.  Good wingspan.

Talen Horton-Tucker - Super young and a freakish wingspan for a 6'4'' guy ... if he's there at 22 I'd be perfectly happy with the team taking a swing.

Some players that stood out to me in a negative way:

Sekou Doumboya - You never want to see "tranquilized" in any player comp.  Also 0.7 assists is a bit of a red flag for me.

PJ Washington - I worry about skinny power forwards that lack range ... Taj Gibson is a nice player but Jerami Grant without a jumpshot is tough to play at all and Brice Johnson is not an NBA player (so far).

Romeo Langford - Your main selling point being "isolation scoring" coupled with "must refine his decision-making and jumper" is a major red flag to me, especially after watching the 2019 Celtics for an entire season.

Kevin Porter Jr. - Comps to JR Smith, Stuckey, James Young ... sounds like a guy Ainge would take and who would occasionally look exciting but overall be too rough to get playing time.

Nassir Little - 0.6 assists worry me ... comps to Harrison Barnes and Stanley Johnson are similarly concerning.  Guys like this who don't develop reliable jumpers or playmaking end up becoming, at best, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist or Rondae Hollis-Jefferson.

Rui Hachimura - Comps to Jabari Parker and "washed Carmelo Anthony" .... please stay away from this guy.  Please stay far away.

Im never a big fan of KOCs "shades of" portion of his draft guide. I understand why he does it as it feeds the need for draft comps without comitting to a clear player comp.

With that said I agree with the "shades of" for Porter jr.

I like to comp players on a scale based on role and physical profile.

Example D Hunter

D Comp Damien Ingles
C Comp Mbah a Moute
B Comp T Ariza
A Comp L Deng

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2019, 07:55:31 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
With the picks we have I'd much rather we swing for the fences on guys with very high ceilings than play it safe... Bol Bol and Kevin Porter Jr... come on down!