Author Topic: SI Latest Mock draft  (Read 9386 times)

SI Latest Mock draft
« on: June 07, 2019, 04:25:22 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
This is probably the most realistic Celtics mock I have seen

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/05/20/nba-mock-draft-pelicans-grizzlies-knicks-lakers-zion-williamson-ja-morant-rj-barrett-post-combine

My broad critique is I feel he is to low on Clarke who I doubt falls outside the top 20 and Windler who I'm confident will go 1st round.

As for the Cs picks he has #14 Bitadze, #20 Washington, #22 Dort and #51 Ponds.

I am really high on every pick but Dort. At #22 having already gone big with the first pick I would rather see them take Windler or Okpala. If the draft truly played out like he projects I can't see the Cs passing on Clarke at #22 as that could be the steal of the draft. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 04:39:38 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: SI Letest Mock draft
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 04:28:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I know nothing about many of the guys outside the top-10.

Would the Celts really take a traditional center? What separates this kid from Zizic?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 04:55:27 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

Would the Celts really take a traditional center? What separates this kid from Zizic?

By all accounts Bitadze has a lot more shooting potential then Zizic. My hope would be for him to draft and stash for a year, then joint the Celtics eventually developing into a more offensively dynamic version of Baynes. There are definitely players who have higher ceilings that the Cs could take at #14 but given the flat tiers from 10-40 and the Cs likely desire not to bring in 3 rookie 1st rounders I like the pick.

This is a nice video on Bitadze, around the 2min mark it highlights some pick and pop 3s.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 05:06:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I feel like we see this every year -- people doing the mock drafts feel like the Celts need more size inside / on the boards, so they mock big, traditional centers to the team. 

Based on Ainge's draft history, I doubt he'll take a center any earlier than 22.  He'll probably go with a combo guard or scoring wing with great physical tools and high pedigree coming out of high school who didn't quite live up to expectations in his one or two years of college.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: SI Latest Mock draft
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 05:19:28 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
On Dort

He’ll need to rein it in a bit offensively, and his jump shot is a big question, but he could be another solid potential role player for Boston at this spot.

Sounds like Celtics material sadly.... We need shooters, IMHO

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 05:29:42 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I feel like we see this every year -- people doing the mock drafts feel like the Celts need more size inside / on the boards, so they mock big, traditional centers to the team. 

Based on Ainge's draft history, I doubt he'll take a center any earlier than 22.  He'll probably go with a combo guard or scoring wing with great physical tools and high pedigree coming out of high school who didn't quite live up to expectations in his one or two years of college.

For me a lot has to do with the need for a draft and stash
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 05:37:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Why do we need a draft and stash?  Either we're trading these picks or we're going to be in a youth development mode anyway.

Also, the last time we took a guy who we could draft and stash just for the sake of being able to do that, we ended up with Yabu, who so far doesn't even look like an NBA player.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 05:55:56 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
What a bad mock.

Bitadze look like a less athletic and smaller Enes Kanter.

There are many player I take above him that they have coming after.

Terrible, makes no sense. Brad's system doesnt like traditional back to the basket, slow plodding centers, why would we draft one.

NAW
Samanic
Thybulle or Okpala

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 06:26:49 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
What a bad mock.

Bitadze look like a less athletic and smaller Enes Kanter.

There are many player I take above him that they have coming after.

Terrible, makes no sense. Brad's system doesnt like traditional back to the basket, slow plodding centers, why would we draft one.

NAW
Samanic
Thybulle or Okpala

I like your suggestions a lot better than that mock draft. I doubt that I'd be happy with Bitadze, Washington, Dort and Ponds if we'd keep all our picks, although I have to watch more from Washington to get a better view on him.

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 06:37:12 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Sam Vecenie's mock on the athletic also has us taking Bitadze at #14 and then NAW at #20 and Keldon Johnson at #22. 

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 08:06:57 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22

Why do we need a draft and stash?  Either we're trading these picks or we're going to be in a youth development mode anyway.

Also, the last time we took a guy who we could draft and stash just for the sake of being able to do that, we ended up with Yabu, who so far doesn't even look like an NBA player.

I feel like a lot of people are saying the Celts need a draft-and-stash simply because they have 4 picks this year. They're not trying to maintain cap space, so I don't see any advantage to stashing a player. If they're going to use the picks, get the guys in here and start developing them. Let them run in Maine.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them package a couple of them in a trade. First round picks get guaranteed money for 3 years. Package a pick or two with Yabu or Semi and get back a player you actually want on the bench for a couple of years.

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 08:20:35 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Yuck..i be disappointed with this draft if that happens
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2019, 08:23:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Yuck..i be disappointed with this draft if that happens

here come Young , Yabu and 3J.    2.0.  and 3.0. and 4.0 .....

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2019, 08:28:03 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I’d be p---ed if we passed on Langford.

Id even prefer Herro or Bol Bol if the draft pans out the way SI thinks
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2019, 08:44:09 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
In this mock is Bitadze receiving a Jokic bump? 
Good passing instincts on top of the decent shooting?

Agree with others Danny will skip him...

Probably wisely, but don’t have a feel for Bitadze at all...