Author Topic: Celtics (48-13) at Nuggets (42-20) Game #62 3/7/24  (Read 11457 times)

Re: Celtics (48-13) at Nuggets (42-20) Game #62 3/7/24
« Reply #375 on: March 08, 2024, 10:10:06 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2954
After sleeping on it, I feel slightly less pessimistic than last night. Despite a likely season-worst Tatum night, 11 missed free throws, sub-30% shooting, and double digit turnovers - with almost all of those issues being primarily self-inflicted - we lost by 6 and had a wide open three to go up with 50 seconds left. And while Denver underperformed in a few areas, too, I don’t think it was nearly as much as us.

It seems like it will essentially be a coin flip series if meting in the Finals, with the series being decided on the margins, which I have to say isn’t necessarily much more comforting with our players’ and coaching track record.

I think the offense will sort itself out, as we’ve shot poorly both games and should improve there. Free throws will be better, and JT won’t put up those stinkers every game. It’s defensively where I think the coaching staff and players have the most work to do. Going to have to figure out some sort of scheme to balance individual coverage of Jokic with stopping the “others”.

« Reply #376 on: March 08, 2024, 10:44:37 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
Well, on the bright side, 4 of the 7 Finals would be in Boston and not the high altitude. 

Of course, that would require HCA actually being an advantage again for the Celtics after last year's letdowns at home.

Exactly. Even if it’s not a huge advantage, it’s still a hell of a lot better than playing in Denver. If Tatum has a below average game instead of a terrible one, C’s likely win last night. 15 points out of your best player isn’t going to cut it.

All it takes is losing Game 1 or 2 and HCA is gone. And seeing the track record, that's a strong possibility with this team.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #377 on: March 08, 2024, 10:56:40 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 877
Well, on the bright side, 4 of the 7 Finals would be in Boston and not the high altitude. 

Of course, that would require HCA actually being an advantage again for the Celtics after last year's letdowns at home.

Exactly. Even if it’s not a huge advantage, it’s still a hell of a lot better than playing in Denver. If Tatum has a below average game instead of a terrible one, C’s likely win last night. 15 points out of your best player isn’t going to cut it.

All it takes is losing Game 1 or 2 and HCA is gone. And seeing the track record, that's a strong possibility with this team.

I feel HCA in the finals, no matter who we play, is important.  It doesn't always factor in, you can lose in 6 or whatever, or you can win in 6, but it is still a big advantage, and we would need every advantage we can get in a series vs. DEN.  No matter how you want to break it down, our chances to win the series are better with HCA.  I see no reason to discount that advantage.

We have about a 5 game lead over the top west teams.  We have a pretty easy schedule down the stretch, after this road trip anyway.  The team should be be taking it very seriously to hold on to HCA.  Stay motivated, stay focused.  Closing out the season with HCA is the next big step towards winning title.  It is the most important thing (they should be treating it that way).  Then something else will be the most important thing.  But this is the next thing up to take care of.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 11:03:09 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #378 on: March 08, 2024, 11:05:43 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 179
That White 3 too, it was a good look, can’t ask for more than that.

An NBA Finals matchup would be thrilling, definitely a 7 Game series

Denver in 5… based on what are we taking them 7?

Denver is a bad match up for Boston but Denver might not make it out of the west. They have had their own moments this season.

But it’s a guarantee Boston makes it out of the east? Gotcha.
More likely Denver makes the finals and Boston doesn’t in my opinion.

Never said that. I know that it would ruin your day if the Celtics did get to the finals but oh well.

I was responding that Denver is a tough match up for the Cs. That is it. And it would benefit Boston IF the Cs made it to the finals to draw someone else.

Kinda sucks but I don’t see anyone stopping jokic

« Reply #379 on: March 08, 2024, 11:10:57 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3016
  • On To Banner 18!
My main issue with Tatum is that he seems to pick and choose when to show up and also, he plays into what opponents do.

Like sure, it’s cool when Tatum has 20 2nd half points in a game and finishes with 29 total. But on the flip side, if that first half is 9 points on like 2/12 shooting while the game is close or you’re losing, that doesn’t help. There are long periods in games where he’s just a passenger and doing cardio out there.

You can get away with it in the regular season mostly and maybe even the first 1-2 rounds of the playoffs. But ECF and Finals? It’s very hard.

Peak Lebron would always find ways to still score and contribute even when shooting poorly. It’s why he always has at least 10+ points in a game, he has some streak going there. Look at Jokic last night. Efficient first half. Great 2nd half and just tons of smart decisions and good shot making. He didn’t just show up for a quarter it was consistently good basketball all night.

We kept thinking in the 2022 Finals Tatum would flip a switch and unfortunately he didn’t. Even last year against the Sixers it was looking dire especially Game 6 until he showed up the final 4 minutes. It would be nice if he was consistent
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #380 on: March 08, 2024, 11:15:13 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 684
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Some things need to be corrected tomorrow. Can't come out and get behind like they did vs Denver.

« Reply #381 on: March 08, 2024, 11:58:38 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Looks like the game plan vs. the C's is to let JB go off and stop everyone else....Didn't work against GSW, but it did last night.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #382 on: March 08, 2024, 12:23:14 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395

I feel HCA in the finals, no matter who we play, is important.  It doesn't always factor in, you can lose in 6 or whatever, or you can win in 6, but it is still a big advantage, and we would need every advantage we can get in a series vs. DEN.  No matter how you want to break it down, our chances to win the series are better with HCA.  I see no reason to discount that advantage.

We have about a 5 game lead over the top west teams.  We have a pretty easy schedule down the stretch, after this road trip anyway.  The team should be be taking it very seriously to hold on to HCA.  Stay motivated, stay focused.  Closing out the season with HCA is the next big step towards winning title.  It is the most important thing (they should be treating it that way).  Then something else will be the most important thing.  But this is the next thing up to take care of.

HCA matters but it isn’t because of the stars. Stars generally always show up. Denver’s bench played great and that usually only happens at home. This goes for all benches

- LilRip

« Reply #383 on: March 08, 2024, 12:38:37 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I wish they'd just play Jokic straight up, no double-teaming. He'll undoubtedly score a lot, but he still scores a lot even when double-teamed. The thing is, you can't shut down Jokic, but you can shut down Denver's role players if you're paying defensive attention to them. Can't let guys like Gordon, Porter, KCP, and Watson beat you. Denver has a TON of energy when the role players get activated, so they need to prevent that. Especially need to keep Gordon off the boards.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #384 on: March 08, 2024, 12:42:28 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1690
A positive thought after a frustrating game:  Jaylen came close to beating the Nuggets by himself.  Shame about the free throws, and bigger shame that nobody showed up to help him, but the Nuggets could not stop him.  I don't think he's getting enough credit for how he played.  That was pretty special. 

« Reply #385 on: March 08, 2024, 12:51:21 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 684
  • MASTER OF PANIC
A positive thought after a frustrating game:  Jaylen came close to beating the Nuggets by himself.  Shame about the free throws, and bigger shame that nobody showed up to help him, but the Nuggets could not stop him.  I don't think he's getting enough credit for how he played.  That was pretty special.

Yeah....just a little from someone else and Boston wins. I hope Saturday we see it.

« Reply #386 on: March 08, 2024, 01:00:59 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
Guys let's just focus on winning the East... I would really like to avoid Miami not worried about Bucks with Doc Rivers although Philly with a healthy Joel and Nick Nurse at the helm could present a challange.

Also give Denver the Respect they deserve they only lost 4 games the entire 2023 playoffs they are elite and NBA Champions.

« Reply #387 on: March 08, 2024, 01:39:38 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 551
After sleeping on it, I feel slightly less pessimistic than last night. Despite a likely season-worst Tatum night, 11 missed free throws, sub-30% shooting, and double digit turnovers - with almost all of those issues being primarily self-inflicted - we lost by 6 and had a wide open three to go up with 50 seconds left. And while Denver underperformed in a few areas, too, I don’t think it was nearly as much as us.

It seems like it will essentially be a coin flip series if meting in the Finals, with the series being decided on the margins, which I have to say isn’t necessarily much more comforting with our players’ and coaching track record.

I think the offense will sort itself out, as we’ve shot poorly both games and should improve there. Free throws will be better, and JT won’t put up those stinkers every game. It’s defensively where I think the coaching staff and players have the most work to do. Going to have to figure out some sort of scheme to balance individual coverage of Jokic with stopping the “others”.

Largely agree. The series is a coin, Celtics have home court, and getting out of the East SHOULD be easier than getting out of the west. Denver has a big advantage in that they have the clear cut best player in the NBA. But its a 50/50 series all things considered.

« Reply #388 on: March 08, 2024, 03:46:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3016
  • On To Banner 18!

Yeah I would still prefer having HCA over not. But at the same time, this team is a combined 10-12 at home the last two postseasons combined with a few killer losses (Game 6 Finals, Game 7 ECF, three pivotal Game 5s against MIL/ATL/PHI, etc.). The good news though is they are pretty solid on the road actually.

But typically the teams that win it all also take care of business at home. Denver went 10-1 at home in the playoffs last year. Bucks in 2021 were 10-1. Warriors 2022 were 11-1. It's not just about the effects of home/road, but the path. The last 3 teams to win it all had pretty easy paths with maybe only 1 tough series mixed in. Essentially they cruised to the Finals and didn't have many Game 7s to deal with. Again, that's a testament to being dominant at home and taking care of business with HCA.

Unfortunately the C's have played with their food often and choked at home. Even in their Finals run 2022, there was no reason they should have gone 7 games against Miami nor should they have gone 7 against MIL if they simply didn't play with their food at home. C's have been dominant at home this season, hope it carries into April through June.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #389 on: March 08, 2024, 03:55:31 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1491

+1, you explained how I felt as well.   We kind of wasted a really great game from JB.