Author Topic: New basketball league for American whites only  (Read 29112 times)

Re: New basketball league for American whites only
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2010, 02:51:23 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I don't see how anyone could read the league commissioner's comments in the article and not think they're racist.

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2010, 02:55:18 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Well, it certainly sounds and APPEARS to be a bad idea and racist...But:

Is this idea born out of a racist mentality? Or is it born out of something else? We cannot always judge a book by its cover, no matter how bad it may appear...trust me on that.

Has anyone actually spoken with the originators of this potential league?

This is somewhat reminiscent of a thread we had a few months ago here - something dealing with lack of white americans in the NBA?

Now THAT thread puzzled me..the discussion was good, but all we could come up with were suppositions..

I remember the days of the 80's...the names that readily come to mind are: Kevin Mchale, Larry Bird, Danny Ainge, Tom Chambers, Jeff Ruland, Bill Laimbeer, MArk Eaton, John Stockton, Jack Sikma, Bobby Jones...all dominant players and All-Stars if I'm not mistaken.

Where have they all gone? American-born players?

I cannot believe that Genetics is an issue - just during my last tour of service on a Carrier, I saw at Least TWO fellows that had to be at least 6'10"..they were young and lean, too. (And yes an Aircraft Carrier is probably the only class of Navy Ship that could comfortably fit these men, lol).

I know that we have Kevin Love (Future All-Star I think). Cole Aldrich will be a lottery Pick I believe....but everyone else seems foreign-borne (Dirk Nowitski, Chris Kaman, etc....).

So it's one thing if this new league wants to actively discriminate, becuase that would be wrong..but is there another issue these folks are trying to bring awareness to?

I apologize ahead of time if my post offends. Just some food for thought.

I was def thinking the same thing as I read the article.  I was trying to be skeptical, thinking that perhaps the reason was to promote white people playing basketball, or maybe even promoting basketball amongst white people to fight the stereotype that black people are naturally good at basketball and therefore improving the chances of succeeding in the game.  But then you read his quote and you see that is not the case.  His reasons are wrong for so many reasons.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2010, 03:11:57 PM »

Offline cargomaniac

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • It is time for 18
Once again...we show how truly ignorant that we are.

I am white and wouldnt walk within 200 miles of that bull. You play to your ability. If someone is darker than me and a better player, how is this his fault?

Next you will be telling me about the American White Celtic Blog.....Edgar, send me the link for the all Spanish Celtic Site...I need to rant somemore....

Another sad example of the stupidity that drives our country.

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2010, 03:17:45 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Maybe they can recruit some guys from the baseball team

Yup

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2010, 03:25:19 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
Maybe they can recruit some guys from the baseball team

Just seeing that picture sends a chill through my spine.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2010, 03:36:50 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2010/01/19/nba_563760.shtml

A new professional basketball league boasting rosters made up exclusively of white Americans has its eyes set on Augusta, but the team isn't receiving a warm welcome.

The All-American Basketball Alliance announced in a news release Sunday evening that it intends to start its inaugural season in June and hopes Augusta will be one of 12 cities with a team.

"Only players that are natural born United States citizens with both parents of Caucasian race are eligible to play in the league," the statement said.

Hahaha....Based off of these rules, I hope that a Black person  who was adpoted by a white couple, and was born in the United states. Puts his name in this leagues draft. hahaha

Adonal Foyle qualifies under this I think; I doubt he wants the playing time that badly though.

I am white and wouldnt walk within 200 miles of that bull. You play to your ability. If someone is darker than me and a better player, how is this his fault?

Next you will be telling me about the American White Celtic Blog.....Edgar, send me the link for the all Spanish Celtic Site...I need to rant somemore....

I wouldn't go pinning this on society; I'm pretty sure this will be very loudly and publicly rejected in every forum it comes up, like it is here.  If I had to bet I'd say they'll wind up never playing a single game.  The actions of a few bigoted idiots don't speak for the country as a whole.

Also, for the lawyers out there, isn't this just flat-out illegal?  Discrimination by race or nationality is I'm pretty sure Constitutionally prohibited, and I think that applies to private organizations too. 

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2010, 03:45:03 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I predict this will not end well.
Nor should it.  I think one of the rules should be that only women over the age of 58 who can speak Cantonese can buy tickets.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2010, 03:49:02 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2010/01/19/nba_563760.shtml

A new professional basketball league boasting rosters made up exclusively of white Americans has its eyes set on Augusta, but the team isn't receiving a warm welcome.

The All-American Basketball Alliance announced in a news release Sunday evening that it intends to start its inaugural season in June and hopes Augusta will be one of 12 cities with a team.

"Only players that are natural born United States citizens with both parents of Caucasian race are eligible to play in the league," the statement said.

Hahaha....Based off of these rules, I hope that a Black person  who was adpoted by a white couple, and was born in the United states. Puts his name in this leagues draft. hahaha

Adonal Foyle qualifies under this I think; I doubt he wants the playing time that badly though.

I wouldn't go pinning this on society; I'm pretty sure this will be very loudly and publicly rejected in every forum it comes up, like it is here.  If I had to bet I'd say they'll wind up never playing a single game.  The actions of a few bigoted idiots don't speak for the country as a whole.

Also, for the lawyers out there, isn't this just flat-out illegal?  Discrimination by race or nationality is I'm pretty sure Constitutionally prohibited, and I think that applies to private organizations too. 

About the discrimination legality, what was the basis of Negro Baseball Leagues and such things.  Perhaps that is the same legal issues they are doing this, although like someone had said before, the reason they had such leagues was because blacks couldn't play in the major league.  That is a good question though.

Also, kind of random, but I saw something on how some black universities down south actually have a bunch of white players playing on the baseball team.  The reason is that just isn't enough black baseball players so they have to go with whites.  That would be kind of random, a white guy playing in the black league.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2010, 03:50:47 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Is this idea born out of a racist mentality? Or is it born out of something else? We cannot always judge a book by its cover, no matter how bad it may appear...trust me on that.

This is somewhat reminiscent of a thread we had a few months ago here - something dealing with lack of white americans in the NBA?

Now THAT thread puzzled me..the discussion was good, but all we could come up with were suppositions..

I remember the days of the 80's...the names that readily come to mind are: Kevin Mchale, Larry Bird, Danny Ainge, Tom Chambers, Jeff Ruland, Bill Laimbeer, MArk Eaton, John Stockton, Jack Sikma, Bobby Jones...all dominant players and All-Stars if I'm not mistaken.

I cannot believe that Genetics is an issue - just during my last tour of service on a Carrier, I saw at Least TWO fellows that had to be at least 6'10"..they were young and lean, too. (And yes an Aircraft Carrier is probably the only class of Navy Ship that could comfortably fit these men, lol).

I know that we have Kevin Love (Future All-Star I think). Cole Aldrich will be a lottery Pick I believe....but everyone else seems foreign-borne (Dirk Nowitski, Chris Kaman, etc....).

So it's one thing if this new league wants to actively discriminate, becuase that would be wrong..but is there another issue these folks are trying to bring awareness to?

I was def thinking the same thing as I read the article.  I was trying to be skeptical, thinking that perhaps the reason was to promote white people playing basketball, or maybe even promoting basketball amongst white people to fight the stereotype that black people are naturally good at basketball and therefore improving the chances of succeeding in the game.  But then you read his quote and you see that is not the case.  His reasons are wrong for so many reasons.

Good Point.

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2010, 04:58:58 PM »

Offline BigRedDog423

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Connecting fundamentals to race is racism at it's very finest. If they really wanted this league to be more fundamentals, make it a 12 foot rim, limit dribbling and allow hand checks. Make the rules different, not the races. This guys an Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline..

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2010, 05:03:09 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

In my mind, I'd have just as much of a problem if somebody tried to start a baseball league where membership was confined to black Americans.

Membership based upon no factor other than race is discrimination, as I see it.  It's wrong.  Also, I'm not a civil rights attorney, but I would assume that this would also be illegal, if the arenas they're using, etc., are places of public accommodation.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2010, 06:47:01 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2010, 06:50:43 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Is it 1955?
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2010, 06:52:23 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
At first I thought this was giving respect to African Americans because white Americans can't hang with them on the basketball court, but looking at the quotes the guy in charge is a clueless racist.

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2010, 06:57:30 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
It's racist and stupid, but not illegal under federal law. Has the Augusta CC (home of the Masters) admitted a Black member yet?  I don't think so.

It would be illegal to prohibit Blacks from attending the games (presumably to have a good laugh)or selling concessions, but not to restrict the rosters.

If LeBron decided that he wanted to play in the WNBA, could the league prevent him from playing? (Hint: the answer is yes).