Author Topic: Where's the best (and worst) places you ever traveled?  (Read 113833 times)

Re: Where's the best (and worst) places you ever traveled?
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2013, 12:17:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Ohio

« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
great thread, getting all sorts of new travel ideas

the best place I've ever visited hands down has to be Beqa island in Fiji, but probably gets an asterick b/c it was our honeymoon...

lots of other great places though:
punta abrejos, baja mx.  avila beach, ca.  newport, ri.  menemsha, ma.  molokai, hi.  mt baker, wa.  valley of the moon, anza borrego.  rotnest island, w oz.  colorado national monument.

least favorite places that i've traveled to:
datona, fl or  outer banks, nc

« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2013, 02:43:52 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Have hit 48 of the 50 US states thus far. Three road trips the last three summers. Love it. Favorite places city wise have been Seattle, Austin, Louisville, Chicago.

Favorite National Parks have been Bryce Canyon, Olympic, Mammoth Caves, Assateague Island... There is so much Im forgetting.
Other notables:

Flagstaff, AZ. Camping on the cities highest elevated mountain where Flagstaff has the lowest level of light pollution in American, stargazing was pretty incredible. Saw about 7 to 8 shooting stars in an hours time with no meteors or any special events going on.

Meeting Eddie Vedder in Seattle.

Alcatraz Island in San Fran.

Man I could go on and on.

« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2013, 02:46:25 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
great thread, getting all sorts of new travel ideas

the best place I've ever visited hands down has to be Beqa island in Fiji, but probably gets an asterick b/c it was our honeymoon...

lots of other great places though:
punta abrejos, baja mx.  avila beach, ca.  newport, ri.  menemsha, ma.  molokai, hi.  mt baker, wa.  valley of the moon, anza borrego.  rotnest island, w oz.  colorado national monument.

least favorite places that i've traveled to:
datona, fl or  outer banks, nc

I went to Mana, Fiji which was pretty dope.

On way back from Australia with my then GF were there for about a week. Stayed in a hostel with own room/bathroom for like $50 a night including meals.

Only semi-issue which was kinda funny was that the water was legit too warm. Even if you were chest deep it was really warm water.

Fiji was exactly what we expected which was awesome

« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2013, 05:53:46 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
my best:

nyc-(i live there and luv it)

tokyo-(i went my freshman year of high school and i've been wanting to go back ever since)

my worst:

boston-(went to an open house for college, kinda racy out there)

detroit-(got jumped twice. no offense to anybody that may live in detroit, but there is bitterness out there)

atlanta-(too hot, too many ducks in the area i was in, too many birds aka chicken head girls, and their accents. no offense to any atlanta born ppl)

« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2013, 08:13:26 PM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".
My Favorites

1) San Francisco
2) Mendocino
(Just got back from 2 weeks in cali)

"The City" is just so many different places in one small compact City. Sports, Music, Fine Arts...even go to see part of the America's Cup racing.

Northern Cali is beautiful, isolated and perfect for getting off the grid. The Mendocino area is a personal fave.

3) DC (I spent 2 weeks there this summer volunteering at the Smithsonian FolkLife festival)

I LOVE DC. I'm not a big flag waiver but it the place always makes me proud to be an American.

4) Sedona AZ - ANother beautiful isolated place that is almost alien in its geography (and lifestyle....there are some, let's say...interesting people there.)

Least Favorite, Orlando Florida...or pretty much any place in Florida besides the Keys or Gulf Islands.

It might as well be a mall in anyplace usa. The two exceptions I listed are almost complete opposites, The keys for general debauchery, the islands for general peace and quiet.
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2013, 08:18:49 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
my best:

tokyo-(i went my freshman year of high school and i've been wanting to go back ever since)

my worst:

detroit-(got jumped twice. no offense to anybody that may live in detroit, but there is bitterness out there)

atlanta-(too hot, too many ducks in the area i was in, too many birds aka chicken head girls, and their accents. no offense to any atlanta born ppl)

aint nuthin wrong with a..

www.youtube.com/v/hdzU3tXXd8Q?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0

« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2013, 02:21:22 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
my best:

my worst:

Atlanta also seems to have pretty bad air quality.

« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2013, 02:28:30 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
My all time favorite is Mont Saint Michel in France.

Iceland is like a different planet. Pretty amazing.

Being from NY, I'm pretty jaded about cities. Still, I love SF and London. I guess I love visiting big cities in general.

Worst? Manila. Insanely dirty. Public transportation is incredibly uncomfortable. You are really forced to spend all your time in malls. Stick to the scenic places like Boracay.

I need to do a lot more travel. Too many great places abroad that I haven't seen.

« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2013, 05:26:55 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
You get the wrong idea if you stick to highway driving.  I have had the wrong idea.  Kansas is beautiful.  This was the first time I had gotten off the highway.  Was blown away by the musicians in the banjo and guitar contests at Winfield.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2013, 07:49:37 AM »

Offline AidaCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
Best (in no particular order);
Vanuatu
Fiji
Phuket, Thailand
San Francisco
Gol Coast, Australia - heading there Thursday to Sunday (end of season footy trip)
Hong Kong

Worst;
LA - plenty of "landmarks" and attractions are overrated (Rodeo Drive, Mings, markets)
Bangkok - most of the city is fantastic. Went there for the 2nd time a couple of months ago and the place we stayed seemed like it was in a ghetto
Jakarta, Indonesia - unbelievably busy, dirty, infrastructure terrible
Expectations, Execution, No Excuses

« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2013, 08:34:36 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
I went to Italy a couple years ago for my Honeymoon and it was my favorite, but partially because I'm Italian. The food is obviously amazing, the people are warm, the wine is delicious... and the WOMEN! Yikes... They all look like Alyssa Milano and Sara Varano.

Went to Paris this year... pretty similar. Great people, beautiful women, lots of wine. Europe is Heaven.

« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2013, 12:08:21 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I've loved a bunch of spots some of my more memorable and distant trips:

Railay Bay and Ko Phi Phi - Thailand

Fraser Island (stars at night was one of the most amazing sites ive ever seen)and Whitsunday Islands - Australia

All places I don't want to go back but need to go back to. Will be severely dissapointed if I don't make it back in my life time.

I do still have plenty of places to travel including a lot of Europe.

Hopefully Brazil for WC this summer and Munich next years oktoberfest. Maybe those will get bumped up on best place to travel

I don't like saying worst because its based on my expectations going in. I also would go back to these places in a heart beat, just didn't have the best time:

Dominican Republic - went this past summer with 6 other couple to an all inclusive. Food was pretty crappy, and I think everyone of us got sick from something. No we didn't drink water etc. One of my friends even ended up at mass general for a couple days after we got back.

Dubai - everything about the "city" (minus the tempature) was very cold and uninviting. Coming from Iran where are are the most friendly, inviting, accomodating people to Dubai jist left a sour taste. Had some fun there but any time I have a friend going I somewhat prepare them and when they come back they then "get it". Also having prostitutes literally hang off you and your dads arms trying to gt you to take them home was extremely uncomfortable

« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2014, 04:26:17 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Let me plug my home country a bit. Watamu is an amazing location, he you can hustle an apartment near the beach. (tourist hotels all over the nation are just plain expensive because its possible). A dhow ride with Swahili cuisine comes high on the to do list. Nairobi's a fun city if you don't mind elite level lack of organisation and general tardiness. However its a fun city for varied culture, food and night life plus there is an amazing National Park right there at its door step.  Speaking of wild life, Kenya is pretty good for Game reserves. The annual Gnu migration is a must see.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2014, 08:23:00 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Best as defined how?

For me, the "best" place to visit would be Hong Kong, though Chiang Mai Thailand is close.
The best place to live is Monterey California.

Worst place I have visited is East St. Louis.
Worst place to live is the same.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva