Author Topic: Bronny James has cardiac arrest - is recovering  (Read 40936 times)

Re: Bronny James has cardiac arrest - is recovering
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2023, 02:38:51 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Supposedly basketball players have the highest rate of cardiac arrest among athletes. People think of Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis, but there was also Zeke Upshaw who died during a G-League game in 2018.

Also think of Shaq's son, Shareef O'Neal, who had to sit out at UCLA with a heart condition (but is back playing again).  Not sure if the risks are comparable, but his generational wealth hasn't stopped him from playing.

But as unfortunate as these situations are, always positively reminds me of former Celtic Ryan Gomes, as he was actively raising awareness for cardiac arrest and donating defibrillators to schools and gyms during his career, and directly saved a player's life because of it.

I wonder how much of the increased risk is due to conditions like Marfan Syndrome.  I read once that there was a correlation between Marfan's and NBA players.

Of course all sorts of people love to blame the Covid vaccine.

Yeah, been seeing some of that on Twitter today since the news dropped.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2023, 02:47:57 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Supposedly basketball players have the highest rate of cardiac arrest among athletes. People think of Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis, but there was also Zeke Upshaw who died during a G-League game in 2018.

Also think of Shaq's son, Shareef O'Neal, who had to sit out at UCLA with a heart condition (but is back playing again).  Not sure if the risks are comparable, but his generational wealth hasn't stopped him from playing.

But as unfortunate as these situations are, always positively reminds me of former Celtic Ryan Gomes, as he was actively raising awareness for cardiac arrest and donating defibrillators to schools and gyms during his career, and directly saved a player's life because of it.

I wonder how much of the increased risk is due to conditions like Marfan Syndrome.  I read once that there was a correlation between Marfan's and NBA players.

And to be clear:  if anybody comes in here pushing that agenda, their post will be deleted.  We don't need politically-motivated speculation in here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2023, 02:54:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

And to be clear:  if anybody comes in here pushing that agenda, their post will be deleted.  We don't need politically-motivated speculation in here.

Glad to hear roy it is pretty tasteless stuff

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2023, 03:09:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Wow ……mother nature sure has a way of bringing life back to a center position.  You never would have thought Superman’s son would have such a genetic defect as heart issue. Lebron seems indestructible.

My 95 year old uncle smoked early in life and still drinks like a fish today  .  He has no cancers or heart problems…..just a life long alcoholic .   I often imagine if he had actually taken care of himself right .  He has already out lived all his children , sharp as tack and loves drive his car ….unfortunately to the ABC store :-X

Hope Bronnie lives right and a long time .  He won’t need any money at least .

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2023, 03:25:52 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Holy cow - that was a shocking thread title.

So glad that got the heart beating and that he’s likely to recover.  I know a few people who had CA - all were in fortunate positions to have pretty quick access to AED.   My understanding is that this can be out of the blue with no warning and no related heart disease.??

A friend had CA on a tennis court - they had an AED at the facility and it saved him. He had a pacemaker implanted and is fine.  fyi: he was probably about 60 when it happened.   He did have heart issues in his family.

Of course I hope Bronny recovers 100%.  As for basketball I hope his doctors provide sage advice. Tough choice for a kid who has probably thought about playing pro basketball every day of his life.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 04:29:46 PM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2023, 04:25:57 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

thank you roy....though i think you misspelled "non-sensical BS" above.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2023, 05:09:38 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620

I've heard Shaq say many many many times. That's his money not his kids money they got to earn theirs.
ok fine

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2023, 05:11:49 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620

Because young men are dying of heart attacks at an alarming rate. I think it's a valid topic to discuss.
ok fine

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2023, 05:22:25 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Not a fan of LeBron, but I  would not wish this on anyone.  Hope the  kid has a full recovery

as for the Marfan's it's a reach

The vast majority of tall athletes do not have Marfan syndrome.

https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/articles/2015/03/02/13/03/recognizing-marfan-syndrome-in-athletes.

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2023, 05:26:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Man, incredibly poor luck. Really feel for the whole family. Dream isn’t dead (look at Keyontae) but gotta feel that it might be worth changing lanes. So much at stake
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2023, 06:17:07 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Man, incredibly poor luck. Really feel for the whole family. Dream isn’t dead (look at Keyontae) but gotta feel that it might be worth changing lanes. So much at stake

Yeah, and I guess even sadder is I feel like bronny had as much pressure to get to the nba as quickly as just about anyone to have chance to play with his dad. Even the players that have come back have missed serious amounts of time. But yeah Reggie Lewis was my favorite player as a kid after bird so I would do all the caution in the world on this.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 06:27:36 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2023, 06:53:10 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Really terrible news and thankfully if he is out of the ICU there likely wasn't much (or any) long term damage meaning they were able to restart his heart very quickly. I'm sure he had the best emergency care and access to AED at USC when it happened. People will inevitably speculate because of his situation, but I think it's too early right now to think about his sporting future, I'm sure what they are focusing on is his health. His teammate Vincent Iwuchukwu suffered a cardiac arrest last year and returned to play for USC in a number of games, so his future's not over by any means, but that will come in time. Get yourself well first young man.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2023, 07:52:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
On a different note, this happened yesterday but there was basically no reporting on it until the family released a statement today.  How does that happen in this day and age?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2023, 09:01:46 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
On a different note, this happened yesterday but there was basically no reporting on it until the family released a statement today.  How does that happen in this day and age?

USC and the James family did an incredibly superb job at killing the story for a day...they would have done the CIA proud  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2023, 06:25:11 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

USC and the James family did an incredibly superb job at killing the story for a day...they would have done the CIA proud  :police:

In all honesty, what a much better thing to actually have a story like this without the initial 24 hours of rampant speculation.  So much more respectful to the family, to Bronny himself, to his teammates and friends.  We actually received news -a story with some information - as opposed to a shocking headline with only unanswered questions.