Author Topic: Warming To The Idea That Not Signing A MAX-FA Would Be Wise  (Read 22602 times)

Re: Warming To The Idea That Not Signing A MAX-FA Would Be Wise
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2017, 10:44:38 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
We have the #1 pick (YAY!)

And I think this makes the scenario I created here MORE likely.

The only difference maker we'd be losing is Bradley, and we'd be replacing him with Hayward and Fultz.

There's no guarantee that we'd retain Amir, JJ, Green, etc., but even if we assume they'd all come back, is that really a big loss?

In: Hayward, Fultz, Zizic, Nader, #37, room exception

Out: AB, Amir, Jerebko, Zeller, Mickey, Young, Jackson, Green

Which set of players would you prefer? We'd be upgrading.

Firstly it's unfair to list the players like that. Aside from Hayward those players are coming in regardless.

Secondly I'm still not sure that works under the cap. I'm using Ryan Bernardoni's roster builder and trading away Bradley for a future pick still leaves us $700k short. Even trading away Jackson instead of waiving him leaves us $450k short.

I think it comes down to this; regardless of whether you move Olynyk or Bradley, Rozier must be moved as well to open up a max slot space. This is on the assumption that we want to definitely bring Zizic over (which I think we're all in agreement on). Yab stays overseas.

Setting all else aside it's essentially Hayward vs Bradley and Rozier. We'd be much thinner in the back court after that trade.

None of this of course is mentioning the luxury tax implications once we re-sign Isaiah and Marcus in 2018, assuming that you would intend to re-sign them?

Hayward for Bradley + Rozier is a huge steal for us, especially when Rozier is being replaced by Fultz.

That's on the assumption that we have to move Rozier, which isn't a given. The projections that have us being $400k short are making assumptions about the CBA that are contradicted by written reports.

If Hayward signs and we keep Fultz, Crowder has no place on the team except as a small ball power forward on a team that already has to find more minutes for Jaylen Brown. Keeping Bradley and KO is better for the future than keeping Crowder, Smart and Rozier.

« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2017, 10:51:04 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The only difference maker we'd be losing is Bradley, and we'd be replacing him with Hayward and Fultz.

There's no guarantee that we'd retain Amir, JJ, Green, etc., but even if we assume they'd all come back, is that really a big loss?

Firstly it's unfair to list the players like that. Aside from Hayward those players are coming in regardless.

Secondly I'm still not sure that works under the cap. I'm using Ryan Bernardoni's roster builder and trading away Bradley for a future pick still leaves us $700k short. Even trading away Jackson instead of waiving him leaves us $450k short.

I think it comes down to this; regardless of whether you move Olynyk or Bradley, Rozier must be moved as well to open up a max slot space. This is on the assumption that we want to definitely bring Zizic over (which I think we're all in agreement on). Yab stays overseas.

Setting all else aside it's essentially Hayward vs Bradley and Rozier. We'd be much thinner in the back court after that trade.

None of this of course is mentioning the luxury tax implications once we re-sign Isaiah and Marcus in 2018, assuming that you would intend to re-sign them?

Hayward for Bradley + Rozier is a huge steal for us, especially when Rozier is being replaced by Fultz.

That's on the assumption that we have to move Rozier, which isn't a given. The projections that have us being $400k short are making assumptions about the CBA that are contradicted by written reports.

If Hayward signs and we keep Fultz, Crowder has no place on the team except as a small ball power forward on a team that already has to find more minutes for Jaylen Brown. Keeping Bradley and KO is better for the future than keeping Crowder, Smart and Rozier.

Not really. Hayward can play SG, and AB's contract is expiring. Crowder is still on a team-friendly deal.

We can keep KO, Crowder, Smart and Rozier, plus add Hayward, Fultz and Zizic.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2017, 11:00:46 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Not really. Hayward can play SG, and AB's contract is expiring. Crowder is still on a team-friendly deal.

I think you'd want Fultz at SG, since we clearly want Thomas at PG. 

That leaves Crowder and Hayward fighting over the SF spot.  You can't bring Crowder off the bench, because then there's no minutes for Brown.  And you cant start Crowder at PF because he's too small to be used in that role permanently.

If making a trade for Hayward it would just make more sense to give Crowder and either one of Bradley/Smart in the deal.  You're not going to find playing time for Thomas, Fultz, Bradley, Smart and Rozier - just not going to happen. If you trade Bradley then you can bring Rozier and Smart off the bench, and if you trade Smart then you can bring Bradley and Rozier off the bench. 

Personally I'd rather keep Bradley and move Crowder + Smart (Bradley has been a more consistent contributor to this team and is more likely to win us games with his scoring and D) but not sure if that makes sense cap wise, or if Bradley would be particularly happy being knocked out of his starting role by a rookie Fultz (ironically, a bit of a repeat of the Bradley/Ray scenario).

« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2017, 11:10:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

That leaves Crowder and Hayward fighting over the SF spot.  You can't bring Crowder off the bench, because then there's no minutes for Brown.  And you cant start Crowder at PF because he's too small to be used in that role permanently.

If making a trade for Hayward it would just make more sense to give Crowder and either one of Bradley/Smart in the deal.  You're not going to find playing time for Thomas, Fultz, Bradley, Smart and Rozier - just not going to happen. If you trade Bradley then you can bring Rozier and Smart off the bench, and if you trade Smart then you can bring Bradley and Rozier off the bench. 

Personally I'd rather keep Bradley and move Crowder + Smart (Bradley has been a more consistent contributor to this team and is more likely to win us games with his scoring and D) but not sure if that makes sense cap wise, or if Bradley would be particularly happy being knocked out of his starting role by a rookie Fultz (ironically, a bit of a repeat of the Bradley/Ray scenario).

Why is Fultz guaranteed a starting role?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2017, 11:10:10 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell

Hayward is 6'8 with average quickness for a small forward. Yes, he can play SG in certain situations, but on a team with Fultz, Smart, Brown and Rozier, how often would that happen?

Crowder has a great contract for one more year than Avery does. The money only matters for the upcoming free agent season. After that, Crowder's contract won't have much strategic value any more anyway. I'm not picking Crowder over Bradley just to save the owners a few dollars.

« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2017, 11:11:23 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Bradley wouldn't get knocked out of a starting role by Fultz, it didn't happen with Jaylen and it won't happen with Fultz. At least a few years til that happens.

If you sign or trade for a max player then Crowder is almost an essential keeper because of the contract. Now I'm contradicting myself because I would trade him but from a cap standpoint you really do need him. Otherwise the cap scenario I described above gets even worse.

« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2017, 11:24:32 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Bradley wouldn't get knocked out of a starting role by Fultz, it didn't happen with Jaylen and it won't happen with Fultz. At least a few years til that happens.

If you sign or trade for a max player then Crowder is almost an essential keeper because of the contract. Now I'm contradicting myself because I would trade him but from a cap standpoint you really do need him. Otherwise the cap scenario I described above gets even worse.

In fact, if Fultz was a very efficient scorer from day 1, it's more likely he takes IT's place as a starter than Bradley's. As weird as it may sound at first.

« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2017, 11:28:21 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1764
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't even understand the disagreement with Roy here.

- Crowder needs to stay over Bradley (and his deal is for 2 additional years, not 1). With so many players set to make oodles of money, Crowder is incredibly valuable, especially when we venture into luxury tax land after next season.

- Hayward is an upgrade over Bradley. I am of the opinion that I really want to keep Rozier so I hope that $450K can be worked out.

- Bradley is replaceable. Brown, Fultz, Smart, or Rozier can take the starting position next year. Hayward can play SF and Crowder can continue to bulk up and play most of his minutes at PF. Olynyk and Zizic are the two bigs off the bench.

- We can actually obtain a future asset for Bradley before he walks in FA. You would have to think a pick in the 10-15 range would be a given, even though he is expiring. There are lots of teams who will be at or near the cap that would love to have Avery's Bird Rights.

« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2017, 11:28:36 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395

In fact, if Fultz was a very efficient scorer from day 1, it's more likely he takes IT's place as a starter than Bradley's. As weird as it may sound at first.

IT is not going to go from all-star/MVP candidate to 6th man.

- LilRip

« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2017, 11:29:27 AM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48

I think there is close to a 0% chance Fultz starts in the beginning of the year.

If we trade bradley, Id expect brown to start at the 2.

Fultz will start on the bench. The idea Ive really come around to has been Crowder+Bradley for Saric. IDK if Philly does it, but this cleans up your 1-2-3 rotation: Thomas-Smart-Fultz-Rozier-hayward-Brown and also allows you do mantain some big man depth: Kelly, Saric, Horford, Zizic

The biggest reason to keep Crowder is his contract(3/21) but Saric is on a 3/12 deal.

The obvious concern here would be that you lose a LOT of defense.

« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2017, 11:42:42 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell

- Crowder needs to stay over Bradley (and his deal is for 2 additional years, not 1). With so many players set to make oodles of money, Crowder is incredibly valuable, especially when we venture into luxury tax land after next season.

- Hayward is an upgrade over Bradley. I am of the opinion that I really want to keep Rozier so I hope that $450K can be worked out.

- Bradley is replaceable. Brown, Fultz, Smart, or Rozier can take the starting position next year. Hayward can play SF and Crowder can continue to bulk up and play most of his minutes at PF. Olynyk and Zizic are the two bigs off the bench.

- We can actually obtain a future asset for Bradley before he walks in FA. You would have to think a pick in the 10-15 range would be a given, even though he is expiring. There are lots of teams who will be at or near the cap that would love to have Avery's Bird Rights.
I checked, and you are right. Crowder's current contract is two years longer than Bradley's.

Still the main point remains. Who cares about saving money after the next free agent season? We will be considerably over the cap the following year anyway. Why does it matter how much?

It's also true that Crowder's contract makes him a more valuable trade chip, even though Bradley is the better player. Getting a future mid round draft choice for Avery is the equivalent of letting him walk. That is a waste of a player who is extremely valuable.

« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2017, 12:24:21 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

I checked, and you are right. Crowder's current contract is two years longer than Bradley's.

Still the main point remains. Who cares about saving money after the next free agent season? We will be considerably over the cap the following year anyway. Why does it matter how much?

It's also true that Crowder's contract makes him a more valuable trade chip, even though Bradley is the better player. Getting a future mid round draft choice for Avery is the equivalent of letting him walk. That is a waste of a player who is extremely valuable.

It matters because the luxury tax is far more punitive under this CBA than in the past. It's been avoided in recent years largely because of the leaps in the salary cap but it is sure to impact teams in a big way going forward. It can essentially double a team's salary and get progressively worse if team's stay in the luxury tax for multiple years.

Prohkorov(?) of the Nets managed all of 1 season deep in the luxury tax before he bailed on it and he's a far richer man than most owners in the NBA.

« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2017, 02:08:39 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

If you don't start him, then you need to make him a 6th man and give him starter-like minutes, because otherwise you're wasting his talent and not giving him the opportunity he needs to develop...which is crazy for a guy as talented as he is.

And if you make him a 6th man then there aren't enough minutes for Smart (and pretty much none at all for Rozier).

Crowder's upside is limited, he mostly is who he is.  Seems like an odd choice to start him at SF, start Hayward at SG, and let your uber-talented #1 pick rot away on the bench.

« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2017, 02:17:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

If you don't start him, then you need to make him a 6th man and give him starter-like minutes, because otherwise you're wasting his talent and not giving him the opportunity he needs to develop...which is crazy for a guy as talented as he is.

And if you make him a 6th man then there aren't enough minutes for Smart (and pretty much none at all for Rozier).

How many #1 picks join the #1 seed in conference?

And what's so difficult about having three guards share minutes?

« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2017, 10:30:48 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
Most of these guys who would have to leave to acquire a max-FA aren't even doing anything and are practically liabilities... SMH.

This is looking like a real flawed roster now.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller