37 (80.4%)
Avery Bradley
4 (8.7%)
They are about the same
4 (8.7%)
Not sure
1 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Who is the better defender (overall): Marcus Smart or Avery Bradley?  (Read 7002 times)

Re: Who is the better defender (overall): Marcus Smart or Avery Bradley?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2015, 03:09:31 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I feel like AB is sorta one of those hard working defenders that is right behind you with everything you do and will capitalize on any mistake you make and force you to work as hard as possible...basically a very very good defender that has to be respected and accounted for at all times.

Smart I feel is more of a Jedi guy that knows what you are doing before you do it and you move your arm to the right and his hand is already there, and you just think "That's impossible".

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 03:11:11 PM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
Both excellent defenders, as everybody knows. I chose AB because, right now, if I had to choose between the two in a game to defend in a tight finish, he is still ahead. Ever so slightly.

Bradley is the best at pressuring guards at full court. I remember when every game he use to have a steal a game by applying this pressure, the offensive player used to protect the ball with his back and as soon as he gets distracted. Steal and an easy dunk for AB.

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2015, 03:12:22 PM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
I feel like AB is sorta one of those hard working defenders that is right behind you with everything you do and will capitalize on any mistake you make and force you to work as hard as possible...basically a very very good defender that has to be respected and accounted for at all times.

Smart I feel is more of a Jedi guy that knows what you are doing before you do it and you move your arm to the right and his hand is already there, and you just think "That's impossible".

TP! These two quotes are so true. I couldn't agree more.

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2015, 03:26:21 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I know most of the people in the forum will say Smart because he looks like he put more effort on D than Avery. But I think that post ASG, AB was superb defensively and had the same intensity as if it was 2013. I think that they both did a very good job on Irving and JR Smith in the playoffs.

These two players are both excellent defenders that deserve to be in any of the All Defensive Team ( I ain't saying that they must be there). But they are different because of their size and athleticism. So I'll make comparisons (in my opinion):

On-Ball Defense - AB wins here because he can defend at an high level elite point guards and smaller shooting guards and he does an helluva job in moving is feet quickly. Does an okay job against bigger guards. While, Marcus defend well smaller 1s as he moves his feet well but he might get burnt a bit but he can use his size in the post very well when 2s post him up (ask Harden).

Off-Ball Defense - I choose Smart simply because his IQ off-ball on D is one of the best in the league he understand where to position himself to defend effectively and he's active in the passive lanes. Bradley is good too, but he improved this season because I think Brad told him to focus on that.

Steals - About the same. People might think Smart because he gets more steals but I am sure that AB can get many steals but he focuses more on staying in front of his man.

Blocks - Not sure. I think they both are above average shot blockers for their size.

Screens - No doubt Marcus. This kid is so special in the way he battles through picks as bigs struggle to screen him effectively due to his powerful linebacker build. He rarely to go under the screens. AB is good at avoiding them due to his superior athleticism however he finds difficulty in going through the screens.

Well overall, I would like to say I prefer Marcus but not by much because they are both valuable defensively and they both combine to a very effective defensive duo (maybe the best defensive backcourt in the league?). The difference between the two is versatility. Marcus can defend up to 2.5 positions effectively (Pgs, SGs and some SFs) while AB can defend 1.5 effectively (Pgs and some SGs). Smart has the upside to be the next great perimeter defender and a perennial DPOY candidate a la Gary Payton while AB can be an very good perimeter defender who is a candidate for multiple NBA All Defensive Teams like Bruce Bowen.

Note: I am not saying they will be as good defensively as both guys.

So what's your opinion on this? Who is better? Why?

You left out one part of defense that I think sets Smart apart from Bradley and that is drawing offensive fouls.  Smart plays like a 10yr vet already in drawing contact.  He also annoys players more than any rookie I've ever seen.

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 03:27:57 PM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
I know most of the people in the forum will say Smart because he looks like he put more effort on D than Avery. But I think that post ASG, AB was superb defensively and had the same intensity as if it was 2013. I think that they both did a very good job on Irving and JR Smith in the playoffs.

These two players are both excellent defenders that deserve to be in any of the All Defensive Team ( I ain't saying that they must be there). But they are different because of their size and athleticism. So I'll make comparisons (in my opinion):

On-Ball Defense - AB wins here because he can defend at an high level elite point guards and smaller shooting guards and he does an helluva job in moving is feet quickly. Does an okay job against bigger guards. While, Marcus defend well smaller 1s as he moves his feet well but he might get burnt a bit but he can use his size in the post very well when 2s post him up (ask Harden).

Off-Ball Defense - I choose Smart simply because his IQ off-ball on D is one of the best in the league he understand where to position himself to defend effectively and he's active in the passive lanes. Bradley is good too, but he improved this season because I think Brad told him to focus on that.

Steals - About the same. People might think Smart because he gets more steals but I am sure that AB can get many steals but he focuses more on staying in front of his man.

Blocks - Not sure. I think they both are above average shot blockers for their size.

Screens - No doubt Marcus. This kid is so special in the way he battles through picks as bigs struggle to screen him effectively due to his powerful linebacker build. He rarely to go under the screens. AB is good at avoiding them due to his superior athleticism however he finds difficulty in going through the screens.

Well overall, I would like to say I prefer Marcus but not by much because they are both valuable defensively and they both combine to a very effective defensive duo (maybe the best defensive backcourt in the league?). The difference between the two is versatility. Marcus can defend up to 2.5 positions effectively (Pgs, SGs and some SFs) while AB can defend 1.5 effectively (Pgs and some SGs). Smart has the upside to be the next great perimeter defender and a perennial DPOY candidate a la Gary Payton while AB can be an very good perimeter defender who is a candidate for multiple NBA All Defensive Teams like Bruce Bowen.

Note: I am not saying they will be as good defensively as both guys.

So what's your opinion on this? Who is better? Why?

You left out one part of defense that I think sets Smart apart from Bradley and that is drawing offensive fouls.  Smart plays like a 10yr vet already in drawing contact.  He also annoys players more than any rookie I've ever seen.

True. Thanks for reminding me. I also forgot deflection and causing turnovers. I bet Marcus led the league in deflections and he's one of the best at causing turnovers.

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2015, 04:59:53 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
tp to maurice for the videos. those were really fun to watch. it also showed how smart and bradley have very different styles of playing defense. i was amazed to see how fast smart's feet are and how he could place himself in front of offensive players time after time.

good stuff.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2015, 05:24:51 PM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
tp to maurice for the videos. those were really fun to watch. it also showed how smart and bradley have very different styles of playing defense. i was amazed to see how fast smart's feet are and how he could place himself in front of offensive players time after time.

good stuff.  ;D

Thanks, man. I really appreciate it. Defense in these videos is like an art and if you didn't know Smart, you would never think he's a rookie on D.

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2015, 06:08:09 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
They are pretty close, but for the future I'd have to say Smart. It took AB a couple years to see the floor, and has had a three good years learning game and players. Smart came in just about right away and fit in defensively. If he works at it, it could be really scary how good he can be playing D.

AB right now can guard quicker smaller guards better, and can pressure the ball full court better.

But I don't recall a guy who can steel the pass from the guy he's guarding as often as Smart does. It's so crazy that he can read the guy he's guarding. Like some one says' he could be a Jedi. LOL.

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2015, 06:09:17 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Nice thread. TP.

I don't care, we have both of them. All we need is a Butler/Kwahi and a good D center and we shut the league down!

It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2015, 06:16:29 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Avery is a full court pest, but he seems extremely weak when trying to push through screens, and his short height/length is what will ultimately be his downfall.

Smart is a smarter all around defender, and the fact as someone stated, that this is even being compared, shows how defensively sound Smart was coming out of college. I remember I saw a few USA basketball highlights, when Smart/Randle were playing on that team, and Jones was getting smoked by Exum. Only Payton/Smart seemed to really force and lock down Exum.

Smart has the height, strength, and lateral quickness despite Avery being quicker, to be the far superior defender in a year or so, plus the wingspan of 6'9.25 to boot.

I like Avery. I really do. But Avery isn't a starting SG. He would absolutely wreck and force ball handlers on the 2nd unit to try to adjust, and I wouldn't mind him playing 20-25 minutes close to starting, just because of his high energy/hustle, and determined defensive plays. The problem like people have said, Avery is far too aggressive, gets called for fouls, and his height/inability to fight through screens seems like it'll be a huge disadvantage.

Let me just put this out here... Bradley can guard Harden, but Smart made Harden's life miserable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmjli8hakJY
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2015, 06:33:59 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Avery is a full court pest, but he seems extremely weak when trying to push through screens, and his short height/length is what will ultimately be his downfall.

Smart is a smarter all around defender, and the fact as someone stated, that this is even being compared, shows how defensively sound Smart was coming out of college. I remember I saw a few USA basketball highlights, when Smart/Randle were playing on that team, and Jones was getting smoked by Exum. Only Payton/Smart seemed to really force and lock down Exum.

Smart has the height, strength, and lateral quickness despite Avery being quicker, to be the far superior defender in a year or so, plus the wingspan of 6'9.25 to boot.

I like Avery. I really do. But Avery isn't a starting SG. He would absolutely wreck and force ball handlers on the 2nd unit to try to adjust, and I wouldn't mind him playing 20-25 minutes close to starting, just because of his high energy/hustle, and determined defensive plays. The problem like people have said, Avery is far too aggressive, gets called for fouls, and his height/inability to fight through screens seems like it'll be a huge disadvantage.

Let me just put this out here... Bradley can guard Harden, but Smart made Harden's life miserable.

In addition to seeing Smart dominate defensively, that video made me realize how much I hate the Rockets' announcers.  :-X

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2015, 06:40:53 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

In addition to seeing Smart dominate defensively, that video made me realize how much I hate the Rockets' announcers.  :-X

Same here, I totally agree. Rockets announcers are pigs. All I heard every time Smart played smart defense, "there was definitely some contact!"
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2015, 09:05:40 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Good question.

Both players actually have similar height (6'3" for Bradley, 6'4" for Smart) and similar wingspan relative to their height (6'7" for Bradley, 6'9" for Smart).  Both have good lateral quickness and the same "never give up on a play" attitude.

Avery seems to be quicker laterally, and he relies more on that lateral quickness and his slim frame to beat defenders to their spots and to squeeze/slither around picks, but on occasion if a much larger/wider/stronger opponent sets a really hard screen, he'll get stopped in his tracks. 

Smart is also pretty quick laterally and does a good job of dodging around picks, but the key difference is that when he gets hit with a really strong screen he often has the strength to fight through it. 

Also Smart's sheer strength means he can (and has) put up a good fight defensively against more physically imposing wings like Joe Johnson and James Harden, while Bradley will often get pushed around by guys like that. 

Smart also has more of a confident mean streak too him, and is pretty much completely immune to intimidation.  It doesn't matter how big or tough an opponent is, he'll dish out as much punishment as he takes.  Bradley has insane work ethic and is tough in his own ways, but he's a modest/polite kid at heart and is probably easier to intimidate.

So for those reasons I'd have to say Smart is the better overall defender, and that's saying a hell of a lot considering his age and the fact that AB is one of the best perimeter defenders in the league.

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2015, 09:11:24 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'd probably put them on the same level as defenders, but then give the edge Smart based on his rebounding and positional versatility
I'm bitter.

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2015, 10:14:19 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville