37 (80.4%)
Avery Bradley
4 (8.7%)
They are about the same
4 (8.7%)
Not sure
1 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Who is the better defender (overall): Marcus Smart or Avery Bradley?  (Read 7000 times)

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
I know most of the people in the forum will say Smart because he looks like he put more effort on D than Avery. But I think that post ASG, AB was superb defensively and had the same intensity as if it was 2013. I think that they both did a very good job on Irving and JR Smith in the playoffs.

These two players are both excellent defenders that deserve to be in any of the All Defensive Team ( I ain't saying that they must be there). But they are different because of their size and athleticism. So I'll make comparisons (in my opinion):

On-Ball Defense - AB wins here because he can defend at an high level elite point guards and smaller shooting guards and he does an helluva job in moving is feet quickly. Does an okay job against bigger guards. While, Marcus defend well smaller 1s as he moves his feet well but he might get burnt a bit but he can use his size in the post very well when 2s post him up (ask Harden).

Off-Ball Defense - I choose Smart simply because his IQ off-ball on D is one of the best in the league he understand where to position himself to defend effectively and he's active in the passive lanes. Bradley is good too, but he improved this season because I think Brad told him to focus on that.

Steals - About the same. People might think Smart because he gets more steals but I am sure that AB can get many steals but he focuses more on staying in front of his man.

Blocks - Not sure. I think they both are above average shot blockers for their size.

Screens - No doubt Marcus. This kid is so special in the way he battles through picks as bigs struggle to screen him effectively due to his powerful linebacker build. He rarely to go under the screens. AB is good at avoiding them due to his superior athleticism however he finds difficulty in going through the screens.

Well overall, I would like to say I prefer Marcus but not by much because they are both valuable defensively and they both combine to a very effective defensive duo (maybe the best defensive backcourt in the league?). The difference between the two is versatility. Marcus can defend up to 2.5 positions effectively (Pgs, SGs and some SFs) while AB can defend 1.5 effectively (Pgs and some SGs). Smart has the upside to be the next great perimeter defender and a perennial DPOY candidate a la Gary Payton while AB can be an very good perimeter defender who is a candidate for multiple NBA All Defensive Teams like Bruce Bowen.

Note: I am not saying they will be as good defensively as both guys.

So what's your opinion on this? Who is better? Why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KbsXgIqgy0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxmkDHk-LZg
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 01:08:56 PM by Maurice98 »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76
I think the fact that this is a debate when Smart is only a rookie speaks to his potential as a two way player.

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
I think the fact that this is a debate when Smart is only a rookie speaks to his potential as a two way player.

I agree. So don't you think that AB is already a good (not elite) two way player?

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76

I agree. So don't you think that AB is already a good (not elite) two way player?

I think Avery is a good defender and pretty good shooter. Doesn't have a good all around game. Poor rebounder and play maker.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
On a scale of 1 to 10 Avery is like a 9 and Smart is like a "I refuse to compare Smart to other defenders for the same reason I refuse to compare Larry Bird to Austin Croshere." I feel like Smart is a once in a generation type defender. Maybe the last one like this was Gary Payton. Not sure.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I voted same because I am going by AB's body of work. AB has been better on D than what we saw last year.

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser

I think Avery is a good defender and pretty good shooter. Doesn't have a good all around game. Poor rebounder and play maker.

I think he is a mediocre play maker that kept improving his passing and ball handling every year but he's a good/ slightly average but not poor rebounder for his position (top 20 in rebounds among SGs).

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
easy. Smart

Just bigger, longer, stronger and nearly as quick. Slightly better at anticipating

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
On a scale of 1 to 10 Avery is like a 9 and Smart is like a "I refuse to compare Smart to other defenders for the same reason I refuse to compare Larry Bird to Austin Croshere." I feel like Smart is a once in a generation type defender. Maybe the last one like this was Gary Payton. Not sure.

He is a once in a generation type of defender because of his size, motor, IQ and will that I've never seen before in a rookie season. (I wasn't born when a lot of all time greats were rookies).

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I grant you maybe things will change. Maybe Smart will get hurt like Avery did. Maybe he will play more minutes and become more of a two way player and have to pace himself more. Maybe people will study him and figure him out a little.

There are possibilities but at the moment I have pretty much never seen what Smart is doing.

Re: Who is the better defender (overall): Marcus Smart or Avery Bradley?
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 01:55:31 PM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
I grant you maybe things will change. Maybe Smart will get hurt like Avery did. Maybe he will play more minutes and become more of a two way player and have to pace himself more. Maybe people will study him and figure him out a little.

There are possibilities but at the moment I have pretty much never seen what Smart is doing.

I hope he won't get hurt as it can affect him like the injury in November. I think the problem is that he has limited touches so he didn't fill the stat sheets. I think Turner is hurting Marcus' development because he's the primary ball handler. That's why I either want Turner to get traded or be on the bench because Marcus is a capable primary ball handler. If he was in a lottery team and be allowed to make more mistakes while playing major minute, a 12-5-5-2 stat line wouldn't have been out of question.

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 02:52:01 PM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
I'm kinda surprised that AB isn't getting any vote yet.

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 02:59:53 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
I went with Smart mostly because of his better size, length, and BBIQ. To me, the only definite advantage that Bradley has to Smart is lateral foot speed, which helps him keep with the speedier small guards. However, I think Smart is a much SMARTER ( ;D) defender both individually and as a team defender, and that's just unheard of for a rookie. Oftentimes you see Avery get over-aggressive and foul near half-court. You don't really see Smart doing that, and he really plays Smart D doing nearly everything right. But by far his most impressive defensive attribute is how he maneuvers around screens. My God, it's an art form how Smart can stay with his man around screens.

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 03:03:01 PM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
I went with Smart mostly because of his better size, length, and BBIQ. To me, the only definite advantage that Bradley has to Smart is lateral foot speed, which helps him keep with the speedier small guards. However, I think Smart is a much SMARTER ( ;D) defender both individually and as a team defender, and that's just unheard of for a rookie. Oftentimes you see Avery get over-aggressive and foul near half-court. You don't really see Smart doing that, and he really plays Smart D doing nearly everything right. But by far his most impressive defensive attribute is how he maneuvers around screens. My God, it's an art form how Smart can stay with his man around screens.

That's an incredible art. Never saw someone get through screen that easily and I think bigs will be afraid to screen him.  :)

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 03:05:55 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Both excellent defenders, as everybody knows. I chose AB because, right now, if I had to choose between the two in a game to defend in a tight finish, he is still ahead. Ever so slightly.