Author Topic: Based on 3 preseason games, what do we think of Olynyk?  (Read 17628 times)

Re: Based on 3 preseason games, what do we think of Olynyk?
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2013, 02:40:51 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
hes a good passer...but he's not strong enough!!

Asking for skill and coordination and strength in a 7-footer at age 22 is asking a lot. He's got two out of three and I expect the third will come along fine within the next 24 months.

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2013, 05:13:41 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
jajuan johnson 2.0

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2013, 09:51:28 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Well, think about this...if that guy can be an effective center for Chicago bulls...what is his name....jakim noah....than so can olynik....same build....so, if he can play a bit, then work on his skills, body, ect...he can do it...if he WANTS it.....he has to want it more...!!!
Totally different type of players.  Noah is all heart, effort and defense.  Oly is a somewhat soft player with a pretty good offensive repertoire.  It's like saying Adam MOrrison could have been Kevin Garnett if he "wanted it".

It's not much worse than your Scalabrine comparison.  Those two are totally different type players, as well.

Personally, I prefer Larry Bird as a comparison.

How about Danny Ferry?

Man...impossible to ever get through to some people...your ego blocks your thinking....my meaning ws, he could develop into a player of value as well.....as in, if noah could do it.....can you guys EVER respond in a normal tone....too much time living in the cellar....move out...find maturity.....it is out there for ya....maybe..!

Yikes. Not sure why you included my response in your little tirade there, or what you thought was odd about its "tone." Heck, I didn't say anything about anyone else's ideas...

I was just weighing in with a possible comparison for Olynyk.
oh, sorry...it is hard to separate out the layers there....I didn't say anything about scal....someone said I did....all that was said there was way off what I said....sorry ....I guess you weren't part of it....

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2013, 09:56:58 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
He needs help from these guys asap

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2013, 12:00:03 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
jajuan johnson 2.0

not for one minute did jajuan ever look as competent as Kelly has throughout summer league and the first few preseason games.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2013, 01:14:41 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Olynyk's a lot stronger than JuJuan but more than that, he can actually pass the ball.  He doesn't just chuck the ball whenever he gets it.  He's also read the action well and taken at least one charge, which is more than can be said about JaJuan, even in preseason action.

The thing that's surprised me most about what he's done is the two blocked jumpers.  I wasn't expecting that with his very short arms (and his arms look really short on TV surrounded by freakishly proportioned human beings) and limited jumping ability.  The two blocks were clean, full palmed blocks too.  To his credit, he does have a 9'0 standing reach, which his good for a PF even if a 6'9.75 wingspan is not and possesses good timing and body control.

I've been impressed thus far.  He's missed a bunch of jumpers but I assume he's going to hit them better eventually, which he did the last preseason game and he really is an outstanding passer.  It would've been nice to see him play with Pierce, KG, Rondo and Ray.  Oh my goodness, that would've been a ton of versatility and basketball IQ.  Instead, there was JaJuan Johnson. Sigh.

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2013, 01:17:58 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
As a dude who once had hair about twice as long as his, I think that the Klynyk has got to find a better headband.

I'll leave the basketball analysis for the real games.

Perhaps Vitor can give him his barbers #?

Eh. He made it. He's in the NBA. No haircut required.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2013, 01:49:06 AM »

fitzhickey

As a dude who once had hair about twice as long as his, I think that the Klynyk has got to find a better headband.

I'll leave the basketball analysis for the real games.

Perhaps Vitor can give him his barbers #?

Eh. He made it. He's in the NBA. No haircut required.
Going further off topic, I want Kelly to grow a full on cave man Harden like beard, make him look mean

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2013, 07:56:26 AM »

Offline Section301

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • Yum
I think Danny's draft day statement about him is accurate - he'll make a good 6th man. 

I agree with what most people have already said on the positive parts of his skillset.  He passes well, has a good BBIQ, runs the break well, and at least knows what he should be doing on defense, even if he is not always able to do it.  He also has a nice touch around the basket when he gets room to operate, whether that's on a back-door move or on the break.  I like him. 

That said, I think those projecting him as a star need to pump the brakes.  There was one post comparing him to Joakim Noah (I won't even touch the Dirk comparisons), but it falls short because Noah has about 5 times the motor AND (more importantly in my book) the boy (Noah) would rather die than lose.  Those back to back NCAA championships showed me a lot about his attitude, even then.

And that is the one piece that, for any upside that can be found with this team (be it KO or anyone else - and there IS upside there) I don't think they have much chance of doing well now or in the future.  There isn't anyone on this team that hates losing more than he loves winning.  THAT is the piece that, even more than their talent, the Celtics lost when PP and KG were shipped off to Brooklyn.  Until that level of killer instinct enters the locker room again, the Celtics will be lovable but mediocre.  Olynyk doesn't have it, Sully doesn't have it, Green sure as shooting doesn't have it, and even Rondo, despite his spectacular ability to play with a gruesomely dislocated elbow, doesn't have it. 

That said, I'll still root for the Celtics just as hard this year as I have for the past 25 years.

Good food, like good music and good love, always requires a little sweat in the making in order for it to be truly memorable.

« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2013, 08:38:04 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Ha ha. When prompted, poor Mr. Humphries, the veteran, contract-year PF, can muster only the faintest and most tentative of praise for the PF phenom on his team:

“Kelly’s got a good feel for the game,” Humphries said. “He’s made some nice passes and done some good things out there. But, like anything, the NBA is different, so it’s going to take some time to really get your feet wet and figure out how you’re going to play and what you’re going to do out there.

“But he’s shown us some nice things throughout the time I’ve seen him, so I look forward to more from him. He’s made a couple of real nice plays that you don’t see rookies make. He has a knack for passing the ball, and we’ll see what else we can get from him out there.”

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2013/10/rookie_kelly_olynyk_wows_celtics_with_hoop_smarts#sthash.fe7DxULZ.dpuf

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2013, 09:46:28 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'd like to see him be more aggressive on the court but I think he'll turn out to be a very good player for us as he develops

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2013, 10:09:46 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
He's one of the better passing bigs in the game already.

He's been getting more aggressive as he's gone on and I think he hasn't been bad on D either.  He shows a good willingness there and some hustle.

Very happy with him.  I wanted him to be our pick and all but it's gone even better than I was hoping it would.

jajuan johnson 2.0

not for one minute did jajuan ever look as competent as Kelly has throughout summer league and the first few preseason games.

Seriously.  Is that a joke comparison?
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2013, 11:22:52 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
im waiting till all star break to see how he is doing..got to give him half a season before judging him..he is going to have his ups and downs
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2013, 10:40:47 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I expected oly to struggle rebounding, but he is struggling pretty bad at times. Bad is, as a 7 footer letting your guy grab offensive rebounds.

Anyone think he is bad for now bc he has a sf mentality still or he may never be even avg period??

Kevin love has only 6'11 wingspan and less reach at 8'10 but we all know he is a superb rebounder. Nowitski earlier in his career avg close to 10.

I hope bulking up and a change of mentality will help. Otherwise he is always going to need a sully or hump or better center beside him plus a above avg sf rebounder like a gerald wallace.

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2013, 04:35:32 PM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
jajuan johnson 2.0

Horrible comparison.