Author Topic: Based on 3 preseason games, what do we think of Olynyk?  (Read 17631 times)

Re: Based on 3 preseason games, what do we think of Olynyk?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Well, think about this...if that guy can be an effective center for Chicago bulls...what is his name....jakim noah....than so can olynik....same build....so, if he can play a bit, then work on his skills, body, ect...he can do it...if he WANTS it.....he has to want it more...!!!
Totally different type of players.  Noah is all heart, effort and defense.  Oly is a somewhat soft player with a pretty good offensive repertoire.  It's like saying Adam MOrrison could have been Kevin Garnett if he "wanted it".

It's not much worse than your Scalabrine comparison.  Those two are totally different type players, as well.

Personally, I prefer Larry Bird as a comparison.

How about Danny Ferry?

Man...impossible to ever get through to some people...your ego blocks your thinking....my meaning ws, he could develop into a player of value as well.....as in, if noah could do it.....can you guys EVER respond in a normal tone....too much time living in the cellar....move out...find maturity.....it is out there for ya....maybe..!

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2013, 06:45:02 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Well, think about this...if that guy can be an effective center for Chicago bulls...what is his name....jakim noah....than so can olynik....same build....so, if he can play a bit, then work on his skills, body, ect...he can do it...if he WANTS it.....he has to want it more...!!!
Totally different type of players.  Noah is all heart, effort and defense.  Oly is a somewhat soft player with a pretty good offensive repertoire.  It's like saying Adam MOrrison could have been Kevin Garnett if he "wanted it".

It's not much worse than your Scalabrine comparison.  Those two are totally different type players, as well.

How about Danny Ferry?

Man...impossible to ever get through to some people...your ego blocks your thinking....my meaning ws, he could develop into a player of value as well.....as in, if noah could do it.....can you guys EVER respond in a normal tone....too much time living in the cellar....move out...find maturity.....it is out there for ya....maybe..!

Yikes. Not sure why you included my response in your little tirade there, or what you thought was odd about its "tone." Heck, I didn't say anything about anyone else's ideas...

I was just weighing in with a possible comparison for Olynyk.

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2013, 07:00:25 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158

How about Danny Ferry?

I can see why you are in banned camp over on the political forums...

The tone on here is matter of fact a lot of the time. Don't take it so personally. It's a sports forum, for God sakes.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2013, 07:06:37 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 249
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
hes a good passer...but he's not strong enough!!

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2013, 09:04:06 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
He's a rookie , not worried about him at all

It's Bass, Lee and Green ...that aren't playin worth a flip. ...they suck so bad

Rookies are rookies.....Wallace and Hump,are the only vets worth a dang

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2013, 10:10:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He's show moments of good defense, I think but is a long ways off from being consistent on that end. Shooting touch hasn't really been there much, and hadn't even looked for his shot much prior to last night. Would still like to see him in some iso's and in the post. Body needs a lot of work, too. Passing and instincts are very much present though.

can you explain why he has ways to go on the defensive end??

i couldn't disagree more. He is just a notch below avg to avg already.  He won't block shots on a regular basis and rebounding needs to get better. But outside of these things, he is active, boxes out, anticipates well, mobile and i don't think i've seen the man he is guarding directly burn him more than a few times.  While its nice if he could be a better help defender, even if he can't be doesn't mean he is a poor defender.   We been spoiled too many years of great defense provided by KG

Mediocre foot speed and lateral quickness. He can improve on those things a bit with an NBA training regiment. There were a couple times I remember his man getting by him a little too easy. Maybe "a long ways off" was a bit much, but no, I do think there's things that he can improve, which I expect him to do.

I agree with avg foot speed, but bc of his anticipatory skills, he makes up for the deficiency by beating players to their spots. He was all over the court on defensive end tonight. Better job being agressive underneath the basket than the first three games. Had 6 rebounds to show for

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2013, 02:02:28 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
As a dude who once had hair about twice as long as his, I think that the Klynyk has got to find a better headband.

I'll leave the basketball analysis for the real games.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2013, 03:49:29 AM »

Offline NocturnalRebel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Rookie of tha year. I love Olynyk.

But like D.o.s. said above me, he's gotta find a better headband. I would hate for him to go down that Luis Scola lace front road.

Good player tho.
Loyalty Is Royalty

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2013, 07:15:19 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He needs to work on his body.   He also needs to work on his shot and confidence taking it.   His passes reminds me of Bird.  He is smart just needs to get in the weight room and develop more confidence in his shot.

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2013, 07:31:04 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
He's show moments of good defense, I think but is a long ways off from being consistent on that end. Shooting touch hasn't really been there much, and hadn't even looked for his shot much prior to last night. Would still like to see him in some iso's and in the post. Body needs a lot of work, too. Passing and instincts are very much present though.

can you explain why he has ways to go on the defensive end??

i couldn't disagree more. He is just a notch below avg to avg already.  He won't block shots on a regular basis and rebounding needs to get better. But outside of these things, he is active, boxes out, anticipates well, mobile and i don't think i've seen the man he is guarding directly burn him more than a few times.  While its nice if he could be a better help defender, even if he can't be doesn't mean he is a poor defender.   We been spoiled too many years of great defense provided by KG

Mediocre foot speed and lateral quickness. He can improve on those things a bit with an NBA training regiment. There were a couple times I remember his man getting by him a little too easy. Maybe "a long ways off" was a bit much, but no, I do think there's things that he can improve, which I expect him to do.

I think we're seeing that he's going to be a PF and he's going to need an athletic shotblocker behind him - but that's kind of what we expected.  He's tall, but not especially long-limbed and doesn't have the muscle to really defend down low. 

It seems like a lazy comparison....  but I see his game as being a poor, poor, POOR man's Dirk.  The things that he does well - he's a good ballhandler for a big, he's got a nice-looking shot (he should be a good 3-pt shooter in time), he looks like he can be a very good passer.  But, I don't think he's going to be a guy who plays very much down low (if he gets a mismatch, but I don't think it's going to be something they look for).  He'll run the floor.  He won't be a great defensive player but he seems like a smart kid who might develop into a decent team defender. 

There's obviously a huge transition that he's going through and it's eminently stupid to judge him after four preseason games, but he's clearly a guy who can do some things that most power forwards cannot do, and who looks like he might struggle performing a lot of traditional PF "tasks."  So, if he's going to be the team's centerpiece, they'll have to find a complementary 5 to play alongside him - someone who can pick up some of the slack defensively and clean the glass.

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2013, 08:29:24 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I said earlier that he may be considered a defensive liability. After watching the last two games I may have been wrong. He is certainly not a post defender yet, but his perimeter and transition defense were actually pretty good.

I think he is gong to be most effective when paired with Sullinger, Vitor, or Humphries because they provide the muscle he lacks and they can take it down low. Last nite in the 4th quarter when we were running he looked really good next to Vitor IMO.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2013, 09:30:22 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I see him getting better every game, and looking more comfortable. Going from Summer League to preseason the game gets much faster, so he's still catching up.

He's getting his shots around the perimeter. They just haven't been falling, may have to do with the planter he had over the summer, and getting back into game shape. He need to learn how to read the D on the post and make faster decisions, I don't think he realizes how fast a player can cover ground to get back in the play.

I see a slow start, which Stevens should do with him, but maybe start coming on at the half way point kinda like Sully did. He was getting blocked from left to right in the beginning of last season, and figured it out. KO is a smart play and should figure it out.

Will he be an All Star in the future? EH, who knows, but he should be a solid player.

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2013, 09:37:31 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
based on summer league and preseason, i really like what i see.  i also like what i hear from him in interviews.

but, i am always cautiously optimistic, as well as skeptical of rooks.  every year people say some crazy things on here about rookies and how good they will be, especially after a few good games.

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2013, 11:43:52 AM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".
As a dude who once had hair about twice as long as his, I think that the Klynyk has got to find a better headband.

I'll leave the basketball analysis for the real games.

Perhaps Vitor can give him his barbers #?
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2013, 12:33:05 PM »

Offline TheBig5

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
Better than Dirk!  ;)

I really like what I have seen so far, hopefully the guy can some day become great.