Author Topic: Based on 3 preseason games, what do we think of Olynyk?  (Read 17630 times)

Based on 3 preseason games, what do we think of Olynyk?
« on: October 12, 2013, 12:13:06 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I have to admit that I did not see much of the first two but I did watch them against the 76ers.

Olynyk looked very soft to me.  By soft I mean out of shape, not tone.  He also looked kind of awkward with his foot work.  I was expecting to see more out of him based on what I had been hearing.

Especially his arms.  They looked kind of flabby.  I know not every NBA player is going to look cut but he is a pro athlete, making millions.  It doesn't appear that he is doing all he can in terms of conditioning.

He does appear to have great court awareness but that isn't going to do him any good if he can't keep up athletically.

The hairdo bothers me too but I could live with that if he played better.

Re: Based on 3 preseason games, what do we think of Olynyk?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 12:19:43 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Skillful offensive player. Intelligent. Viable threat in many areas across the court.

Lacks physicality and struggles as a defender/rebounder. Has trouble with the pace of the NBA game and is adjusting to NBA quality defender/athletes.

I think he has good long term potential but not so optimistic about his immediate prospects. I think it is going to be hard for Brad Stevens to give Olynyk the type of minutes Olynyk needs to get comfortable (25-30mpg). I think he could struggle if put in a smaller role. 

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 12:24:24 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I'd be more concerned about his conditioning if it doesn't improve in a year or two. Preseason of his rookie year seems a little early to sound alarms in that category. As for his play, I've only seen brief stretches of the preseason but I'm somewhat encouraged by the little I've seen of him. My impression of him in the preseason was that he was going to have trouble with the speed of play in the nba, I'm less convinced this will be an issue for him.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 12:31:19 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
A smart player with genuine offensive skills. Ball handling, passing and jump shot with range all very good to excellent for his position. Not a strong rebounder or shot blocker for his size. Lacking on the defensive side of the ball to the point he can almost be considered a liability. He will be most effective on the wing as a stretch four that runs until he bulks up and learns some post moves.

I am not sure he is soft either except maybe in terms of conditioning. He seems willing to mix it up a bit inside when needed. An addition of 15-20 pounds of muscle would likely make a big difference in his game.

I think a couple of years of work with the right people could mold him into a legit NBA player of starting PF caliber. I dont think he will ever be effective as a center except possibly in small running lineups or against second unit players.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 12:35:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He's fine.  His development will be one of the few bright spots as this team bottoms out this year.  I think internal expectations are low.  When Danny drafted him be basically said "he's not going to be a star" but figured oly could be a contributor some day.  The early projections of "rich mans scalabrine" seem to make sense.   He will have a lot of fans here if he gets to stick around.

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 12:43:14 PM »

Offline VitorSullyandKOFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 19
He's a little scared offensively but I have been impressed with his defense he's not going to be an elite defender but could be a solid one.

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 01:26:40 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Well, think about this...if that guy can be an effective center for Chicago bulls...what is his name....jakim noah....than so can olynik....same build....so, if he can play a bit, then work on his skills, body, ect...he can do it...if he WANTS it.....he has to want it more...!!!

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 01:41:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Well, think about this...if that guy can be an effective center for Chicago bulls...what is his name....jakim noah....than so can olynik....same build....so, if he can play a bit, then work on his skills, body, ect...he can do it...if he WANTS it.....he has to want it more...!!!
Totally different type of players.  Noah is all heart, effort and defense.  Oly is a somewhat soft player with a pretty good offensive repertoire.  It's like saying Adam MOrrison could have been Kevin Garnett if he "wanted it".

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 01:44:21 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Totally different type of players.  Noah is all heart, effort and defense.  Oly is a somewhat soft player with a pretty good offensive repertoire.  It's like saying Adam MOrrison could have been Kevin Garnett if he "wanted it".

It's not much worse than your Scalabrine comparison.  Those two are totally different type players, as well.

Personally, I prefer Larry Bird as a comparison.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 02:07:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
We just have to wait and see if his fundamental game can translate to the NBA. He dominated summer league with all the moves and shots in the book. I know it was just summer league, but big guys usually have a difficult time since the guards are typically ball-hogs.

I agree with his conditioning - I know he is a rookie in the preseason, but he could have given himself a real head start if he hit the gym a bit harder.

Overall, I am not worried. He is an extremely skilled player with great instincts. I definitely hope he pans out as a solid starter, but at the very least, he should stick around the league as a bench contributor.

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 02:23:35 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

It's not much worse than your Scalabrine comparison.  Those two are totally different type players, as well.

Personally, I prefer Larry Bird as a comparison.

How about Danny Ferry?

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 02:24:04 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
We just have to wait and see if his fundamental game can translate to the NBA. He dominated summer league with all the moves and shots in the book. I know it was just summer league, but big guys usually have a difficult time since the guards are typically ball-hogs.

I agree with his conditioning - I know he is a rookie in the preseason, but he could have given himself a real head start if he hit the gym a bit harder.

Overall, I am not worried. He is an extremely skilled player with great instincts. I definitely hope he pans out as a solid starter, but at the very least, he should stick around the league as a bench contributor.

The dude was off his feet with plantar fasciitis this summer, which limited his play and presumably his ability to get into basketball condition.

I'm still hopeful of him becoming a star, but if he doesn't play better these next few games he won't be out there with Sully and Wallace leading the team early.

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 02:34:08 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

The dude was off his feet with plantar fasciitis this summer, which limited his play and presumably his ability to get into basketball condition.

I'm still hopeful of him becoming a star, but if he doesn't play better these next few games he won't be out there with Sully and Wallace leading the team early.

This.

Also I would say he has been decent for a rookie, he has played better than some of our veterans. The team as a whole is learning as they go and other than Sully and Wallace everyone could stand to play a lot better.

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 02:34:26 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I agree that he gets a break for that.

On the other hand, a lot of what's happening is a predictable consequence of his playing against guys who are bigger, faster and stronger. His strength, lateral quickness, reach and rebounding were all concerns at the time of the draft.

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2013, 02:38:21 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Lots of good comments.  I had forgotten about the Plantar Fasciitis.  Rookie or not though, I don't understand why he didn't come into training camp having lifted weights or whatever.  What could he have possibly been thinking to convince himself that he would be fine as he is?