Author Topic: Is another move coming?  (Read 15107 times)

Re: Is another move coming?
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2013, 01:49:41 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I reckon as far as the trade goes it was just a good opportunity to get under the cap right away, that Danny couldn`t pass up. This Greene fella will likely get cut straight after training camp.As for the Sully playing center. I reckon it can work very well, under the right set up. For example if the Klynyk, or Bass, or Faverani`s lighting it up from the perimeter, and the opponent`s  7 footer has to rotate out to try stop him, then Sully could find himself an opportunity to bully a less competent post defender down low.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2013, 02:01:32 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I reckon as far as the trade goes it was just a good opportunity to get under the cap right away, that Danny couldn`t pass up. This Greene fella will likely get cut straight after training camp.As for the Sully playing center. I reckon it can work very well, under the right set up. For example if the Klynyk, or Bass, or Faverani`s lighting it up from the perimeter, and the opponent`s  7 footer has to rotate out to try stop him, then Sully could find himself an opportunity to bully a less competent post defender down low.

Guys like Horford and Drummond are really good but I don't see their teams getting good enough anytime in the near future where we will have to worry about them doing good against Sully. I think we will be good in a few seasons. Horford and Drummond aren't scaring me going against Sully. Honestly, I think Mia finds a way to stay together and play well for the next few seasons and maybe have a solid guy in Oden, Pacers are young so Hibbert will be there, I think Cavs will be good in a bit too and I bet Bynum's knees are going to be there too lol. Orlando won't be good anytime soon as far as I can see but of course you never know. Sully can hang with all these bigs but the best find a way no matter who is on them anyway. I forgot D. Lee, he can score but he is finesse so Sully will butt him around all game. Noah is an excellent defender but I don't see him doing anything offensively where I'm gonna be worried about Sully on him. Sully can man the 5 but even if he can't he is more capable of than KO is.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 02:12:14 AM by ImShakHeIsShaq »
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2013, 08:07:06 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I'm  wondering though who's our best match up for the 'twin tower' front courts. I'm thinking Asik-Howard, Gasol-Randolph, KG-Lopez?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2013, 08:31:40 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'm  wondering though who's our best match up for the 'twin tower' front courts. I'm thinking Asik-Howard, Gasol-Randolph, KG-Lopez?

Avery Bradley as he harasses the opposing point guard making it more difficult to get the ball to the big down low.  Guys like Sully, Humphries, and Faverani can probably use their strength to make it more difficult for a big to camp out underneath the basket.  The key will be making it difficult for bigs to get the ball in good position with enough time to win the one-on-one battle that they have the clear advantage, or to kick it out when help comes.  The good news is that our perimeter defense makes that not impossible.

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2013, 10:35:44 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
we're not going to be good, so why does it matter

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2013, 10:46:09 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I see it as ainge having too many players and needed to get under the tax. And that's exactly what he did.

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2013, 11:46:05 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

That gets me pumped up for the season

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2013, 03:03:57 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Would you rather live in denial? It's the truth.

I can only hope we are fun to watch yet lose a ton of games and get a great draft pick.

You see rookies come over and make an impact right away, and this draft seems to have a few of them. Mail this season in and accelerate the rebuild.

Baby steps vs. taking one step back to start sprinting.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2013, 03:53:51 PM »

Offline 49ers/Celtics

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
Yea danny granger

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2013, 03:58:15 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Would you rather live in denial? It's the truth.

I can only hope we are fun to watch yet lose a ton of games and get a great draft pick.

You see rookies come over and make an impact right away, and this draft seems to have a few of them. Mail this season in and accelerate the rebuild.

Baby steps vs. taking one step back to start sprinting.

Whether or not it's the truth depends on your definition of "good."  If you don't think that a record around .500 and a playoff berth is good, then, no we won't be "good." 

If you think the above scenario represent being "good" (while obviously not "great"), then I think we have a very good chance of being good. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2013, 03:20:06 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I'd like to see us get a top 5 pick in the coming draft and then be "good and getting better quickly" next season with our top five pick and then again in the 2015 free agent signing period. If those two things went well and our young guys like Olynyk, Green and Sully really progress, we could be in legitimate title contention by the end of the 2015 season.   

I'm worried this current team, especially if Rondo is tearing it up, has just enough talent to be mediocre.

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2013, 06:12:04 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I'd like to see us get a top 5 pick in the coming draft and then be "good and getting better quickly" next season with our top five pick and then again in the 2015 free agent signing period. If those two things went well and our young guys like Olynyk, Green and Sully really progress, we could be in legitimate title contention by the end of the 2015 season.   

I'm worried this current team, especially if Rondo is tearing it up, has just enough talent to be mediocre.

Well if we are too mediocre and say end up with the 10th pick, we could try to package the pick with something else for a star player like we did with Ray Allen. 

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2013, 06:40:59 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Well if we are too mediocre and say end up with the 10th pick, we could try to package the pick with something else for a star player like we did with Ray Allen.
Um, that was a #5 pick for RA.

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2013, 07:00:03 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
I don't think Danny is going to make any more moves until after training camp. I wouldn't be surprised if he waits until January when rookies and signed&traded players can be included in deals.

Of course, Ainge will be working and testing lots of possibilities, but after trading Melo, he can just stay pat, so other GMs will need to make good offers if they want our valuable vets (Bass, Lee, Humphries...). I hated to see Fab go, but Ainge put the Celtics in a better position in order to negotiate by trading him for Greene.

As some have posted, when Greene is waived the Cs will be able to take an extra player in trades, so it opens more possibilities for Ainge, who can keep an extra roster spot to fill in case further trades open more cap space(i.e. Humphries+Bogans for Boozer would cut 2M from Cs books).

Ainge has an unbalanced roster right now, but he has the chance to take 2-year contracts to accumulate expirings in the summer of 2015, either to trade them at the 2015 deadline or to open cap space in Free Agency. I expect him to get even more assets while setting the Cs for a great 2015 offseason.

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2013, 07:18:15 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Um, that was a #5 pick for RA.

I realize that but that was in a weaker draft.  The point is we have more assets to play with now so could trade the 10th, say Bradley, 2 future firsts for a star.  I believe we'll have flexibility to go different routes as even a 10th pick will be coveted next year.