Author Topic: Is another move coming?  (Read 15134 times)

Re: Is another move coming?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 05:50:15 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
the trade idea I've been talking about for weeks (Bass/Bradley/Crawford for Asik) to me makes sense on all levels.

For Houston- your title core is in place with Dwight/Harden/Parsons. you need role guys now. Bass gives you a playoff tested 4 who can shoot and rebound some. he's also played with Dwight before. He can start or come off the bench. regardless he's a solid pro who doesn't fit in with Boston's rebuilding plans and his skill-set has become redundant with Sully/Hump/KO.
Bradley is the real reason why Houston does this. Gives them a 3rd guard behind Lin/Harden. And because of Hardens ball handling ability you can even play Bradley/Harden significant minutes together. Bradley/Dwight exterior/interior defense could be downright scary for opposing teams. Let Houston decide if they want to sign Bradley long-term or not.
Asik/Dwight just doesn't make sense. Makes about as much sense as Boston's logjam at the 2 and 4. They're both true centers who need to play heavy minutes at the 5. neither can shoot FT's. both are post players who will clog the middle of the court playing together.

Why for Boston: Team is rebuilding. This trade doesn't change that. but it DOES give Boston another foundation piece (Asik) who can protect the rim and rebound. that's an obvious need right now when looking at Boston's depth chart on paper. Asik has a reasonable deal so Ainge can give him a good hard look and determine whether he wants him as part of the future or if he wants to use him as part of a blockbuster if the right deal comes along. This trade also helps us make more sense of the depth chart.

Asik/Sully/Green/Lee/Rondo with Hump/KO/Wallace/Brooks/Pressey and then Bogans/Faverani/Greene. Boston maintains control of their cap. can further explore deals to unload Wallace/Lee if and when they can reestablish their value. Ainge keeps all of his draft picks.

I just think it makes all the sense in the world. And really all it takes is Bostons willingness to include Bradley. As much as I like Bradley I think I'd rather have Asik + unload Bass

I really agree with the part where the Rockets would love to get AB.  Avery would be a perfect fit as a combo-ish guard for the Rockets.  With Harden being really a ball dominant big 2, avery could pester the crap out of the opposing ball handlers and use his quickness and speed for backcuts playing off Harden and Dwight.

As good as that sounds for the Rockets, I don't think we are in the market for Asik or Gortat now.  Adding them when KG and PP were still here would have been fantastic. Adding them now not so much unless you think our journey back to contention is a lot shorter, ie 1 or 2 years.

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 06:00:54 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
the trade idea I've been talking about for weeks (Bass/Bradley/Crawford for Asik) to me makes sense on all levels.

For Houston- your title core is in place with Dwight/Harden/Parsons. you need role guys now. Bass gives you a playoff tested 4 who can shoot and rebound some. he's also played with Dwight before. He can start or come off the bench. regardless he's a solid pro who doesn't fit in with Boston's rebuilding plans and his skill-set has become redundant with Sully/Hump/KO.
Bradley is the real reason why Houston does this. Gives them a 3rd guard behind Lin/Harden. And because of Hardens ball handling ability you can even play Bradley/Harden significant minutes together. Bradley/Dwight exterior/interior defense could be downright scary for opposing teams. Let Houston decide if they want to sign Bradley long-term or not.
Asik/Dwight just doesn't make sense. Makes about as much sense as Boston's logjam at the 2 and 4. They're both true centers who need to play heavy minutes at the 5. neither can shoot FT's. both are post players who will clog the middle of the court playing together.

Why for Boston: Team is rebuilding. This trade doesn't change that. but it DOES give Boston another foundation piece (Asik) who can protect the rim and rebound. that's an obvious need right now when looking at Boston's depth chart on paper. Asik has a reasonable deal so Ainge can give him a good hard look and determine whether he wants him as part of the future or if he wants to use him as part of a blockbuster if the right deal comes along. This trade also helps us make more sense of the depth chart.

Asik/Sully/Green/Lee/Rondo with Hump/KO/Wallace/Brooks/Pressey and then Bogans/Faverani/Greene. Boston maintains control of their cap. can further explore deals to unload Wallace/Lee if and when they can reestablish their value. Ainge keeps all of his draft picks.

I just think it makes all the sense in the world. And really all it takes is Bostons willingness to include Bradley. As much as I like Bradley I think I'd rather have Asik + unload Bass

I really agree with the part where the Rockets would love to get AB.  Avery would be a perfect fit as a combo-ish guard for the Rockets.  With Harden being really a ball dominant big 2, avery could pester the crap out of the opposing ball handlers and use his quickness and speed for backcuts playing off Harden and Dwight.

As good as that sounds for the Rockets, I don't think we are in the market for Asik or Gortat now.  Adding them when KG and PP were still here would have been fantastic. Adding them now not so much unless you think our journey back to contention is a lot shorter, ie 1 or 2 years.

If we can get such a solid big man, then I think the rebuild might really only be 1-2 years, really.

Having both Asik and Gortat would be awesome.  Don't know how to do it, but trading away a 1st or two would be fine with me if it keeps our young core together.

I really like the Green/Sully/Olynyk combination, but Sully as 3rd big (behind Olynyk) would be awesome.

Rondo
SG
Green
Olynyk/Sully
Gortat/Asik

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 07:21:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I still think there's a really good chance Rondo gets traded if he can prove to be healthy.  Seems to me the only reason he wasn't already traded is because nobody has been willing to give up anything substantial for him... especially coming off major surgery.

I imagine if Ainge can get a young prospect or a lotto pick for him, he'll probably bite.  We'll see.  From what I've been reading, one or two teams showed interest (Pistons/Mavs), but weren't willing to give up anything for him.  Maybe that changes if Rondo is able to return from his injury.

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 08:28:52 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Why does everyone keep making Sully the 4 to KOs 5? I think Sully is better suited to be the 5 and KO the 4. The only reason I can think of is height. Basketball wise, Sully is the 5 in pretty much every other way. Sully is everything you want in a C besides height and shot blocking. Really good defender, rebounder, scores down low. I thought Sully was a bad defender at first too but over a few games he just got better and better! I think he can hang tough with any center in the league (if he plays better/same as last season). It's not like there are many 7fters around the league anyway. Sully can handle all of them as much as anyone could handle them (seeing as those few get theirs no matter who's on them). Who do we have in the East, Chandler, Bynum, and Oden? Lol please! Chandler wants no more of Sully and the other 2 may not even play a full season, even if they do, Sully is gonna put a bruising on them! Bosh, well, he's gonna be tougher b/c he's a 4 but I look for Sully or KO to give it to him and tire him on offense... Sully will bruise him up and HOPEFULLY KO can continue to shoot lights out. Maybe hump can come in and bruise him up. I don't see a need for another true center right now. I say we roll on til the deadline and figure where to go from there! LET'S GO "ANIMAL", I almost forgot about you!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 09:44:24 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
it wouldn't surprise me to see another deal made after the Nets players become eligible.  Gives Danny the flexibility to take in one more player than the number going out. 

I don't see the deal as landing a better player than who we send out.  Probably a short-term headache or underperformer from the other team where we accrue a young borderline prospect for our efforts

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2013, 10:13:11 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Why does everyone keep making Sully the 4 to KOs 5? I think Sully is better suited to be the 5 and KO the 4. The only reason I can think of is height. Basketball wise, Sully is the 5 in pretty much every other way. Sully is everything you want in a C besides height and shot blocking. Really good defender, rebounder, scores down low. I thought Sully was a bad defender at first too but over a few games he just got better and better! I think he can hang tough with any center in the league (if he plays better/same as last season). It's not like there are many 7fters around the league anyway. Sully can handle all of them as much as anyone could handle them (seeing as those few get theirs no matter who's on them). Who do we have in the East, Chandler, Bynum, and Oden? Lol please! Chandler wants no more of Sully and the other 2 may not even play a full season, even if they do, Sully is gonna put a bruising on them! Bosh, well, he's gonna be tougher b/c he's a 4 but I look for Sully or KO to give it to him and tire him on offense... Sully will bruise him up and HOPEFULLY KO can continue to shoot lights out. Maybe hump can come in and bruise him up. I don't see a need for another true center right now. I say we roll on til the deadline and figure where to go from there! LET'S GO "ANIMAL", I almost forgot about you!

There are many more good centers in the East Lopez, Hibbert, Noah, Sanders, Al Jefferson, and the 2 up and coming Euros on Orlando and Toronto.  I think Sully will have his hands full at the 5.  Like him much better as a 4.

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

There are many more good centers in the East Lopez, Hibbert, Noah, Sanders, Al Jefferson, and the 2 up and coming Euros on Orlando and Toronto.  I think Sully will have his hands full at the 5.  Like him much better as a 4.

I left out a few more Hortford, Drummond, even Okafer is a bruiser.  We are undersized at center, and it could be a struggle for us.

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2013, 10:56:33 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170

Truth be told Shak, we're probably arguing semantics here. At some point were gonna see KO and Sully out on the floor together and who matches up at Center defensively may simply be based on who is at the Center spot for the other team. For us it won't matter offensively.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2013, 11:01:16 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
With Iverson in Turkey and now Fab being moved, do you think Danny is paving the way, clearing the space to bring in a legitimate, long term solution at center for us?

With Greg Smith being able to back up Howard, Asik could be available and Hump wouldn't look bad next to Howard? Trade deadline move or once Hump is eligible to be moved with other pieces?

Asik isn't a world beater but he's a legitimate starting center.

Greg Smith was traded I think?

He's not making any moves unless he gets value for Rondo or role players like Bass and Lee.

Its a salary move and leaves us even smaller inside and thus more likely to suck if a big goes down.

Melo was actually becoming a decent rim protector. ..it was really his only strength.
Our guard rotation still stays packed so Crawford, Brooks or Lee are gone next if anyone goes.

Danny is probably shopping Bradley and I won't be surprised if he's gone to someone like Memphis or Charlotte/New Orleans for a late first rounder in 14' draft.

He's injury prone, undersized for a 2 guard and not skilled enough for a point guard. Can't see Danny wasting money on him given his trade value would still be high before he hits the open market.
Moving him gives Brooks a chance to be a starting 2 guard in the NBA and also ensures we lose a few more games.
Should be plenty of demand for a defensive guard like Avery in a bruce bowen/6th man role.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2013, 12:06:22 AM »

Offline Phil125

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 57
Brandon Bass might as well wear a for sale sign.  He has a decent contract, can play, and is just an odd man out on this roster with Sully and KO. 

We just don't need him.

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2013, 12:58:30 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
To the contrary, I see this as a sign that we are standing pat for a while.

If Ainge were making another move of any magnitude, it would be pretty easy to bundle salaries in such a way to get under the luxury tax threshold.

The fact that he went out of his way to do it so precisely in a stand-alone transaction like this - in which we basically paid another team to take Fab's contract - tells me that this could be it for now.

Certainly that's one of the few explanations that makes sense. 

Ainge needed to get under the luxury tax, and if he didn't think a move later in the season was possible / likely, jumping on an opportunity to dump Melo would accomplish that goal.

If that's the case, though, it's disappointing.  I can't really imagine Danny committing to stand pat when we have a roster that's so in flux.  I guess it doesn't mean Danny won't make a trade, just that he doesn't necessarily believe that a good opportunity will present itself before the draft next year.

I wouldn't say he's standing pat.  Rather he's waiting for the right opportunity.  For now he had to get under the luxury tax so he dumped Melo's guaranteed contract.  Plus Melo never showed enough improvement to keep anyways.

I think you will see DA get a lot more busy close to the trade deadline, when Humphries' expiring actually becomes an asset for teams who plan to be active in free agency in 2014.

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2013, 01:03:36 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

I left out a few more Hortford, Drummond, even Okafer is a bruiser.  We are undersized at center, and it could be a struggle for us.

I was really just thinking about good teams and Bynum b/c he could be the best/2nd best when healthy. I did forget about Hibbert though. Oh and Joke Noah.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2013, 01:03:59 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

No way in a million years I trade Bradley for Asik.  Bradley is arguably the best defensive guard in the NBA, and can legitimately win your games with his defense.  Did people not see the transformation this team went through when Bradley replaced Ray in the starting linup in 2012?  The transformation when he returned from injury in 2013?

Bradley has that incredible ability to make the entire team better, even when it doesn't look like he's really doing anything.  He plays with such an incredible effort and intensity level, and it just seems to rub off onto everybody else.  When he starts picking up opposing guards with full court pressure and forcing errors other guy see this, and everybody's defensive effort seems to go up a level. 

Asik IMO just big and not much more.  He's Perk 2.0 pretty much...very replacable.

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2013, 01:11:13 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
I like Asik but I like AB more. Ehh, I hope we keep everyone and they all pan out lol! Now, I would give up some players for someone like Cousins though.

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2013, 01:22:58 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

No way in a million years I trade Bradley for Asik.  Bradley is arguably the best defensive guard in the NBA, and can legitimately win your games with his defense.  Did people not see the transformation this team went through when Bradley replaced Ray in the starting linup in 2012?  The transformation when he returned from injury in 2013?

Bradley has that incredible ability to make the entire team better, even when it doesn't look like he's really doing anything.  He plays with such an incredible effort and intensity level, and it just seems to rub off onto everybody else.  When he starts picking up opposing guards with full court pressure and forcing errors other guy see this, and everybody's defensive effort seems to go up a level. 

Asik IMO just big and not much more.  He's Perk 2.0 pretty much...very replacable.

You've got to be kidding right?
An undersized poor man's version of Tony Allen with an injury history of serious proportions-who's contract is coming up soon aswell- is worth more than one of top 10 rebounding defensive bigs in the NBA?

That is just ridiculous.

I mean it won't happen anyway because getting Asik makes usnslightly better but only stamps our mediocrity even harder because we still don't make the playoffs. All that salary tied up giving us more wins when we don't want them and his contract is up just as we'd hoping to put together a decent team.

The value of signing him to bump up his stats and points with easy looks from Rondo vs the extra 10 wins he'd get us is jot worth it when looking at how deep the draft is in the top 10.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.