Author Topic: Is another move coming?  (Read 15135 times)

Re: Is another move coming?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 03:28:47 PM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
Nah, I don't think so.

C - Humphries, Olynyk, Faverani
PF - Sullinger, Bass

That big man rotation looks fairly settled to me. And they have G-Wallace playing some PF minutes alongside J.Green (SF) as well. Not a lot of room for another rotation worthy big man, center, unless somebody else (a big man) is leaving to make way for the new center.

Hump is 6'9, Bass is 6'8, Sully is 6'9

KO can play Center but he's more of a stretch 4. 

Nobody knows what Faverani is yet. 

If you're goal is to be terrible then, yeah...bigs rotation is fine.  but if you're building towards something special then anytime you can potentially get your hands on a legit 7'1 defensive anchor who's 27 then you do it.  I'd do it all day  long for Bass/Bradley

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 03:29:13 PM »

Online ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 445
Yeah Celtics18, agreed.

What I meant but didn't clearly state was that if for this year we could find around 25 to 30 minutes for Olynyk between the PF spot and in the right situations, the center sport, that would be ideal.

I see him more as a PF for sure. But against  a lot of the smallish NBA centers out there today, he could play a few minutes at the five. If moving Fab facilitates that process and accelerates Olynyk's growth in the NBA, I'm for it.

But also as you said, I think we desperately need to find a legitimate long term solution at the center spot. The guy doesn't have to be a superstar - we can get superstars at the other positions - but he has to be legit, at least at the level of Pekovic or Asik

ddb: Would hate to see Avery go, but if you can land a legit center in the process, you have to seriously consider your trade from Boston's perspective.   

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 03:33:05 PM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
Yeah Celtics18, agreed.

What I meant but didn't clearly state was that if for this year we could find around 25 to 30 minutes for Olynyk between the PF spot and in the right situations, the center sport, that would be ideal.

I see him more as a PF for sure. But against  a lot of the smallish NBA centers out there today, he could play a few minutes at the five. If moving Fab facilitates that process and accelerates Olynyk's growth in the NBA, I'm for it.

But also as you said, I think we desperately need to find a legitimate long term solution at the center spot. The guy doesn't have to be a superstar - we can get superstars at the other positions - but he has to be legit, at least at the level of Pekovic or Asik

ddb: Would hate to see Avery go, but if you can land a legit center in the process, you have to seriously consider your trade from Boston's perspective.

quite frankly I don't think any of the current SG's are in Danny's long-term plans.  Maybe, just maybe Bradley if he significantly improves.
I think Lee is gone as soon as Danny finds a taker.  I think Bogans is an end of bench guy and then his option is clearly declined/or he's used as salary filler in a deadline deal.  I think Brooks is basically being given a tryout.  if he does well then he could be your backup 2 long-term and someone who can produce some points for you.  Crawford is as good as gone.  he's as good as gone as Fab IMO. 

the 2 is a position where there's a logjam but none of the guys will be wearing green in 2-3 years

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 03:33:27 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
the trade idea I've been talking about for weeks (Bass/Bradley/Crawford for Asik) to me makes sense on all levels.

For Houston- your title core is in place with Dwight/Harden/Parsons. you need role guys now. Bass gives you a playoff tested 4 who can shoot and rebound some. he's also played with Dwight before. He can start or come off the bench. regardless he's a solid pro who doesn't fit in with Boston's rebuilding plans and his skill-set has become redundant with Sully/Hump/KO.
Bradley is the real reason why Houston does this. Gives them a 3rd guard behind Lin/Harden. And because of Hardens ball handling ability you can even play Bradley/Harden significant minutes together. Bradley/Dwight exterior/interior defense could be downright scary for opposing teams. Let Houston decide if they want to sign Bradley long-term or not.
Asik/Dwight just doesn't make sense. Makes about as much sense as Boston's logjam at the 2 and 4. They're both true centers who need to play heavy minutes at the 5. neither can shoot FT's. both are post players who will clog the middle of the court playing together.

Why for Boston: Team is rebuilding. This trade doesn't change that. but it DOES give Boston another foundation piece (Asik) who can protect the rim and rebound. that's an obvious need right now when looking at Boston's depth chart on paper. Asik has a reasonable deal so Ainge can give him a good hard look and determine whether he wants him as part of the future or if he wants to use him as part of a blockbuster if the right deal comes along. This trade also helps us make more sense of the depth chart.

Asik/Sully/Green/Lee/Rondo with Hump/KO/Wallace/Brooks/Pressey and then Bogans/Faverani/Greene. Boston maintains control of their cap. can further explore deals to unload Wallace/Lee if and when they can reestablish their value. Ainge keeps all of his draft picks.

I just think it makes all the sense in the world. And really all it takes is Bostons willingness to include Bradley. As much as I like Bradley I think I'd rather have Asik + unload Bass

I agree with you and Scooby that I'd hate to let Avery go, but I would definitely welcome that trade. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 03:37:46 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Nah, I don't think so.

PF - Sullinger, Bass

That big man rotation looks fairly settled to me. And they have G-Wallace playing some PF minutes alongside J.Green (SF) as well. Not a lot of room for another rotation worthy big man, center, unless somebody else (a big man) is leaving to make way for the new center.

If you're goal is to be terrible then, yeah...bigs rotation is fine.  but if you're building towards something special then anytime you can potentially get your hands on a legit 7'1 defensive anchor who's 27 then you do it.  I'd do it all day  long for Bass/Bradley

What I am saying is = there is barely enough big man minutes to go around as it is right now. Adding another guy who needs 30mpg will make it very hard to give the guys you already have the court time they need.

So unless one of those big men are going out with a quality center coming back in return -- which seems very unlikely -- I don't see Ainge making a move because his big mam is already jam-packed.

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 03:38:37 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Nah, I don't think so.

PF - Sullinger, Bass

Humphries and Olynyk are not centers.

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 03:39:31 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Nah, I don't think so.

PF - Sullinger, Bass

Agreed. There are four PFs and one C there.

And in order to get everyone playing time, some of those PFs are going to have to play some C.

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 03:40:38 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Nah, I don't think so.

PF - Sullinger, Bass

And in order to get everyone playing time, some of those PFs are going to have to play some C.

Agreed Who. I think people are missing the point.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 03:42:15 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Nah, I don't think so.

PF - Sullinger, Bass

I still have a sneaking suspicion that either Humphries, Wallace or both will be moved before the season.

That press conference looked WAY too awkward, Wallace wasn't even there (not sure I buy the basketball camp reason) and then Sherrod Blakely came out with a story 24 hours later that the Celts were already looking to deal Humph and G.W.

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 03:48:17 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Nah, I don't think so.

PF - Sullinger, Bass

What I am saying is = there is barely enough big man minutes to go around as it is right now. Adding another guy who needs 30mpg will make it very hard to give the guys you already have the court time they need.

So unless one of those big men are going out with a quality center coming back in return -- which seems very unlikely -- I don't see Ainge making a move because his big mam is already jam-packed.

ddb's proposal was specifically to trade Bass, Bradley, and Crawford for Omer Asik.

That would give you a rotation of:

Asik/Humphries/Faverani
Sullinger/Olynyk

I'd feel much better about that big rotation, and I still think there'd be plenty of minutes for everybody.  I'd hate to lose Bradley, but I'd definitely be willing to part with Bass to make room for playing time for our two younger PFs with (hopefully) more upside. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 03:55:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Nah, I don't think so.

PF - Sullinger, Bass

I still have a sneaking suspicion that either Humphries, Wallace or both will be moved before the season.

That press conference looked WAY too awkward, Wallace wasn't even there (not sure I buy the basketball camp reason) and then Sherrod Blakely came out with a story 24 hours later that the Celts were already looking to deal Humph and G.W.

I am not expecting either of those two to be traded. I think they are both too difficult to move.

Gerald Wallace because of the three years and $30 million he is owed.

Humphries because he is earning $12 million which makes it hard for teams to match money in trade talks. Usually teams have to give up 2-4 role players to match that contract which generally doesn't make any sense because Humphries won't add as much as the team would be sending out. Or, they will be looking to dump a superior player with a bad long term contract which Danny Ainge is unlikely to want. Either way, tough to make a deal.

I don't expect Olynyk or Sullinger to be moved at this point either. Better to develop them and consider trading them at a later point when they are more proven.

Which leaves Bass who I don't think has much trade value.

In other words, I am not optimistic about Boston making a deal. Limited trade options. So, I think Ainge is going to look to go forward with the guys he has already got. Make a move further down the line. Maybe in 12 months time.

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 04:00:41 PM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
I don't see any point in trading Wallace or Humphries right now.  Unless Danny has an awesome deal lined up, but I think it's too early for that. 

Hump's 12 million expiring will be a nice tradeable asset at the deadline.  And if Danny doesn't see the right deal out there then he expires which bodes well for controlling the cap. 

Wallace has zero value right now.  keep him, let him reestablish himself a bit and perhaps you have a contending team willing to give you something for him.  but really, at the end of the day Danny would be wise to simply accept an expiring contract for Wallace at the trade deadline from a contending team.  opens up even more cap flexibility going into next offseason

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 04:08:18 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I think Asik would be great but I don't that package is enough to get him.

I think Asik would cost something more along the lines of Jeff Green. A middle of the pack to above average starter (Asik's asking price). Since that is roughly what Asik is (middle of the pack starting five) and is at one of the most difficult positions (center) in the league to fill.

I think Houston will get better offers than a Bass/Bradley package unless Houston is bullish on Bradley's potential.

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2013, 05:12:10 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I wouldn't mind seeing Danny cash in a 1st (or 2) to trade for a player that can play now and well.  Package with Hump for the classic expiring plus pick package that everyone supposedly wants so badly.

If that gets us a quality veteran center, that'd be good; if it gets us a sub-star, high-level center, we'd have moved the rebuild ahead by at least a couple of years.

Worth a pick, maybe even two, pref. Clips and one of our own.

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 05:22:49 PM »

Offline filmexec

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
Of course another move is coming! Olynyk will be pounded at the Center position review the summer league. He would be better and less beat up at the Stretch Power Forward Position. Remember the players we got from the Nets "CAN'T" be traded until September 15th according to the CBA. They can only be traded w/o another Player right now. Wallace and Humphries are excellent role players but not worth another teams star players alone i.e. Asik, Drummond, Gortat, etc. That restriction will change after the 15th of September.