Author Topic: Cold to Hot on Olynyk  (Read 8813 times)

Re: Cold to Hot on Olynyk
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2013, 10:39:49 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I just want to temper expectations a little

His first 4 games he has started at pf with Melo at center.

The guys he has started against have been.....in order  Andrew Nicholson, Tony Mitchel from North Texas, a guy I neeeevvvveeerr heard of, and Terrence Jones. Against Terrence Jones ( a guy that hardly got off the bench last year) he missed all 5 of his 3 point attempts even though he's a good 3 inches taller, he went 3-6 from the line, he fouled 7 times in less than 30 minutes, and he got 5 TOs.  Against Terrence Jones.

I like him too. But he has a ways to go

you serious?? Why don't you play 4 games in 4 days and see if you can stay playing at a high level.

Imo the celts summer league schedule is kind of ridiculous. This is how injuries occur. Celts should of sat Olynyk today. Still he did well statwise. And it was his worse game
He's like 21. When I was 21 it was no problem whatsoever to play for hours a day for days at a time. He's playing less than 30 minutes a game. He played 4 games against these guys. At some point he'll have to play back to backs against K Love and Boozer or something.  That's harder

I am with eja in this one, No mercy for rookies in my book
they are here to earn their jerseys
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2013, 10:46:13 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I just want to temper expectations a little

His first 4 games he has started at pf with Melo at center.

The guys he has started against have been.....in order  Andrew Nicholson, Tony Mitchel from North Texas, a guy I neeeevvvveeerr heard of, and Terrence Jones. Against Terrence Jones ( a guy that hardly got off the bench last year) he missed all 5 of his 3 point attempts even though he's a good 3 inches taller, he went 3-6 from the line, he fouled 7 times in less than 30 minutes, and he got 5 TOs.  Against Terrence Jones.

I like him too. But he has a ways to go

you serious?? Why don't you play 4 games in 4 days and see if you can stay playing at a high level.

Imo the celts summer league schedule is kind of ridiculous. This is how injuries occur. Celts should of sat Olynyk today. Still he did well statwise. And it was his worse game
He's like 21. When I was 21 it was no problem whatsoever to play for hours a day for days at a time. He's playing less than 30 minutes a game. He played 4 games against these guys. At some point he'll have to play back to backs against K Love and Boozer or something.  That's harder

I am with eja in this one, No mercy for rookies in my book
they are here to earn their jerseys

Olynyk still has plenty to learn, but losing his legs on his 3's yesterday, given how hard he plays when he's out there and it was his fourth game in four days should not be a concern. 

And T Jones is a very good young player of just the physical type bound to be Olynyk's greatest challenge--but he was held to 3-12.

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2013, 11:07:44 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't understand how some people are so excited to bury Olynyk.  I guess it's a reaction to others who are desperate for ANYTHING to be excited about related to the Celtics right now -- you know, the people heralding him as the next Dirk.

If Olynyk turns out to be something like a seven foot Ryan Anderson (solid stretch PF with passable rebounding and questionable defense), are we going to count him a bust?  At #13 I'd be pretty psyched about that.

Heck, if he's just a role player who can come off the bench for 20 minutes a night at either big position and score 10-12 points a game spreading the floor and posting up smaller defenders, that would be great.

Look at how useful (very) flawed players like Matt Bonner, Steve Novak, Channing Frye, Chris Copeland etc have been for some really good teams in recent seasons.  I feel like Kelly at the very least will be a high quality version of that sort of player.  That's a solid asset.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2013, 11:57:11 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I don't understand how some people are so excited to bury Olynyk.  I guess it's a reaction to others who are desperate for ANYTHING to be excited about related to the Celtics right now -- you know, the people heralding him as the next Dirk.

If Olynyk turns out to be something like a seven foot Ryan Anderson (solid stretch PF with passable rebounding and questionable defense), are we going to count him a bust?  At #13 I'd be pretty psyched about that.

Heck, if he's just a role player who can come off the bench for 20 minutes a night at either big position and score 10-12 points a game spreading the floor and posting up smaller defenders, that would be great.

Look at how useful (very) flawed players like Matt Bonner, Steve Novak, Channing Frye, Chris Copeland etc have been for some really good teams in recent seasons.  I feel like Kelly at the very least will be a high quality version of that sort of player.  That's a solid asset.

Thank you.  I agree the conversation had devolved into Dirk or bust.

Now I will say something that will probably rouse the dander of the don't-get-excited crowd:  This guy is an NBA lock.  He made it.  He's in like Flynn, etc....  I think on draft night many of us couldn't say that due to our perception of him as slow.  Hence the excitement.  We're excited not because summer league is a great barometer (it isn't) but because we have eyeballs. 

I doubt he'll ever make an all-star team (maybe once or twice in his late twenties), but who cares.  We got a good player in a weak draft, who, if smothered on defense, will find someone open.

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2013, 12:18:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Now I will say something that will probably rouse the dander of the don't-get-excited crowd:  This guy is an NBA lock.  He made it.  He's in like Flynn, etc....  I think on draft night many of us couldn't say that due to our perception of him as slow.  Hence the excitement.  We're excited not because summer league is a great barometer (it isn't) but because we have eyeballs. 

I doubt he'll ever make an all-star team (maybe once or twice in his late twenties), but who cares.  We got a good player in a weak draft, who, if smothered on defense, will find someone open.

"in like Flynn" seems like a poor choice of rhyme / phrase here, considering it evokes Jonny Flynn, who also "made it" in the league for a couple seasons before teams realized he's not an NBA player at all, and probably never will be.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2013, 12:29:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

He has the hair to be a rock star. I mean all star.

If he keeps this up, he will get a ton of votes with rondo to make the all star game sooner or later. The bos fans, skater fans , rock fans, canadian fans will vote for him

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2013, 12:44:24 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't understand how some people are so excited to bury Olynyk.

Anyone who predicted that Olynyk would be a bust or who wanted the Celtics to draft someone else (like Shabazz Muhammad) is probably interested in burying Olynyk to make themselves look better.

Why, yes, I am laying down a marker for my belief that Olynyk is a better prospect than Shabazz.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2013, 01:30:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I don't understand how some people are so excited to bury Olynyk.

Anyone who predicted that Olynyk would be a bust or who wanted the Celtics to draft someone else (like Shabazz Muhammad) is probably interested in burying Olynyk to make themselves look better.

Why, yes, I am laying down a marker for my belief that Olynyk is a better prospect than Shabazz.

Actually, the whole point of this thread (started by me) was that I originally thought he would be a bust, and have been very presently surprised by the skill set he has shown in Summer League, and am now routing for him to continue to excel.

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2013, 02:08:09 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Anyone have a feeling that Olynyk might look even better when he gets quality passes from a guy like Rondo instead of Pressey?  That's a scary thought.

And the fact that he can handle the ball and pass the ball as a big man is also a great bonus skillset to have.  If he doesn't get a good look, we know KO won't be a black hole on offense.  And its a lot easier to trust someone with the ball when you know they are an unselfish teammate.

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2013, 02:24:06 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

He has the hair to be a rock star. I mean all star.

If he keeps this up, he will get a ton of votes with rondo to make the all star game sooner or later. The bos fans, skater fans , rock fans, canadian fans will vote for him

Not to mention, basketball fans. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2013, 03:38:34 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Anyone have a feeling that Olynyk might look even better when he gets quality passes from a guy like Rondo instead of Pressey?  That's a scary thought.

And the fact that he can handle the ball and pass the ball as a big man is also a great bonus skillset to have.  If he doesn't get a good look, we know KO won't be a black hole on offense.  And its a lot easier to trust someone with the ball when you know they are an unselfish teammate.

I agree with your thoughts, I think he will probably struggle with some of his moves for a bit until he figures out what works best for him vs certain opponents though.  He's going to be matched up against a different level of player than he is used to.

As far as catch and shoot and running the floor though, with Rondo he should excel.  If we play Sully and Olynyk with Rondo that's two bigs who can score in the post and stretch the floor at once, a nice asset for Rondo to pass to and to open up the floor for his drives.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2013, 04:30:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The one thing olynyk has to work on or limit is taking threes after dribbling  or being unbalanced. He has missed lots of threes this way. And its very hard to do, thats why nowitzki is nowitzki and bird is bird.

But when his feet are set, ready to shoot , he has made the three.

From inside the 3 line he has no issues shooting the ball even with a hand on his face, fading away, dribble stop and pop.

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2013, 04:58:39 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Pressey is not a bad passer, he averaged 7.1 APG last year in the NCAA.  Don't confuse lack of chemistry for lack of ability they are two different things.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/statistics/player/_/stat/assists/sort/avgAssists

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2013, 09:19:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I like how some of you guys are comparing your at the park/YMCA basketball days as a young man to what these guys are going through  ::)
Right. Because running for hours on end at the park is just completely different than running for 30 minutes with pro trainers, pro massage guys and pro equipment on hand and pro chefs for all your meals.   You guys just can't understand what these guys are going through. THIS IS THE NBA!

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2013, 09:25:51 PM »

Offline Celtics/Run

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 35
How did my KO hype thread get deleted?