Author Topic: Cold to Hot on Olynyk  (Read 8809 times)

Re: Cold to Hot on Olynyk
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 01:57:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Not to be a wet blanket, but I've seen my share of players who look like all-stars in summer league.
I think I'll hold off until I see him play against real NBA players before I form an opinion.

If you can name me the last 7ft players that stuffed his stats three and prob four summer league games in a row, but it ended horribly in the nba, i will then temper my optimism.

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 02:05:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Its Summer League people!!!!

Donatas Montiejunas was a Summer League star last year. When it got to the point where he had to play actual NBA teams and go against their defenses and players, Montiejunas suddenly wasn't good enough to play for half the season and when he did, didn't look all that impressive.

That doesn't mean Olynyk goes the same way(though I think he will) but let's temper the expectations based on Summer League. Its not like he is playing against the Chris Boshs, Serge Ibakas, Anderson Varejaos, Kevin Garnetts, LaMarcus Aldridges, Josh Smiths or Tim Duncans of the world.

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 02:12:20 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Donatas Montiejunas was a Summer League star last year. When it got to the point where he had to play actual NBA teams and go against their defenses and players, Montiejunas suddenly wasn't good enough to play for half the season and when he did, didn't look all that impressive.

That doesn't mean Olynyk goes the same way(though I think he will) but let's temper the expectations based on Summer League. Its not like he is playing against the Chris Boshs, Serge Ibakas, Anderson Varejaos, Kevin Garnetts, LaMarcus Aldridges, Josh Smiths or Tim Duncans of the world.

You make a good point, but I think it has a few flaws.  KO is YET to have a BAD game, right?  Donatas had one game with ONLY one point and four turnovers and four fouls.  That should have screamed to everyone of a consistency problem.  BTW, Donatas was a +6 in the playoffs in only a one game appearance:-))

Donatas will probably end up a very serviceable player in the long run!!

Smitty77

http://www.nba.com/summer-league/2012/players/sl_donatas_motiejunas/

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 02:13:46 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Also, Donatas did NOT have the steals or show the passing capacity that KO has clearly shown.

Smitty77

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 02:16:38 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Regardless of what league, its always good to have the MVP of the camp be residing on your team.

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 02:19:39 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406

Summer league of a noncontending/ rebuilding celtics team and celticsblog is in full tilt.
Gotta love the fan base, even if we're all mad as hatters.
This kid Oly has me excited though. Already scheming how to build around him.

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 02:20:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Montie is a very good example vs oly bc similarities of size, skillset. The diff is oly has a better post game , fg shooting per pre nba, and is less kocky. Montie is known to be streaky and esp lazy bc he thinks he is that good.

From some rocket gamed ive seen his effort on the defense is bad. Has no interest to battle on the inside. Ive seen much more battle from olynyk already.

Good example still

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 02:46:21 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think that Donny Mo is going to be a legitimate NBA starter caliber player.  I think the Klynyk is legit too.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 02:50:32 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
It's the way a guy plays when you can tell if it will work in the league. It's tough to see how he will be shut down offensively in the league. Maybe with tweener 3s and elite defensive 4's.

Writing off Motie's performance in the league last season is twice as laughable as writing off Olynyk's performance now. But, all Gonzaga players are the same, right?  ;D

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 02:54:45 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

That's why you evaluate how they play, and not their numbers.

The IQ, the passing, the skill set.  Forget summer league numbers, or this and that.  It's how he plays the game where the excitement should stem from. 

The guy looks the part & knows the game.  You can judge that in real prime time or in the summer league.

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 03:03:29 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
There's a certain "vibe" you can get from a player, even if it is summer league. It's not the most scientific way to view things, but Kelly's putting off a certain vibe that he could certainly be a major contributor. His IQ is silly, on top of excellent skills.

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 04:32:37 PM »

Offline TeamGreen.dm

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • here comes Banner 18
 [dang] i just made a thread extremely similar to this. My fault all.

But seriously his Rebounding and Defense is looking great vs the Rockets today
"I am not going to back down from any challenge. Like I said, you are going to have to prove to me. I am a fighter; I will keep fighting and will never give up." Marcus Smart

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 05:22:43 PM »

Online Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
KO has been solid. Very efficient. He hardly ever throws up a bad shot. I've seen maybe two or Three? MAYBE.

He'd have more assists if Melo could go up fast and strong to the hoop. Probably has 4 less assists because of that. I think if you can bring in a solid center they would play well with each other.

I think he and Rondo will work well together. He'd take KGs spot in the pick and pop. Has the same range, maybe even better. But he's been pretty spot on at 18ft.

He's funny, because he looks awkward but still in control. Plus he has a ton of go to moves. He had the McHale post move the other day, and up fake and then go under his defender. Hook shots, turn and shoot, Pops out. The transition 3 was nice to see as well.

Either the make up of the team will hurt him or do him well. With out legit threats like KG and PP the D will focus on him more. But that could also work out for him because he will have to step up.

I really hope he does well, type of kid that deserves to do well. Plays the game right, knows what he's doing. Unlike some of these over athletic poor BBIQ kids who just play for the fame and money. 

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 05:37:41 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
He is a pro no doubt, even if this is summer league.  His ceiling remains to be seen.  Here is a bit of devils advocate question.

our 2 young guys/last draft picks who show real potential are both power forwards......

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2013, 05:55:08 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

D-Mo showed some intriguing potential in the regular season.  Good scoring numbers, if not at optimal efficiency.  Horrible rebounder, but that was the knock on him coming into the league - Olynyk has a better track record on the boards (though still not great).

I'd be very satisfied if Olynyk turned in a rookie season similar to D-Mo's with better rebounding numbers.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri