Author Topic: Cold to Hot on Olynyk  (Read 8814 times)

Cold to Hot on Olynyk
« on: July 10, 2013, 11:27:43 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I must confess, I absolutely hated the Olynyk pick, not to mention moving up 3 spots to get him.  The one game I saw him play, in the NCAA tournament, who looked outmatched, and completely unsuitable to play in the NBA,

Well, I am doing a 180 on this guy after watching him play in 3 summer league games. Granted, take it with a grain of salt, it's summer league, but boy, has he impressed me with his skill set on the offensive end.  I give Danny great credit for targeting him in the draft.  I know it's early, but to identify a starting power forward with the 13th pick in the 2013 draft would be a phenomenal coup.

Wonder how many other fans out there have changed their early negative view of KO to a very positive one.

Re: Cold to Hot on Olynyk
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 11:30:09 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
It's the natural roller coaster for fans. Hate the pick to like the pick to love the pick to Hall of Fame.

It's a process that happens. Currently I'm in the love the pick stage  :)

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 11:46:50 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I'm in a similar position. I'm not going to get too excited until Olynyk shows he can play well against legit NBA competition, but I feel much, much more positive than I did a week ago.

Between this and last year (when I was dead set on us getting Royce White), I'm starting to wonder whether maybe Danny Ainge is a better evaluator of NBA talent than I am. Is that possible?

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 11:51:47 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
hated the pick.  But he's turned me into a beleiver.  Lookin forward to seeing how he does on the nba level/

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 11:54:26 AM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
I wonder how many Kelly wigs we're going to see in the stands by the All-Star break. He'll have nothing on Harden beards, certainly, but you gotta believe he'll make a splash.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 11:54:44 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Regardless of the competition, he obviously has the skill set to become great or at least a solid contributor on any team.  So its hard to be cold on this type of prospect. If he's a basketball junkie, he'll get to work on the things he needs to improve on.  It doesn't feel like he's a slouch and won't put the work in to improve.  He looks the part of a hard worker and someone who will get better, and better, and better over time.

How can you not be hot on the pick ?

Helluva pick by Danny.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 11:57:44 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I must confess, I absolutely hated the Olynyk pick, not to mention moving up 3 spots to get him.  The one game I saw him play, in the NCAA tournament, who looked outmatched, and completely unsuitable to play in the NBA,

Well, I am doing a 180 on this guy after watching him play in 3 summer league games. Granted, take it with a grain of salt, it's summer league, but boy, has he impressed me with his skill set on the offensive end.  I give Danny great credit for targeting him in the draft.  I know it's early, but to identify a starting power forward with the 13th pick in the 2013 draft would be a phenomenal coup.

Wonder how many other fans out there have changed their early negative view of KO to a very positive one.
As someone who was heavily entrenched on the Olynyk bandwagon even before the draft, I forgive you and welcome you to join me with open arms.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
What game were you watching in the tourney?  I've been high on him throughout and the tourney only further made me confident in him, he played well.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 12:29:30 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
"Alligator arms", "can't bound", "no D", "too slow", "not athletic"....etc, etc, etc (probably DA feeding those fires of pre-draft talk)

Some or all of it could be true, but he can still ball.

Lucky for us....thanks DA, once again.

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 12:32:55 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
"Alligator arms", "can't bound", "no D", "too slow", "not athletic"....etc, etc, etc (probably DA feeding those fires of pre-draft talk)

I think they legitimately liked Adams too.  Still, Scal worked out with both of them and was incredibly vocal in his praise of Adams only.  Is he that mediocre a judge of talent or was he doing Danny a favor in both whom he talked up--and whom he didn't?

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 12:38:21 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I think they legitimately liked Adams too.  Still, Scal worked out with both of them and was incredibly vocal in his praise of Adams only.  Is he that mediocre a judge of talent or was he doing Danny a favor in both whom he talked up--and whom he didn't?

I don't know I guess that's possible.

I mean it's easy to see why Olynyk would fall for the same reasons Sully would have (he plummeted because of the injury concern, but even before that, he went from no. 1 pick his freshman year and if healthy next year would have probably been taken like 12th).  Basically all the reasons said above will cause a team to look away from this type of player.

People fall in love with athleticism, often for good reason.  I think this year we saw some blow back against though, especially with the first pick in Bennett over Noel and then ours.  Keep in mind that even if he fell some, Olynyk was still a lottery pick.  This wasn't like no one thought he was any good.  I'm pretty confident Dallas wanted him anyways.

I wanted him or Shroeder all along though so I can't really get the angle of not liking Olynyk too much anyways.  His skills always seemed like they would not only translate but be more effective in the pro game.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 12:39:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
From watching clips and reading about him i knew he could score. Actually was impressed by his inside outside game for his height. But was unimpressed and worried about his defense. So i was against picking him. I value defense alot. After getting a hold of real games to watch, i realized that even though he wont be an excellent defender, his anticipation and motor was off the charts.  I was pleased we drafted him actually and glad we didnt pick a non big, or raw bigs like dieng, adams.

And after watching summer leagur im sold on his capabilities on both end. Again wont be the anchor on defense, but as he gains nba experience and gains strength and quickness will be an above avg defender in the mold of david west. Just a solid team defender that can clog the middle a bit.

I think we got a steal here and i havent felt this way since celts drafted al jefferson mid teens 6 years ago

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 01:05:35 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
@SteveBHoop

NBA Coach on Olynyk: "maybe good enough to get a GM fired for passing on him. LOL"

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 01:27:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
@SteveBHoop

NBA Coach on Olynyk: "maybe good enough to get a GM fired for passing on him. LOL"

76rs , bobcats, jazz, pistons, okc, mavs could be the biggest losers on missing out on olynyk. Still early but i dont see zeller being better, nor steven adams.

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 01:47:41 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Not to be a wet blanket, but I've seen my share of players who look like all-stars in summer league.
I think I'll hold off until I see him play against real NBA players before I form an opinion.