Author Topic: Rondo or Conley jr?  (Read 6367 times)

Re: Rondo or Conley jr?
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2013, 07:31:50 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Conley is a better defender, a better finisher and shooter. Rondo a better passer and rebounder. I would take Conley.

I'm guessing by "finishing" you mean something other than finishing at the rim, where Rondo's had a higher fg% 4 of the past 5 years.

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2013, 10:25:27 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
Rondo is the better player, but Conley has more idealistic prototypical pg skills.

You think so?  I'd say that Rondo's passing ability is more of a prototypical PG skill than Conley's shooting.

Agreed, but now more than ever it's imperative that all the wing players on a playoff team can somewhat reliably hit from deep, and I think Mike C represents a better fit for more teams trying to compete right now than Rondo does.

Rondo's lack of shooting ability is what makes him less idealistic. IMO, the prototypical point guard should be the ultimate triple threat(Driving, Passing, and shooting). Offensively, Conley's game is more balanced than Rondo's.  Basically Conley's game would work on a wider range of teams than Rondo's.

this is basically what i was thinking and still am... conley is more balanced overall and can fit in on any team, rondo is more talented in ways but less balanced and cant shoot as well and therefore can't fit every team, like  a poor shooting team pursay.... I love rondo don't get me wrond I just love conley a wee bit more ;D

heck if we could have both itd be sweet!, replace bradley with conley? conley is an inch shorter but same weight.....hmmmmmmm could be legit backcourt!!!! :o

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2013, 02:13:32 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Rondo is the better player, but Conley has more idealistic prototypical pg skills.

You think so?  I'd say that Rondo's passing ability is more of a prototypical PG skill than Conley's shooting.

Agreed, but now more than ever it's imperative that all the wing players on a playoff team can somewhat reliably hit from deep, and I think Mike C represents a better fit for more teams trying to compete right now than Rondo does.

Rondo's lack of shooting ability is what makes him less idealistic. IMO, the prototypical point guard should be the ultimate triple threat(Driving, Passing, and shooting). Offensively, Conley's game is more balanced than Rondo's.  Basically Conley's game would work on a wider range of teams than Rondo's.

this is basically what i was thinking and still am... conley is more balanced overall and can fit in on any team, rondo is more talented in ways but less balanced and cant shoot as well and therefore can't fit every team, like  a poor shooting team pursay.... I love rondo don't get me wrond I just love conley a wee bit more ;D

heck if we could have both itd be sweet!, replace bradley with conley? conley is an inch shorter but same weight.....hmmmmmmm could be legit backcourt!!!! :o

Lol, I think that backcourt would be terrible, but i'm also not a fan of AB and ROndo together which everyone seems to love. IMO the difference between Rondo in Conley is that at Rondo's best he's basically a top 5 player not just point guard. The comparison is fair until the play-offs come around and Rondo basically types in the GOD mode cheat.  :)

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2013, 02:30:33 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
"To borrow a bit from BBallTim's logic, Conley has already 'carried his team' to the WCF this year, doing what Playoff Rondo did last year.

I like Rondo's play a lot, but Mike Conley doesn't allow you to ignore him on the perimeter, which is getting more and more valuable as teams shoot more threes."

That's what the eye test was telling me. But then I hopped on basketball reference, and by the numbers the difference is pretty minor (Rondo shoots better, Mike C gets to the line more). Maybe I should put down the new toy in the aisle and be happy with the things I already have. ;D

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=rondora01&y1=2012&p2=conlemi01&y2=2013#playoffs_per_game::none
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2013, 07:22:48 AM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Some here don't realize RONDO makes a CHOICE to be more of the BEST passer and BALL HANDLER than anyone else..he has shown he can drive to the rim anytime, and no one can do anything about it....he moves out there like he is skating around guys on dry land.....layups and shots.....look at the great scorers....look at their %...shooters shoot till it hits....shooting is ALL adjustments....if you practice, then in the game...you keep popping...it WILL come...Rondo shows he is more of a team player to those who can see.......He could easily be the scorer any of these other guys are.....but he understands the pg position better........and make no mistake, always dribbling, moving and passing takes A LOT OF GAS......go try dribbling full court for a few minutes, you'll see...some here want him to be all things.....as if anyone else EVER was....Jordon didn't bring the ball up, Bird didn't, Magic...they drew the double team.....to USE it....but all that is work.....respect the pass....he WAS the #1 assist guy for how many years...?

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2013, 08:54:50 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Magic led the league in assists four times. Rondo's done it twice (as has his de facto Celtics Blog comparison, Chris Paul).

Steve Nash and J-Kidd have done it five times each. Stockton had nine straight seasons.

Depending on how far back you want to go, Oscar Robertson has done it six times, and Cousey did it for eight straight seasons.

(http://www.nbauniverse.com/awards/nba_assists_leader_year.htm)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2013, 09:27:06 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Rondo; he's proven to be absolutely prolific at times. Especially during the playoffs. When Rondo's on, it's something special.

Conley has been super, super solid IMO. Just has never shown that level Rondo can kick it in to.

Yup...best way to put it. Rondo can be prolific and special when he's just solid, people nag. Conley is just solid. End discussion.

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2013, 09:38:50 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Rondo; he's proven to be absolutely prolific at times. Especially during the playoffs. When Rondo's on, it's something special.

Conley has been super, super solid IMO. Just has never shown that level Rondo can kick it in to.

Yup...best way to put it. Rondo can be prolific and special when he's just solid, people nag. Conley is just solid. End discussion.

Took the words outta my mouth. Conely is a very good starting PG but he doesn't have the next gear persay where Rondo can just go ballistic and take over a game
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2013, 12:01:35 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Magic led the league in assists four times. Rondo's done it twice (as has his de facto Celtics Blog comparison, Chris Paul).

Steve Nash and J-Kidd have done it five times each. Stockton had nine straight seasons.

Depending on how far back you want to go, Oscar Robertson has done it six times, and Cousey did it for eight straight seasons.

(http://www.nbauniverse.com/awards/nba_assists_leader_year.htm)
I know...what does that mean.you agree with me...sorta.....my point was how good rondo is...and still he is young and early in his career...and how I wish he would get ref respect like derrik rose....et al....!

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2013, 12:27:47 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I agree with you. I just put that up so we have a reference to the kind of company that Rondo's in right now. The dude is clearly one of the best point guards in the league.

I still think you could put Rondo on fewer teams than Conley for reasons that have very little to do with the things that Rondo is good at. That Grizzlies team would be worse with Rondo than Mike C, in my estimation, because Rondo's skill-set doesn't seem like it would work well with inside-out and post-heavy offenses.

To me, what makes Rondo so special is his creativity on the break and in the half-court. His lack of perimeter shooting really cramps his ability to punish teams for leaving him open, especially when he decides not to drive (usually because he isn't getting the calls).

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2013, 12:39:33 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
good stuff guys....after having a day to think it over id say rondo is the better player but i still take conley bc he is a better shooter, same reason why id take kobe over lebron all day any day, i like shooters what can i say  ;D

NO WAY!  Lebron is like 8 years younger and he is also a FORCE on defense.  Lebron's the much better all around player than Kobe.  I don't see Kobe dominating with his defense the way Lebron does.  And when Lebron gets hot, he's about as good as any other shooter in the league.

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2013, 12:52:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Mike Conley Jr. for me. If you ask this question in 2009, anybody in the world would say Rondo.

But today definitely Conley Jr. His game has matured like fine wine.  He is excellent at all aspects of the game. And unlike Rondo doesn't gamble on defense and is an excellent shooter from the three point line.

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2013, 01:09:08 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
not sure why that 1 person believes conley is a better defender. rondo's been on 4 nba all-defensive teams. how many has conley been on ?

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2013, 01:21:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
not sure why that 1 person believes conley is a better defender. rondo's been on 4 nba all-defensive teams. how many has conley been on ?

all defensive team bc he used to try. Now he just gambles alot. Conley doesn't and is a very good 1 on 1 defender

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2013, 01:24:47 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283