Author Topic: Report: Pierce expects to be traded or released  (Read 8103 times)

Re: Report: Pierce expects to be traded or released
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2013, 03:09:37 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
well,  pierce certainly isn't getting paid 15 million next year.  anywhere.  he just isn't worth that kind of money to any businessman.
a lot of players are getting paid more than they're worth on the court.  PP adds more than his court skills to the Celtics as an organization.  He's going into the last year of his deal.  if he was on the books for more than a year at that rate, I'd think the possibility of him being dealt/bought out more realistic but for one year I think the C's hang on to him with the thought of resigning for a year at a much more appropriate salary

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2013, 11:25:14 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
There would be cap benefits, cutting Pierce would allow us to avoid the tax apron and we'd be eligible for sign & trades, and have more money available for the MLE.

There would be zero cap benefits that would help us sign a better player than PP after we cut him.  You think you could get a significant player to sign for the MLE??

We're only talking 3m here.  I'd much rather trade away a guy like Terry, Lee or Bass than cut Pierce.  There's no way he resigns for the vet min, when other teams who can actually contend would love to have him.

Trading Pierce makes the most sense if we can't make a move to shed 3m in salary.  Don't know who he would goto or what we could get back in return though.

Golden State has talent galore and needs to figure out how to keep some of them-- no need for PP--he will not put them over the top, especially at $15mil.

Only place PP goes is a veteran team who wants one more shot and will sacrifice some youth for that chance.  Celtics have the same decision to make!

Actually Golden State is EXACTLY the type of team who would benefit most from Paul Pierce.  He offers veteran leadership and clutch scoring to close out games.  They have extra talent to use as trade chips.  Plus they are a Western team, and Pierce apparently would love to go back home to California.  It would be quite a good match, depending on what we get back in return.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 11:30:30 AM by vjcsmoke »

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2013, 02:58:22 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
There would be cap benefits, cutting Pierce would allow us to avoid the tax apron and we'd be eligible for sign & trades, and have more money available for the MLE.

There would be zero cap benefits that would help us sign a better player than PP after we cut him.  You think you could get a significant player to sign for the MLE??

We're only talking 3m here.  I'd much rather trade away a guy like Terry, Lee or Bass than cut Pierce.  There's no way he resigns for the vet min, when other teams who can actually contend would love to have him.

Trading Pierce makes the most sense if we can't make a move to shed 3m in salary.  Don't know who he would goto or what we could get back in return though.

Golden State has talent galore and needs to figure out how to keep some of them-- no need for PP--he will not put them over the top, especially at $15mil.

Only place PP goes is a veteran team who wants one more shot and will sacrifice some youth for that chance.  Celtics have the same decision to make!

Actually Golden State is EXACTLY the type of team who would benefit most from Paul Pierce.  He offers veteran leadership and clutch scoring to close out games.  They have extra talent to use as trade chips.  Plus they are a Western team, and Pierce apparently would love to go back home to California.  It would be quite a good match, depending on what we get back in return.

I agree Paul, as a player, would fit well on Golden State and they could send us back some young talent but no way they (or maybe anyone else) will commit $15 million for the role Paul can provide.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2013, 03:20:48 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I assume that any Pierce trade to Golden State will involve Andris Biedrins (after he declines his ETO) in green.  Of course, the Warriors have no draft picks this year (not even in the second round) to kick in.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2013, 03:24:02 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

My post was in response to someone saying we waive Paul in order to renegotiate his salary.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2013, 04:37:08 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

My post was in response to someone saying we waive Paul in order to renegotiate his salary.

Well you can forget any fantasy of them giving up Barnes for him
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2013, 05:23:21 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
a lot of players are getting paid more than they're worth on the court.  PP adds more than his court skills to the Celtics as an organization.  He's going into the last year of his deal.  if he was on the books for more than a year at that rate, I'd think the possibility of him being dealt/bought out more realistic but for one year I think the C's hang on to him with the thought of resigning for a year at a much more appropriate salary

At the end of the day if they keep him they will not overpay.   They will waive him and resign him.  It's a business.

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2013, 05:29:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

At the end of the day if they keep him they will not overpay.   They will waive him and resign him.  It's a business.
At the end of the day if he's waived I expect Pierce to sign a FA contract elsewhere.

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2013, 05:34:08 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Deal Pierce for Pau!

Gasol and KG in the front court would be nasty!

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2013, 08:38:27 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Deal Pierce for Pau!

Gonna make next year's finals something to watch.

It does happen to be a deal that would help both teams, but gosh is it gross.

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2013, 05:01:07 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
My only question is can this team change its offense if Pierce is back.  KG could, I think, adjust to a faster and more fluid approach that emphasized pushing the tempo and moving the ball. But while Pierce has never been a true ball hog like Kobe or Carmello, I can't imagine Pierce being happy playing a much smaller offensive role and I can't see Doc ever pushing him to accept it.

Mike

« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2013, 06:19:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

[/quote]
Yeah, I'd be quite curious whether the Thunder with a healthy Westbrook will finally be able to knock down the Heat.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2013, 06:29:41 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Yeah, I'd be quite curious whether the Thunder with a healthy Westbrook will finally be able to knock down the Heat.
[/quote]

Green/KG/Gasol would be the best front line we've had since...you know when.

And Rondo is the best PG we've had since...I don't even know, but I'm going all the way back before Tiny to JoJo White at least.

All-NBA defense in Bradley.

Fair to say that we could have the best team in quite a while, possibly better than '08 if we had a shooter for a shooting guard.

Sully, Bass, Williams, Shav, and Lee off the bench.

I'll take that group against anyone.

« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2013, 11:45:24 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
Pierce is either gonna get traded, or is gonna be back with the team. The Celtics would be in a much better situation cap-wise riding out the year and letting him expire next year, rather than buying him out this year. Is getting under the tax floor, and gaining back the MLE for one year that important? The direction the Celtics would have to take if they were to dump Pierce would be a team struggling to make the playoffs. I'm sure Playoff revenue for that one extra year offsets the one extra year over the tax apron.

I bet this is Ainge's course of action this summer:

1) Looks for significant trade pieces for Paul Pierce that will both give us potential players for the future, and also draft picks without giving up good cap space position for the future.

2a) if Pierce gets traded, KG looks to be dealt as well or retire's.
2b) Pierce doesnt get traded, stays with the Celtics, KG comes back.

3) Look to deal anyone and everyone that could possibly make a contending team for this year. Either shedding salary, or getting players back. His semi-untouchables: Rondo, and Sully only go in a deal that blows him away.

4) Fill out the roster. Whether Pierce is here or not, if Ainge doesnt shed any of his other salary off this team, there is barely anything he can do with their current cap situation.

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2013, 06:30:15 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
DA will do the same, try to get value for Pierce. But he's asking too much for other teams to accept (for example Barnes + expiring Biedrins or Jefferson).
So I think he won't find the trade he likes and Pierce will stay this year.
Meanwhile he has to find additional players that will make KG satisfied.
I think DA will have his toughest summer so far. I wouldn't like to be him right now. Anything he will do or not do won't please half of the fans. The cap situation is not good at all.