Author Topic: Report: Pierce expects to be traded or released  (Read 8090 times)

Re: Report: Pierce expects to be traded or released
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 06:39:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
On this one, I trust Dickerson less than CROTOR.

"The company that [Pierce] hangs around in", really? Not only do I marvel how any reputable journalist would even consider putting this out there, but the repackage it weeks after the fact... meh.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 06:40:51 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
What about a S&T for Pekovic?  Is something like that possible?  If we could get him and Andre Miller I would be so happy.  I don't think we're beating the Heat without some major changes that are not likely until 2015, so a Rondo stop gap and a long term Center would be really awesome. 

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 07:17:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The decision on whether or not to waive Pierce and save $10 million plus luxury tax (which would put the Celtics in line to have to pay the repeater tax in the future) has to be made before the July moratorium, thus before a sign-and-trade can be negotiated.

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 08:09:28 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Ainge has also recently said that if Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett are a team's 2nd and 3rd best players, or 3rd and 4th best players, that it's a "really, really special" team.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/05/12/this-summer-may-danny-ainge-most-critical-with-celtics/ydUo8geFXRarAu6THDgMpM/story.html

By those comments, it sounds like Ainge is also fine with running it back one more year.

I don't see it as writing on the wall, so much as whispers in the wind. And the voices aren't all saying the same thing.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 10:34:45 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
We can waive Pierce, pay him the $5M (it counts against cap) then structure the $10M he'd make over the next 2/3 years. Let's say it's $3M this year and $3.3M and $3.6M for the next 2 years with player options. That means it's $8M against the cap this year which saves us $7.2M while keeping the team together.

The way you sell this to PP is that he can make his last 2-3 years as a Celtics more competitive while guaranteeing that he retires a Celtic through a no-trade clause. I don't see why he wouldn't do this. If it's a money thing then I don't begrudge Ainge cutting or trading him in the off-season.

Ainge has also recently said that if Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett are a team's 2nd and 3rd best players, or 3rd and 4th best players, that it's a "really, really special" team.

I could not agree more. Having 4-6 players that are all good to great players is how we'll beat the Heat next year. Hopefully the Grizzlies do it this year :) Especially if we get a reasonably  good center in the draft. Gobert, Dieng or even a FA big who can eat up minutes without blowing a lead.

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 10:37:38 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/05/12/this-summer-may-danny-ainge-most-critical-with-celtics/ydUo8geFXRarAu6THDgMpM/story.html

By those comments, it sounds like Ainge is also fine with running it back one more year.

I don't see it as writing on the wall, so much as whispers in the wind. And the voices aren't all saying the same thing.

Green and Rondo?

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 10:42:16 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Green and Rondo?

Presumably.  Clearly Rondo, since PP and KG would agree with that.  And the way Green played the last 1/4 of the season, he's certainly at least on the cusp of surpassing Pierce.

It would be even better of they were the 4th and 5th best players, however.

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 10:51:10 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Green and Rondo?

Presumably.  Clearly Rondo, since PP and KG would agree with that.  And the way Green played the last 1/4 of the season, he's certainly at least on the cusp of surpassing Pierce.

It would be even better of they were the 4th and 5th best players, however.

Sully?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 11:17:04 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't see any reason to doubt that Pierce feels this way or that people in his personal circle (his agent, likely) feel this way.  The question is: how good is Paul Pierce at figuring out what Danny Ainge is thinking?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 11:22:15 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
If only we'd gotten David west.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 11:36:53 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Proof. Proof. Proof.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 11:38:28 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Is it possible to skip this complicated waiver-free agency-re-sign route by sitting down with Pierce to agree what part of the unguaranteed 10.3 million portion of his salary he can do without for the team?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 11:47:43 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I am skeptical at best that Pierce would announce this on his facebook page, not his facebook fan page but his "personal" facebook page. This page is most assuredly not run by Paul Pierce or anyone who knows him.

https://www.facebook.com/paul.pierce.35325074 judge for yourself though. I wish facebook was verified like twitter.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 11:53:36 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Is it possible to skip this complicated waiver-free agency-re-sign route by sitting down with Pierce to agree what part of the unguaranteed 10.3 million portion of his salary he can do without for the team?

Unfortunately, no.

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 11:58:37 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I am skeptical at best that Pierce would announce this on his facebook page, not his facebook fan page but his "personal" facebook page. This page is most assuredly not run by Paul Pierce or anyone who knows him.

https://www.facebook.com/paul.pierce.35325074 judge for yourself though. I wish facebook was verified like twitter.

It's a fake (see last post from this thread) http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=64905.0