Author Topic: Leave your emotion and bring logic. What can the C's really do this summer?  (Read 6413 times)

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think Garnett and Pierce can still continue, but playing fewer minutes, they need more help.

- Big Al Jefferson: Free agent, I've said for a long time, Big Al has to return to Boston, he is the best center in the league right now.

- Especially Ainge should strengthen the roster, Bass should be traded, he zero rebounds and not play back, but is a good player with a solid shot.

- Bradley can not do more, is a limited and defensive player, that's his role and nothing else.

In short, I do not know if KG will retire, or Pierce, but they can still play at a high level if you build a good team and a signature of a free agent.
If Pierce and KG keep playing we won't have the assets (cap space) to sign a player like Big Al to improve the team.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Watch KG and Pierce retire.

Trade Terry, Green, and Bradley for picks

Suck eggs next year and try to get Wiggins or Parker.

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Rondo,Green and Sully are the ones you need to keep unless you're getting a heck of a deal out of it. They would be a nice core to build around.

AB is a nice player, and maybe he will get better, but he's bot a starting SG right now. Hes a guy you bring off the bench and lock down the D for the bench.

Lee has been up and down. I would be okay with him as a starter if he can get his jump shot to fall more often.

If PP and KG wants to make one more go at it with a healthy team(people seem to forget we don't have Rondo and Sully who was starting to make a deference) but bring in an other body to help.

I think Lee,Bass,Melo,Crawford in any combination  would a good sign and trade with Atlanta for Smith if he asks them to send him to Boston. Its not impossible, Nash did it in the LA trade. This way Atlanta gets some talent back that is actually decent.

I think the 16th pick could be helpful even in a bad draft to get some talent along with moving some players.

I'd like to keep Randolph him and Williams show they can play, just need the summer to get the system down, then we would have the back up PG and C.

Wilcox and Green get a full summer to work on their game instead of working on getting healthy.

Barbarossa should come back, maybe by Dec,Feb, I trust him more than Crawford.

I'd like to see if they could get Kover over here. Some thing the C's are missing is the lights out spot up shooter with size. Every thinks they can shoot, but when I trust Green shooting the three more than every one else its time to start looking.

Its hard to say not know what KG and PP will do and how much money we actually do have to spend with out them here. One thing is, trades will have to be made to get things moving forward.

Offline anthony83

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
I think Garnett and Pierce can still continue, but playing fewer minutes, they need more help.

- Big Al Jefferson: Free agent, I've said for a long time, Big Al has to return to Boston, he is the best center in the league right now.

- Especially Ainge should strengthen the roster, Bass should be traded, he zero rebounds and not play back, but is a good player with a solid shot.

- Bradley can not do more, is a limited and defensive player, that's his role and nothing else.

In short, I do not know if KG will retire, or Pierce, but they can still play at a high level if you build a good team and a signature of a free agent.
If Pierce and KG keep playing we won't have the assets (cap space) to sign a player like Big Al to improve the team.

True, but very poorly planned Ainge this roster, I do not understand, Chris Andersen (he is playing at a high level now), K-Martin (same), please we're doing

See what happens, because things are not clear, there are two possible scenarios:

- Rondo + Pierce + KG + Green and make a good team, a good roster, obviously you can not sign any top FA ... and seen to be done with players like Bass, Lee ....

- KG and Pierce retire and rebuild from zero FA signing any top, ex Josh Smith

- Avery Bradley: I have many doubts about this player, as good a defender he is and has been unable to Felton in the entire series. In addition, load faults soon and this is a big problem.

Twitter: @Theanswer83

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
It will be vital we end up in the lottery next year. The 2014 draft will be loaded with talent, the same kind of level as 2003. So having a top five pick will be paramount.

To do this we need to trade or amnesty both Pierce and KG. Pierce is not worth the 15 million or so we would have to pay him if he stays in Boston. This is a shame but true. I certainly say we work with him to send him somewhere he feels his chances of winning are strong but he must be moved. KG may retire. He is clearly hurting so the possibility he might hang it up exists. If he does, amnesty him and then hire him as a coach if he wants. He would be great as an assistant. If he wants to play work with him to deal him. Again to a team that has a chance to win. I know this may be a shock but a deal of KG for Perkins, filler and the Thunder's lottery pick this year works. It certainly makes the Thunder a title contender and helps both teams financially. We also get a pick to start rebuilding. No matter what, Pierce and KG have to go.

Try to move Jason Terry. Sadly Terry has been the worst offseason move since we traded for Vin Baker. On the plus side he is not really expensive and could help a team that is close get over the hump. The Lakers, Clippers, Indiana, San Antonio should all be called. We should be fine getting junk back. We just need him out of here.

Hold Bass till the deadline. Start either Bass or Sullinger. Whoever wins the starting job out of camp and the other can come off the bench. Look to move Bass to a contender at the deadline.

Let Green be the starting small forward. Period. Let's see what he can do when he is not looking over his shoulder.

Hope that Danny picks well at 16 this year. Danny has missed on eight of his last ten picks in the draft. I am worried but let's hope. Pick well at 16 then actually play the guy. We are in rebuild mode.

Play Melo to see what we have there. Let him sink or swim.

Basically the starting line up should be at this point: Rondo if he is back, Bradley or perhaps if we draft a legit shooting guard in the draft this year, Green, Sully or Bass and Melo or another retread.

I know that sounds grim but we are looking to be awful next year while evaluating talent. The best way to turn around a team not in New York, L.A. or Miami is through the draft. We have to do the same. It is critical we end up with at least a top five pick. Top three even better. That would leave us going into 2014 with a good pick and being under the cap for the first time in ages. Allowing a fresh start for the team. It will be grim next year but it is the logical way to get better again.

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Trade Rondo to Houston for Asik + Draft Picks, trade Pierce to Clippers for Bledsoe/Filler, Let KG retire. Leaves you with Bledsoe, Bradley, Green, Sully, Asik as a young-ish core. Try to offload Bass/Terry contracts.

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Rondo,Green and Sully are the ones you need to keep

Green and Sully are not on Rondo's level. 

Rondo the Celtics should keep.  He has the high skill level.  His trade value never seems to match his on the court contributions (specifically in big games)  He plays a position where there are a lot of 'good' options already on teams.

I think Green it the player that should be shopped to see if they can get another big man or number 1 scoring option.  Those are bigger needs then Green who fits nicely as the 4th starter on a good team. 

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Rondo,Green and Sully are the ones you need to keep unless you're getting a heck of a deal out of it. They would be a nice core to build around.

AB is a nice player, and maybe he will get better, but he's bot a starting SG right now. Hes a guy you bring off the bench and lock down the D for the bench.

Lee has been up and down. I would be okay with him as a starter if he can get his jump shot to fall more often.

If PP and KG wants to make one more go at it with a healthy team(people seem to forget we don't have Rondo and Sully who was starting to make a deference) but bring in an other body to help.

I think Lee,Bass,Melo,Crawford in any combination  would a good sign and trade with Atlanta for Smith if he asks them to send him to Boston. Its not impossible, Nash did it in the LA trade. This way Atlanta gets some talent back that is actually decent.

I think the 16th pick could be helpful even in a bad draft to get some talent along with moving some players.

I'd like to keep Randolph him and Williams show they can play, just need the summer to get the system down, then we would have the back up PG and C.

Wilcox and Green get a full summer to work on their game instead of working on getting healthy.

Barbarossa should come back, maybe by Dec,Feb, I trust him more than Crawford.

I'd like to see if they could get Kover over here. Some thing the C's are missing is the lights out spot up shooter with size. Every thinks they can shoot, but when I trust Green shooting the three more than every one else its time to start looking.

Its hard to say not know what KG and PP will do and how much money we actually do have to spend with out them here. One thing is, trades will have to be made to get things moving forward.
**** if you think that packages gets us smith.  A that point, atl let's him walk for nothing as that woud be a much better option.

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32

Even if PP and KG came off the books, we still probably wouldn't have enough to sign him due to Jason Terry and Bass's contracts. We're pretty much right at the cap with KG and PP gone.

Online perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 229
1. I don't see Pierce or Garnett retiring. They'll give it another go round next year with Rondo. No way they end their careers getting swept by the Knicks in the 1st round.

2. Draft Giannis Adetokunbo

3. If Orlando get Nerlens Noel in the draft they may look to move Vucevic who had a great year and clearly fills a need for the Celts. Vucevic plus Al Harrington for Jeff Green is something that could be considered.

4. Amnesty Terry or see if you can get an expiring for him.

5. Trade Bass and Crawford for Wilson Chandler.

6. Sign Leandro Barbosa & Peaches.

2013-14 ROSTER

RONDO/ BARBOSA/ WILLIAMS
BRADLEY/ LEE/ PIETRUS
PIERCE/ CHANDLER/ ADETOKUNBO
GARNETT/ HARRINGTON/ WHITE
VUCEVIC/ SULLINGER/ RANDOLPH

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
This is why I'm not a GM in the NBA but here's what I will do.

Bass, Lee and Jet will have value for contenders, I will try to trade them for even just a second rounder and/or some cash and low salary players. Someone, SOMEONE out there would take them for that little value. At this point we cant trade for even value anymore, but we can still dump some salaries if we do for a cheaper return. And we'll still have quality bench mob after we trade all of them.

If we are successful and we get picks for them, that's a $16 million slash of the cap, at worse it will be a $10 million reduction if we get some players back.

That's a start. Then it's a matter of drafting good (maybe draft big, draft Whitey or draft the BPA, or Jamal Franklin then draft Siva in the 2nd as ROndo's backup) and signing good (my boy Jason Smith, maybe go for OJ Mayo, Jerryd Bayless, Mosgov, Biedrins can still contribute).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 01:04:48 PM by Yoki_IsTheName »
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Do nothing.  Get ahead. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
It will be vital we end up in the lottery next year. The 2014 draft will be loaded with talent, the same kind of level as 2003. So having a top five pick will be paramount.

To do this we need to trade or amnesty both Pierce and KG. Pierce is not worth the 15 million or so we would have to pay him if he stays in Boston. This is a shame but true. I certainly say we work with him to send him somewhere he feels his chances of winning are strong but he must be moved. KG may retire. He is clearly hurting so the possibility he might hang it up exists. If he does, amnesty him and then hire him as a coach if he wants. He would be great as an assistant. If he wants to play work with him to deal him. Again to a team that has a chance to win. I know this may be a shock but a deal of KG for Perkins, filler and the Thunder's lottery pick this year works. It certainly makes the Thunder a title contender and helps both teams financially. We also get a pick to start rebuilding. No matter what, Pierce and KG have to go.

Try to move Jason Terry. Sadly Terry has been the worst offseason move since we traded for Vin Baker. On the plus side he is not really expensive and could help a team that is close get over the hump. The Lakers, Clippers, Indiana, San Antonio should all be called. We should be fine getting junk back. We just need him out of here.

Hold Bass till the deadline. Start either Bass or Sullinger. Whoever wins the starting job out of camp and the other can come off the bench. Look to move Bass to a contender at the deadline.

Let Green be the starting small forward. Period. Let's see what he can do when he is not looking over his shoulder.

Hope that Danny picks well at 16 this year. Danny has missed on eight of his last ten picks in the draft. I am worried but let's hope. Pick well at 16 then actually play the guy. We are in rebuild mode.

Play Melo to see what we have there. Let him sink or swim.

Basically the starting line up should be at this point: Rondo if he is back, Bradley or perhaps if we draft a legit shooting guard in the draft this year, Green, Sully or Bass and Melo or another retread.

I know that sounds grim but we are looking to be awful next year while evaluating talent. The best way to turn around a team not in New York, L.A. or Miami is through the draft. We have to do the same. It is critical we end up with at least a top five pick. Top three even better. That would leave us going into 2014 with a good pick and being under the cap for the first time in ages. Allowing a fresh start for the team. It will be grim next year but it is the logical way to get better again.

move bass ASAP...for the new guy to learn our system right away

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
1. Watch KG retire
2. If Pierce still wants to play move him, if not amnesty him so that the guaranteed money doesn't count against the cap.
3. Attempt to trade Bass Terry and Lee

Three is probably the most important. If 1 and 2 happen but not 3 we will be left without a legitimate way to replace Pierce and KG through free agency. If that is the case you can expect us to be a fringe playoff team/not make the playoffs (which might not be the worst long term with how stacked the 2014 draft is).

If we are able to clear space by moving Bass and/or Terry then we probably could go after Josh Smith and another good player like Pekovic.

If we only have the money to sign Smith it might not be the best move. Bringing in J Smoove to replace KG and Pierce would probably ensure us a lot of 7th seeds in the playoffs and not much improvement long term.

Even if we did trade Bass/Lee/Terry we wouldn't be able to do it without bringing back salaries in return.

This is true.  We could, however, get contracts that would be due to expire at the end of next season, and have a boat load of cap space for the 2014 season.  Terry is the only one I'm not sure we could get expiring contracts for.  we might have to hope he just agrees to retire at the end of next season.  Even still, with Pierce, KG, Bass and Lee off the books we'd have over $20m in cap space.

I've always felt this was Danny's plan.  Hope that we can get two more good seasons out of KG/Pierce, but be set to have plenty of room to rebuild through trades and FA signings in 2014.

I'd be willing to bet my life savings Danny is going to do everything he can to avoid having to rebuild through the draft.  Rebuilding through the draft is risky, and would be a waste of Rondo's prime.