Author Topic: Leave your emotion and bring logic. What can the C's really do this summer?  (Read 6410 times)

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
To my understanding they are essentially capped out so free agent splash is not happening. KG and PP WILL come back, so operating under that premise, what can they do to improve this roster? I'm talking from a player perspective so leave out the comments of "fire Doc" or "fire Danny". I don't believe they're blowing it up either and I don't really want to see KG or PP traded at this point because they will not bring back what they leave IMO.

I believe they have the 16th pick or somewhere around there. Is this a somewhat attractive piece if paired with somebody? I think, no, I know a guard will be moved this summer but who? I think Lee, Crawford, and Bradley are all candidates. Sadly, I wish the JET could be included in there but you couldn't pay somebody to take him.

So knowing Danny, he's not sitting still. What can the C's realistically do this summer?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
we need Danny to pull off a miracle or two trade.  .......something that can restart the Celtics as a contender  again.

I still think. DMC. ...is one of the most logical franchise bigs th Zc's have any chance to obtain.

gonna need a serious big , or its back to bottom of the barrel

maybe sideshow bob is obtainable. .....he would go along way to helping KG if he returns.

we have lots of average players,  need some star power.

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Going to be VERY difficult to improve, given that Danny struck out when he rebuild this roster last summer.

He has one asset to trade - Rondo - and the reaction around here would be priceless if it happened.

He can hope that Pierce and Garnett retire.

Beyond that, though, what has value? Terry? Lee? Bass?

The answer - realistic answer - to that is pretty sobering. We have little or nothing of value on this roster to another club.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 09:54:19 AM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

If KG is going to retire Danny should try and use him in a sign and trade before that happens. Would a team losing a Josh Smith or an Al Jefferson for nothing trade them for KG (who would immediately come off the books), a draft pick or two and possibly filler?

If KG's going to come back we should look at bringing in another big, either with the MLE or trying to trade something like Bass and Lee or Bradley.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
1. Watch KG retire
2. If Pierce still wants to play move him, if not amnesty him so that the guaranteed money doesn't count against the cap.
3. Attempt to trade Bass Terry and Lee

Three is probably the most important. If 1 and 2 happen but not 3 we will be left without a legitimate way to replace Pierce and KG through free agency. If that is the case you can expect us to be a fringe playoff team/not make the playoffs (which might not be the worst long term with how stacked the 2014 draft is).

If we are able to clear space by moving Bass and/or Terry then we probably could go after Josh Smith and another good player like Pekovic.

If we only have the money to sign Smith it might not be the best move. Bringing in J Smoove to replace KG and Pierce would probably ensure us a lot of 7th seeds in the playoffs and not much improvement long term.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2405
Overpay for Josh Smith

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
1. Watch KG retire
2. If Pierce still wants to play move him, if not amnesty him so that the guaranteed money doesn't count against the cap.

Three is probably the most important. If 1 and 2 happen but not 3 we will be left without a legitimate way to replace Pierce and KG through free agency. If that is the case you can expect us to be a fringe playoff team/not make the playoffs (which might not be the worst long term with how stacked the 2014 draft is).

If we are able to clear space by moving Bass and/or Terry then we probably could go after Josh Smith and another good player like Pekovic.

If we only have the money to sign Smith it might not be the best move. Bringing in J Smoove to replace KG and Pierce would probably ensure us a lot of 7th seeds in the playoffs and not much improvement long term.

Even if we did trade Bass/Lee/Terry we wouldn't be able to do it without bringing back salaries in return.

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Heal their injuries and practice their shots.

We'll see.

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Going to be VERY difficult to improve, given that Danny struck out when he rebuild this roster last summer.

He has one asset to trade - Rondo - and the reaction around here would be priceless if it happened.

He can hope that Pierce and Garnett retire.

Beyond that, though, what has value? Terry? Lee? Bass?

The answer - realistic answer - to that is pretty sobering. We have little or nothing of value on this roster to another club.

What about a package of:  Green, Bradley, #16
?

Seems like some good young assets right there, and Jeff has to be intriguing after seeing Harden blossom from his 6th man role. What would it take to nab Kevin Love?
He and Rondo would thrive together, solve both our 3pt shooting & rebounding woes

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Bass + Terry for McGee

McGee is vastly overpaid, but he is probably better than Bass + Terry.  Denver shaves long term salary and gets some quality for its bench. 

Then trade Lee to Memphis for Tony Allen in a sign and trade (or possibly just for the trade exception which could be used elsewhere).

I'd also explore Jeff Green for Anderson Varejao.  I think Cleveland might do it and Andy would fit in with the rest of the team.

So the team would be
Guards - Rondo, Bradley, Allen, Barbosa
Wings - Pierce, Allen
Bigs - Garnett, McGee, Varejao, Sullinger, Melo

Not exactly a great team, but definitely an improved team especially down low.  That said, I don't see the point.  If Boston isn't going to make a big splash, then it should go into full bore rebuilding.  There is no reason not to at this point.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
1. Watch KG retire

Even if we did trade Bass/Lee/Terry we wouldn't be able to do it without bringing back salaries in return.
We could trade Bass and Terry to teams under the cap and take back no salary in return.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
1. Watch KG retire

We could trade Bass and Terry to teams under the cap and take back no salary in return.

I'd wonder how many such teams exist, and whether those players are what they'd be looking for.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
1. Watch KG retire

I'd wonder how many such teams exist, and whether those players are what they'd be looking for.

That is certainly the question. If we are not able to move these guys, I expect us to essentially stay pat and not be very good next year.

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
I know you don't want to say "Fire Doc" but I have to...

1. Rondo and Sullinger will make them better.
2. They have quality chips to play with.
3. I like how Danny drafts.

It doesn't look bad, but I am sorry, I don't think Doc is
a good coach.

Offline anthony83

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
I think Garnett and Pierce can still continue, but playing fewer minutes, they need more help.

- Big Al Jefferson: Free agent, I've said for a long time, Big Al has to return to Boston, he is the best center in the league right now.

- Especially Ainge should strengthen the roster, Bass should be traded, he zero rebounds and not play back, but is a good player with a solid shot.

- Bradley can not do more, is a limited and defensive player, that's his role and nothing else.

In short, I do not know if KG will retire, or Pierce, but they can still play at a high level if you build a good team and a signature of a free agent.

Twitter: @Theanswer83