Author Topic: Paul Pierce a nobody, says Alec Burks (Jazz #10)  (Read 11733 times)

Re: Paul Pierce a nobody, says Alec Burks (Jazz #10)
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2013, 04:33:54 PM »

Offline FreeGreen

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 19
The title to this thread is letter perfect.  :)

He should make that his catch phrase.

In a few years he can be saying "Yi Jianlian, He’s nobody to me, you know? He made some shots. Everybody make shots, you know? It’s just he got a bigger name than everybody else."

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2013, 04:37:33 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Considering that Pierce just made three very difficult shots to dispatch his team in OT, Burks could have gone with "Pierce has been a great player in this league for a long time.  I work hard every day to be able to close out games like that some day."

Instead he went with the "nobody" route.  Ironic coming from an NBA nobody whose team just got schooled by a Hall of Famer on their own court. 

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2013, 04:44:35 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Honestly, who cares? When Iverson was a rookie, no less, he had the following dialogue with Jordan:

"He sure has some confidence," said Jordan, who led the Bulls with 31 points. "At one point, I mentioned to him that he was going to have to respect us. If you don't respect anybody else in this league, you have to respect us. He said he doesn't have to respect anybody."

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2013, 04:48:18 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Well that's awkward, I didn't know who Pierce was for a while.

He was kind of a big deal in the early 2000's from what I remember. Are you a new fan?

I'm in my mid-teens, so yes, very new. Only started watching during 2010 playoffs vs. Heat, and the rest is history!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2013, 04:53:20 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Well that's awkward, I didn't know who Pierce was for a while.

He was kind of a big deal in the early 2000's from what I remember. Are you a new fan?

I'm in my mid-teens, so yes, very new. Only started watching during 2010 playoffs vs. Heat, and the rest is history!

Lol. You're making me feel old, and I'm not even that old yet... Haha.

Remind me to not take your comments seriously next time. Young Blood. haha

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2013, 04:58:30 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

It sounds like Burks said more than he actually did.  And I still, after watching the game and reading three pages of comments, don't know who he is.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2013, 05:01:19 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
a nobody calling a 10 time all star and finals MVP a nobody. lol

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2013, 05:15:24 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

It sounds like Burks said more than he actually did.  And I still, after watching the game and reading three pages of comments, don't know who he is.

Well, you obviously weren't watching the end of the fourth quarter, when he hit the game-tying shot?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2013, 05:41:48 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Paul Pierce is a God of basketball, top 5 SF of all time, believe it
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2013, 06:12:05 PM »

Offline CelticnLA

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 10
What Burks said was a bit on the disrespectful side to the Truth, but to look at it from another perspective, this is a young kid trying to establish a name and place for himself in this league. Also Burks was trying to answer a somewhat silly question after a tough loss at home..worse things have been said in similar circumstances. If I’m in that locker room I would have more of a problem with Big Al, a couple of lockers down from Burks, practically admitting his man crush on Pierce. Burks is not a bad player and was a decent character kid in college, he will find a way to play (off of someone’s bench) for a number of years in this league, he is athletic, can shoot the three and has an above average iq. Let’s not forget that incredible layup he converted off the broken play (pass that Hayward shoveled to him, after he made a great cut as Bradley got momentarily distracted watching the play). Also ask Doc if he believes Burks is a nobody…if so why was Bradley defending him? Say what you will about Doc but since the Atlanta debacle (Korver torching Pierce in the 3rd period) he has assigned Bradley to shutdown any opposing wing threats.

The problem with the younger generation of players respecting The Truth’s place among the game’s greats is that his game is for the most part not all of that attractive outside New England residents and Celtic fans. Among  his contemporaries (i.e. Bryant, James, McGrady, Wade, Carter, Anthony, Durant etc.)  The Truth’s game is the least emulated by younger generations on the playground. In the 40 and over leagues its probably the exact opposite, but the reason is Pierce does more with seemingly less physical tools than any of the notable wings of his generation. Young kids (like Burks) don’t see the footwork that allows Pierce to get create separation to get his shot off, the subtle head and ball fake to get a defender off his feet, the court vision and patience to wait until a player gets to ‘his spot’ to receive a pass, or the brute strength and will to drive pass a stronger defender and convert a layup.

It’s a how high can you jump, how fast can you run type of generation and The Truth unfortunately doesn’t always translate to good tv for many…I happen to disagree big time of course.
"Young man, you have the question backwards."

-- Bill Russell, after a reporter asked him how he would have fared against Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2013, 06:13:23 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
A top notch trash talk quote in a bottom notch scenario.

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2013, 07:06:10 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think it is the same attitude that Kendrick Perkins took after getting "posterized" by Blake Griffin.  When asked about it, Perk said, "It happens...you're going to get dunked on."  Burks is saying that players make shots and you're going to get scored on sometimes, so he's not going to treat Pierce as anything special when he goes off on a given night.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2013, 07:10:45 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
What Burks said was a bit on the disrespectful side to the Truth, but to look at it from another perspective, this is a young kid trying to establish a name and place for himself in this league. Also Burks was trying to answer a somewhat silly question after a tough loss at home..worse things have been said in similar circumstances. If I’m in that locker room I would have more of a problem with Big Al, a couple of lockers down from Burks, practically admitting his man crush on Pierce. Burks is not a bad player and was a decent character kid in college, he will find a way to play (off of someone’s bench) for a number of years in this league, he is athletic, can shoot the three and has an above average iq. Let’s not forget that incredible layup he converted off the broken play (pass that Hayward shoveled to him, after he made a great cut as Bradley got momentarily distracted watching the play). Also ask Doc if he believes Burks is a nobody…if so why was Bradley defending him? Say what you will about Doc but since the Atlanta debacle (Korver torching Pierce in the 3rd period) he has assigned Bradley to shutdown any opposing wing threats.

The problem with the younger generation of players respecting The Truth’s place among the game’s greats is that his game is for the most part not all of that attractive outside New England residents and Celtic fans. Among  his contemporaries (i.e. Bryant, James, McGrady, Wade, Carter, Anthony, Durant etc.)  The Truth’s game is the least emulated by younger generations on the playground. In the 40 and over leagues its probably the exact opposite, but the reason is Pierce does more with seemingly less physical tools than any of the notable wings of his generation. Young kids (like Burks) don’t see the footwork that allows Pierce to get create separation to get his shot off, the subtle head and ball fake to get a defender off his feet, the court vision and patience to wait until a player gets to ‘his spot’ to receive a pass, or the brute strength and will to drive pass a stronger defender and convert a layup.

It’s a how high can you jump, how fast can you run type of generation and The Truth unfortunately doesn’t always translate to good tv for many…I happen to disagree big time of course.

Very nicely worded. TP
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2013, 07:16:31 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584

Well, you obviously weren't watching the end of the fourth quarter, when he hit the game-tying shot?
I guess not...I will blame the chat room, passing the buck along..... 8)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2013, 07:25:02 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I like confidence and brashness in a young player, and that kid from the Jazz has a right to speak his mind.

He's definitely assured himself a place on my "bleep" list with those comments, though.  That is, if he ever has enough of a career to warrant me thinking about him at all. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson