Author Topic: Folks are forgetting what its like when Avery Bradley is on the floor  (Read 14420 times)

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I've been seeing a lot of threads recently with different trade ideas involving Avery (mostly targeting Josh Smith). Now theres a pattern in sports where a player will get injured, and because he is no longer on tv everday, people forget what they bring to the table. I can already see it happening with Derrick Rose if you follow sports sites such as Bleacher Report.

I just want to remind everybody that when Avery was in our starting lineup last year, we were without a doubt the best team in basketball, offensively and defensively. The offensive part is really important to note because before Avery we were towards the bottom of the league.

So next time you think about who you would trade if you were GM, just remember the type of player Avery is and how much he changes the dynamics of this team. I know I remember and I know he is gonna come back and make yall remember too.

Re: Folks are forgetting what its like when Avery Bradley is on the floor
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 05:09:03 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I agree with this 110%

Avery Bradley reminds me of KG in the way he dominates games on the defensive end of the floor...much the same way as Rondo dominates games with his playmaking.

When Bradley goes out there and applies pressure on the opposing PG, after about 5 minutes you can see the other guys lose confidence.  They start losing trust in themselves and look almost afraid to touch the ball because they don't want to have to draw his attention.  When you have a guy who get get into an opponents head like it's a game changer. 

When KG was in (or near) his prime, no player in the league ever wanted to face him.  Bradley has that same mental effect - people are practically scared to play against this guy, and he's still only 22 years old.

KG has three years left on this contract and probably in his career.  Once he's gone Bradley is the most likely candidate to replace him as leader and focal point of our defense. As long as we have Rondo and Bradley our backcourt is going to dominate their matchup almost ever single night.

Plus another thing that many people are quick to forget is that like Rondo, this guy is a warrior.  Rondo played half a playoff series on one arm, and Bradley played through almost the entire playoffs on two dislocated shoulders - all because of their desire to compete and to win. Attitude like that is rare today in a league that's dominated by prima-donnas like Bosh and LBJ who cry if you touch them.

I would be absolutely crushed if we traded Bradley out right now, pretty much regadless of who we get.  Bradley was something like a +12 in the playoffs last season, which is absolutely unheard of.  If you want another guy to give you that type of point differential you're looking at a top tier superstar in the mould of Lebron or Durant, and both of those guys are well and truly off the market.

TP to you for showing Avery the respect he deserves!  :D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:15:15 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 06:06:08 AM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
So very true. Bradley's "a weapon" as Tommy puts it, and a Celtic.

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 08:57:13 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I don't think people are forgetting. I think we we have a ton of strong depth at Averys position and I think he is our biggest trade chip out of those guys. I also think in his very short career he's had 3 injuries which required surgery and have kept in out for long periods of time. Also the fact that he didn't even play half a good season of basketball will lead people to believe maybe, if his value is high to other Gms it wouldn't be crazy to see what you can get.

It works both ways. If im selling him to a GM I talk about his all world defense if im trying to convince myself to try and upgrade the roster I say he has had several injuries and has only strung together 1/4 of a good season.

There's really a risk either way. There's as much evidence to project him as a bust as there is to project him as an all star.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 09:30:15 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I must admit that I forgot all about Bradley!  I was horrified at the blow out game the other night, not thinking about what Bradley might mean to this team on defense.

Sorry Avery for forgetting you.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 03:26:25 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
I don't think people are forgetting. I think we we have a ton of strong depth at Averys position and I think he is our biggest trade chip out of those guys. I also think in his very short career he's had 3 injuries which required surgery and have kept in out for long periods of time. Also the fact that he didn't even play half a good season of basketball will lead people to believe maybe, if his value is high to other Gms it wouldn't be crazy to see what you can get.

It works both ways. If im selling him to a GM I talk about his all world defense if im trying to convince myself to try and upgrade the roster I say he has had several injuries and has only strung together 1/4 of a good season.

There's really a risk either way. There's as much evidence to project him as a bust as there is to project him as an all star.
The same doubt was being thrown Avery's way all over this board at the beginning of last season and he thoroughly proved everybody wrong.

"There's as much evidence to project him as a bust as there is to project him as an all star."- In what way shape or form is this true? He is a young talented player who came into his own as he was expected to since high school. There is no reason or evidence to expect Avery Bradley to bust but, based on his performance the majority of last season, a lot of evidence that he will continue to succeed.

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 03:27:37 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
I agree with this 110%

Avery Bradley reminds me of KG in the way he dominates games on the defensive end of the floor...much the same way as Rondo dominates games with his playmaking.

When Bradley goes out there and applies pressure on the opposing PG, after about 5 minutes you can see the other guys lose confidence.  They start losing trust in themselves and look almost afraid to touch the ball because they don't want to have to draw his attention.  When you have a guy who get get into an opponents head like it's a game changer. 

When KG was in (or near) his prime, no player in the league ever wanted to face him.  Bradley has that same mental effect - people are practically scared to play against this guy, and he's still only 22 years old.

KG has three years left on this contract and probably in his career.  Once he's gone Bradley is the most likely candidate to replace him as leader and focal point of our defense. As long as we have Rondo and Bradley our backcourt is going to dominate their matchup almost ever single night.

Plus another thing that many people are quick to forget is that like Rondo, this guy is a warrior.  Rondo played half a playoff series on one arm, and Bradley played through almost the entire playoffs on two dislocated shoulders - all because of their desire to compete and to win. Attitude like that is rare today in a league that's dominated by prima-donnas like Bosh and LBJ who cry if you touch them.

I would be absolutely crushed if we traded Bradley out right now, pretty much regadless of who we get.  Bradley was something like a +12 in the playoffs last season, which is absolutely unheard of.  If you want another guy to give you that type of point differential you're looking at a top tier superstar in the mould of Lebron or Durant, and both of those guys are well and truly off the market.

TP to you for showing Avery the respect he deserves!  :D
Your so right, I love Avery.

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 03:40:52 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I've not seen any of this "bust" evidence.

Bradley is guaranteed to be an elite defensive player - people don't forget how to play defense overnight.

Bradley's offensive game is unproven.  Last year he was solid but some people fear pray have been a fluke given the small sample Size - I don't think that's the case, bit its a fair.concern to have.

Fact is that if hos offense does pan out its just a bonus - his defense will win is games on its own.

Look at the guys who could potentially replace him.  Lee is solid but he's an all-rounder and doesn't excel at anything specific.  His defense is above average, bit definately not game changing. Terry and Barbosa are both bog time offensive players, but neither is known for defense.

I believe that every great defensive team need a great defensive player - Philly had Iffy, Miami had Wade, Battier and James, Orlando had Dwight, LA (when they were elite) had a younger Kobe. 

If Bradley goes then once kg leaves we have no anchor - our defense would drop like a brick.

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 03:46:26 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
i get the distinct feeling that everybody who proposes trading bradley was an early bradley doubter. EBD's always have logical sounding reasons for wanting to trade him.

People don't like being wrong, and Bradley made EBD's look like fools last year.

EBD's will be further shocked when Bradley fully develops his offensive game and becomes close to unguardable because of his superior athleticism and gains in experience and confidence.

Better to trade him - for other, logical reasons of course.

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 04:25:03 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
THANK YOU! Avery was a huge part of how we built our run last season and is a very rare commodity in this league. Rondo loves playing with him and the two of them are the most intimidating backcourt in the league defensively. Does no one remember how good these two were when they played together?

Absolute Zero is our second best defensive player (sorry Rajon) and I would trust him against the Wades, Westbrooks, roses, and Pauls. Not many other players in the league have the ability to shut those guys down, and Avery is one of those very few.

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 04:30:51 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

The same doubt was being thrown Avery's way all over this board at the beginning of last season and he thoroughly proved everybody wrong.

"There's as much evidence to project him as a bust as there is to project him as an all star."- In what way shape or form is this true? He is a young talented player who came into his own as he was expected to since high school. There is no reason or evidence to expect Avery Bradley to bust but, based on his performance the majority of last season, a lot of evidence that he will continue to succeed.

I think you are hist extremely overly sensitive if anyone doesn't gush over Bradley.

I loved bradley last year and I had hopes for him and fulfilled those for 2 months.

What evidence do you have that he is going to be some sort of all star? Boy you mist have really been riding that Jeremy Lin train last year haha.

I don't see why people get insulted over the idea of trading Bradley. Nobody wants to cut him or doesn't think he's good. Its the exact opposite because he could def be a great trade chip. Id be more insulted by people that don't even think Bradley would be able to.fetch any big names or garner any interest.

Didn't we go through this with Al Jefferson already? At least at the time he was presumed to be budding into an all star (much more so than AB) and we were trading for a guy exiting his prime (although a once in a generation talent)

So if you think AB is better and more valuable than Josh Smith and you're willing to bet the world than I can't help you there. If you are only interested in trading bad or old players that no one wants than I can't hel you there either

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 05:08:39 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Bradley did a terrific job last season fror a short time. He earned our respect and loyalty. He showed in that brief time that he was a keeper and as some have said, a true Celtic. We lost him to a season ending injury that might have knocked us out of the playoffs.

I want everyone to remember the sequence of events leading up to the Perkins trade. Multiple injuries hurting us during the playoffs. Sound familiar to anyone?

If Avery stays healthy and returns to form this season he will remain a Celtic. Until that is, someone makes Danny any offer he likes. If Danny thinks it will improve the team he is gone.

I think Avery is great and would love to have him, but two things will end his career as a Celtic. One the aforementioned offer to Danny and two the repeat of his shoulder injuries making it a "history" of injury problems.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 05:36:50 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
What peopel are forgetting is that the kid had two shoulder surgeries and there's no telling when he's coming back, or, more importantly, what he'll look like when he does.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 05:54:33 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The people who think there is not really that much of a difference between the defense of Courtney Lee and the defense of a 100% healthy Avery Bradley are the people who seem to be forgetting what it is like when Avery Bradley is on the loor.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 06:05:10 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
What peopel are forgetting is that the kid had two shoulder surgeries and there's no telling when he's coming back, or, more importantly, what he'll look like when he does.

It's impossible to know the future and of course every body is different.  But having had shoulder surgery a couple of years ago and knowing a little about the type of procedure Bradley had, I don't see any reason he shouldn't be able to get back to 100%.  If anything, his shoulders should be more resistant to popping out.  My understanding is that was one of the goals of the procedure - to correct for the chronic dislocations.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.