Author Topic: KG: "I don't have Ray Allen's number anymore"  (Read 16259 times)

Re: KG: "I don't have Ray Allen's number anymore"
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2012, 11:52:01 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
I would add that Ray and Tony Allen both left by choice to seek a 'different' situation.

I have no problems with Tony Allen.  He left Boston for more money and an opportunity at a bigger role - he knew he was never going to get much opportunity to get in the sportlight playing behind Rondo and Allen.

Sure enough he went to Memphis (a team that was no threat to us at the time) and eventually became a starter and a major impact player, then really made a name for himself across the league.

Ray's situation is different - he went to our greatest current rival and did it for less money and potentially a lesser role.

Did he? I thought DA was willing to match the offer? And he was going there under the assumption that he was backing up Mayo/Gay.

http://www.comcastsportsnet.com/landing?blockID=522506&tagID=9814

Ainge regrets not re-signing Allen
By the time Boston stepped up and matched the Grizzlies' offer, Allen began to think more about the opportunity to start fresh in Memphis as opposed to coming back to the Celtics and remaining a backup to Ray Allen and Paul Pierce.

One of the main pitches the Grizzlies made to woo Allen was an opportunity to establish a name for himself instead of remaining in the shadow of Allen and Pierce.

In Memphis, Tony Allen has become more of a leader both on and off the court and was instrumental in the eighth-seeded Grizzlies upsetting top-seeded San Antonio in the first round of the playoffs.