Author Topic: Do you agree with Doc that Kobe is hardest working player in nba?  (Read 13343 times)

Re: Do you agree with Doc that Kobe is hardest working player in nba?
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2012, 12:44:57 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
All of the superstars in the NBA work hard. A 1000 shots a day, a strictly regimented diet, an hour of lifting and treadmill, autograph signing, etc. etc. is a normal day for these guys. We'll never truly understand how hard they work, especially from afar.

I love KG. I think he's one of the hardest working guys in the game. But I also think his big mouth draws more attention to him, at least on the court, than even a guy like Kobe would draw. We see how hard he works on defense because we're always trying to trace his bark. The same is true for offense.

I don't think anybody works HARDER than KG. But it's not out of the question to say someone like Kobe, who puts hours upon hours into skills he's already mastered and more hours on top of that into skills he'll never master (even at 34 years old), works just as hard.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2012, 03:42:24 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Kobe definitely seems to be one of them (if we are talking about off the court work).

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2012, 03:44:29 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
no one truly knows unless they see first hand

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2012, 08:45:23 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003

Exactly, which means we'll never know who's the hardest worker in the NBA.

Besides, when we talk about the "hardest working player in the NBA", I find it odd that only names of all-stars and superstars come up.  I can guarantee that there are hundreds of lower-tier talent players who work just as hard as superstars (or maybe even harder) in hopes of simply earning a spot on an NBA roster.

So no, I do not agree with Doc.  I'm not sure it's KG, Ray, or any other high profile name.  We can only speculate.

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2012, 08:48:38 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I agree with Doc. There's a reason why Kobe is a five-time NBA champion, likely on the verge of winning a 6th before he retires.

Shaq in 2000-02. Gasol's rebounding game 7 in 2010 when Kobe shot 6-24. He was the catalyst in 2009 even though Orlando really shot themselves in the foot on many occasions. 

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2012, 09:03:34 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Besides, when we talk about the "hardest working player in the NBA", I find it odd that only names of all-stars and superstars come up.  I can guarantee that there are hundreds of lower-tier talent players who work just as hard as superstars (or maybe even harder) in hopes of simply earning a spot on an NBA roster.

So no, I do not agree with Doc.  I'm not sure it's KG, Ray, or any other high profile name.  We can only speculate.

TP.  I like that.  Maybe it's Greg Stiemsma or Dionte Christmas or some other guy just trying to make it. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2012, 09:20:14 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
I agree with Doc. There's a reason why Kobe is a five-time NBA champion, likely on the verge of winning a 6th before he retires.

Shaq in 2000-02. Gasol's rebounding game 7 in 2010 when Kobe shot 6-24. He was the catalyst in 2009 even though Orlando really shot themselves in the foot on many occasions.

The titles still count on Kobe's record regardless. A similar case can be made for many NBA Champions, as nobody has done it alone.

Shaquille being the key player from 00-02 and Gasol being the key secondary player in 09-10 does nothing to diminish Kobe's five titles in my book.

Kobe averaged 21, 29, and 27 during his three postseason title runs with Shaq.  It wasn't like he was a role player or anything.

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2012, 09:53:45 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

When Bird was in the nba opposing coaches used to bring their younger players to watch him practice so they'd know how hard they had to work to make it in the league. I doubt that would have happened if those coaches had fringe players that worked harder than Larry.

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2012, 10:15:10 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003

When Bird was in the nba opposing coaches used to bring their younger players to watch him practice so they'd know how hard they had to work to make it in the league. I doubt that would have happened if those coaches had fringe players that worked harder than Larry.

You can show younger players how to succeed the best you can in the NBA with hard work, but only a select few make it.  The difference, as I'm sure you know, is talent.

I'm sure there are many players - NBA D-league, Euroleagues, etc. - that work just as hard as the premier NBA players.  The difference is simply genetics and skill.  As an analogy, think Usain Bolt vs. the rest of the Olympic track athletes.  Or Michael Phelps in his prime vs. the rest of the world's swimmers.  Do you really think that Michael Phelps won the gold because he outworked everyone else?

I'd argue that there is no such thing as "the hardest worker in the NBA", unless you include those that over-train their bodies detrimentally. 

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2012, 11:25:05 PM »

Offline kp4000

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 13
Doc is always talking. I would tell Doc that Kobe isn't the only hardest working player in the league. I guarantee they're players the work just as hard as Kobe, if not more.

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2012, 01:01:47 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

You can show younger players how to succeed the best you can in the NBA with hard work, but only a select few make it.  The difference, as I'm sure you know, is talent.

I'm sure there are many players - NBA D-league, Euroleagues, etc. - that work just as hard as the premier NBA players.  The difference is simply genetics and skill.  As an analogy, think Usain Bolt vs. the rest of the Olympic track athletes.  Or Michael Phelps in his prime vs. the rest of the world's swimmers.  Do you really think that Michael Phelps won the gold because he outworked everyone else?

I'd argue that there is no such thing as "the hardest worker in the NBA", unless you include those that over-train their bodies detrimentally.

I guess I wasn't really clear enough, but when the coaches would bring their players to watch Bird practice he would be the only player there because he started practicing well before anyone else on the team got to the gym. Obviously all the work in the world won't give a player talent like Bird's, but that doesn't mean that he didn't practice harder than most players. Again, if the average nba player (in the 80s) put in the effort that Bird did there would be no benefit to coaches having players observe his workouts.

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2012, 05:32:25 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Doc has coached both your selections and still commented the way he did...id tend to trust his opinion, Kobe clearly has a work ethic second to none

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2012, 05:42:23 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'm sure somewhere a fringe player puts in more time, works harder in the gym, etc..

But I think Docs point is more directed at stars, game changers. He's probably right.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2012, 02:22:28 AM »

Offline scottwedman

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
I'm sure somewhere a fringe player puts in more time, works harder in the gym, etc..

But I think Docs point is more directed at stars, game changers. He's probably right.

Doubtful.  It is easier for the superstars to put in the extra work because a) they have the time and b) they have the money to do so.  Training is a job in and of itself. It doesn't come with a paycheck, but requires funding.

The hypertalented who are also hyperdriven do things that hypertalented people without the drive don't do.

Frank Sinatra had the #1 album in 1946 . . . and did it again in 1966, when all of his contemporaries had long fallen out of favor.  How'd he do it?  He had a voice coach!

Let me repeat . . . 51 year old Frank Sinatra, legendary singer and performer, had a voice coach!

Similarly, Oscar Petersen - probably the greatest pianist ever - practiced piano 4 to 6 hours a day EVERY day until he was in his late 70s.

The truly great have Hall of Fame work ethics.

« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2012, 06:14:30 AM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.

Doubtful.  It is easier for the superstars to put in the extra work because a) they have the time and b) they have the money to do so.  Training is a job in and of itself. It doesn't come with a paycheck, but requires funding.

The hypertalented who are also hyperdriven do things that hypertalented people without the drive don't do.

Frank Sinatra had the #1 album in 1946 . . . and did it again in 1966, when all of his contemporaries had long fallen out of favor.  How'd he do it?  He had a voice coach!

Let me repeat . . . 51 year old Frank Sinatra, legendary singer and performer, had a voice coach!

Similarly, Oscar Petersen - probably the greatest pianist ever - practiced piano 4 to 6 hours a day EVERY day until he was in his late 70s.

The truly great have Hall of Fame work ethics.
Well, yeah. One doesn't get great at their craft on their own. (generally speaking)
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.