Author Topic: Sam Amico: Celtics interested in Sullinger  (Read 15834 times)

Re: Sam Amico: Celtics interested in Sullinger
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2012, 12:54:11 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Here is a link to the draft express scouting video they are the best free scouting videos on the web if you want to check them out for other people.
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Jared-Sullinger-Video-Scouting-Report-3989/

Ugh!  I don't get all the hype!  Im starting to feel he will be a lesser version of Big Baby.  Not as good a jump shooter and will have the same problem if not worse, trying to score over big men. 
He's a much better jump shooter than Baby was when he was in school. Unlike Baby he has lost weight every year he's played. He's a better defensive rebounder than Baby and he doesn't have a rep for being crazy and taking awful shots.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2012, 03:44:51 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Here is a link to the draft express scouting video they are the best free scouting videos on the web if you want to check them out for other people.

Ugh!  I don't get all the hype!  Im starting to feel he will be a lesser version of Big Baby.  Not as good a jump shooter and will have the same problem if not worse, trying to score over big men. 
He's a much better jump shooter than Baby was when he was in school. Unlike Baby he has lost weight every year he's played. He's a better defensive rebounder than Baby and he doesn't have a rep for being crazy and taking awful shots.
Sullinger's big problem, and the one that makes me think the C's *won't* draft him, is that he is an extremely poor fit for the Celtics defense. He is too slow to cover the pick and roll, too slow to make the rotations, too slow to closeout and recover. His other problems are lack of elevation and already having a bulging disk at 20. Slow, ground bound and an aching back at 20...personally, I'd pass on him even at 21/22.

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2012, 03:46:50 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Sullinger's big problem, and the one that makes me think the C's *won't* draft him, is that he is an extremely poor fit for the Celtics defense. He is too slow to cover the pick and roll, too slow to make the rotations, too slow to closeout and recover. His other problems are lack of elevation and already having a bulging disk at 20. Slow, ground bound and an aching back at 20...personally, I'd pass on him even at 21/22.

Glen Davis wasn't a great P&R defender either. Neither was Perkins.

All 3 are very good man-defenders.

Assuming his back is no real concern, Sullinger fits in like glue here.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2012, 04:02:04 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
As long as we don't choose him over guys like PJIII and Moultrie. He's going to be able to rebound and score in the league. I worry about his defense though, it looks like he's going to bleed points in the P&R.

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2012, 09:40:08 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
well, latest Mock's have him falling all the way to #19 now

we may be able to jump up while keeping our 2nd first rounder.

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2012, 09:43:16 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
well, latest Mock's have him falling all the way to #19 now

we may be able to jump up while keeping our 2nd first rounder.
mock drafts are pretty useless beyond the first 5-10 picks . They are so all over the place, draft express has sullinger going #7

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2012, 09:50:36 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Say we get him (hopefully!). For those who are really well versed in the college-NBA transition, do you think he can fill in Bass's shoes? (from the get-go or come playoff time 2012-13)

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2012, 09:52:03 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Say we get him (hopefully!). For those who are really well versed in the college-NBA transition, do you think he can fill in Bass's shoes? (from the get-go or come playoff time 2012-13)
he is BBD at the very least so yes. I think he could be a David West type

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2012, 11:42:26 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Not enough athleticism. The "somewhere between Glen Davis and David West" is a great comparison... sadly i think he's closer to Davis.

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2012, 12:03:20 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
to get big baby back in the form of a rookie would be a success

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2012, 12:05:42 AM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Sullinger will be at least as good as West.  Better low post scorer, greater range.  Hope the kid stays healthy.  
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2012, 12:44:34 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
Sullinger will be at least as good as West.  Better low post scorer, greater range.  Hope the kid stays healthy.  

I literally did not know he had a jump shot. He likes playing inside from what I've seen which is fantastic.

If he doesn't fall in love with his jumpshot (he hasn't so far apparently), he'd be what Big Baby could have and should have been.

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2012, 01:03:57 AM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255

I literally did not know he had a jump shot. He likes playing inside from what I've seen which is fantastic.

If he doesn't fall in love with his jumpshot (he hasn't so far apparently), he'd be what Big Baby could have and should have been.
He was 16/40 (40%)from 3 his last season.  In his combine he said he liked playing in the post, then corrected himself by saying he LOVED playing in the post. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2012, 01:07:14 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen

He was 16/40 (40%)from 3 his last season.  In his combine he said he liked playing in the post, then corrected himself by saying he LOVED playing in the post. 

That's the correct answer lol

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2012, 01:28:53 AM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
seriously, you guys break down sullinger like david khan would, and it has gotten to me, so here's a true analysis. keyword being "analysis."

exhibit A: http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jared-sullinger-1.html

these are sully's numbers. now dont just look at the points he scores. look at the win scores, offensive win score, and defensive win score.

snow compare them to glen davis:  http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/glen-davis-1.html sullinger destroys him in win scores, and baby had to stay in college 3 years to get those numbers.

now compared to dejuan blair: http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/dejuan-blair-1.html sullinger is still better.

now compared to kevin love:  http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kevin-love-1.html ok. kevin love is better. easily. kevin love took one year in college to outdo sullinger's college career.

alos the younger a player is, the more time the player has to develop. basketball analytics show that players get better until they hit 25. they usually peak at 25, then ride out that peak till about 30, then from there on out usually get progressively worse.

love got drafted when he was 19, blair when he was 20, and davis when he was 21. sullinger will get drafted when he is 20. kevein love had better stats than him as a 19 year old, so sully probably won't be as good as kevin love, but he will surely be better than glen davis.

additionally, i've read people say that he hasn't got length, a vertical, etc. go here:  http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/

he's got a higher vertical than dejuan blair. he's got about the same length as dejuan blair.

now compare him to al jefferson: jeferson was slower in the agility test than sullinger.

now compare him to kevin love: they have the SAME no step vert,  BASICALLY the SAME no step vert reach, sully has a bigger wingspan, and kevin love has a bigger reach, but both only outdo the other by a little.

the david west comparison is fair: both in the combine results and in the win scores in college: http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/david-west-1.html

but david west was 22 or 23 when he got drafted. sullingers got 2 years on him to improve. so this kid is basically going to be an all-star. he's not gonna run the fast break too well, but in the half-court he will do well.

now, when you take all of this into account, and you see the draft combine interview:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqlNZjBCl8U and see that he's a mature guy, who is very driven to succeed in basketball (motivation and work ethic go far in determining a players ceiling) - all this big baby 2.0 stuff is absurd.

im not saying sullinger isn't a risk if he's been medically red-flagged, but all in all his floor is dejuan blair, and his ceiling is kevin love (but he'll probably hit his just below that - say an al jefferson or elton brand or david west 2.0)

now before you all go saying i love the kid - im obsessed with the draft and i rank him as the 6th best prospect. if that kid drops to 21 and danny doesn't take him... im not going to be happy...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:39:53 AM by jyyzzoel »