Author Topic: Celtics vs Heat ECFs: How do we match up?  (Read 12903 times)

Re: Celtics vs Heat ECFs: How do we match up?
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2012, 08:35:32 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Yup we win the coaching battle for sure. All Spo has to do is leave Bron and Wade in the game and he is good to go . They do the rest.

Spo and Brooks could not coach a team like Philly/Atlanta if their lifes depended on it.  

Spo  "BARELY" has control of his team , BRON and Wade run the team , decide when they come in and out mostly.  Spo's team (who he is allowed to coach) is the other 13 losers/scrubs that with out Bron /Wade wouldn't beat the Bobcats in Series.

I really hate everything about HEAT basketball, its so FAKE.

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2012, 08:37:32 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Need a big series out of Pietrus in Bradley's absence and with Ray hobbled.

I think this could be a good series for Stiemsma too.  A lot of mediocre Miami bigs he can roam off of.

I'm afraid the Stiemer's feet are finally catching up with him--but of course I hope you're right.

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2012, 08:43:54 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

I think this could be a good series for Stiemsma too.  A lot of mediocre Miami bigs he can roam off of.

I'm afraid the Stiemer's feet are finally catching up with him--but of course I hope you're right.

yea , steamer is pretty slow when fully healthy , last night he picked up about 3 fouls in 5 mins. He simply can't move his feet fast enough to cover the pick and roll and even his shot blocking has been effected by the feet. Plus he isn't even taking the 15 ft J when he has it open anymore. If he can't guard pick and roll, can't reall block shots much and doesn't take the open J that he can hit, then what's the point of having him on the floor?

Would much rather see Hollins. I am not a huge Hollins fan, but at least he plays hard,is bigger than anyone on Miami, is quick enough to guard the pick and roll and can run the floor a little bit. Plus he seems to get under the skin of opponents which is always a good thing IMO.

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2012, 08:54:52 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I'm sure Doc will find a way to screw it up ::)

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2012, 09:39:22 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
biggest issue is ray on wade. other than that...boston should be ok

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2012, 09:39:50 AM »

Offline ForexPirate

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 19
i don't know maybe its time for a little karmic retribution ... someone needs to tackle wade and then fall on his elbow bending it backwards ... oh by accident of course

We are all banged up and still competing but they are an injury away from not being relevent.  Injuries happen.

Sasha needs to play unless those new shoes that Ray Ray has are going to help him play through the pain that is obviously throwing his game off.

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2012, 09:52:10 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
it all comes down to rajon rondo and Kevin garnett.

we have HUGE matchup advantages at those 2 positions...especially with the way KG is playing. in the 2 wins against the Heat they had absolutely no answer for them...Rondo needs to look for his shot...if we can go back to the mean on 3 point shooting then offensively we have a chance

losing bradley hurts, but the celtics are all about Team defense...Pietrus is going to have to step up his game(defensively and offensively) and keep wade in check.

honestly I like our chances..and hopefully Ray allen can build on last night and start being able to knock down shots. Wade usually seems to gamble against ray alot and he tends to get open.

i think we are underdogs, but for all the talking-heads on ESPN to say we will get steamrolled?? I dont see it. this is a better c's team than faced the heat last year IMO.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 10:06:46 AM by cman88 »

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2012, 11:14:33 AM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
I just hope someone shows these guys why Stephen A. Smith is spewing about them in this series.

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2012, 11:25:22 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Good thread. I also like the idea of using a zone in some situations.  At the very least this will give different looks.

I would like to see Doc start Pietrus at the 2 , and put him on Wade with Rondo on Chalmers.  As much as Bass might be a good inside matchup on LeBron, I expect to see Pierce getting the lion's share of the defensive minutes. Then Bring Ray off the bench where he can matchup better against MIA bench players.

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2012, 11:50:46 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
some good ideas here.

I like the zone approach for key parts of the game to throw off Miami.  I also like the idea of using our bench wings for short stretches to cover Wade/Bron but to especially run all over the court on O to get them tired out.  Wade/Bron will be playing 40+ minutes each game so if the C's can get them tired by the end of the games, it'll end up benefiting the C's -- especially if they switch to zone late in the game and Wade/Bron don't have the legs left to make outside jumpers or drive to the hoop

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2012, 12:02:45 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I'd have liked our chances with a healthy Ray OR AB; both would have been even better.  Now we have neither.  Those 5 min lapses without a FG are good enough to scrape by teams like ATL and PHI.  Against MIA it's going to lead to blowouts. 

We basically need Rondo, Pierce, KG, and Bass to be firing on all cylinders the entire series; that is our only chance.  Ray is not going to be 100% until off season surgery so I have very low expectations for what he can do.

We know Pietrus will get his minutes, but I think Sasha could make some contributions too if given a chance.

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2012, 12:07:28 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101

yea , steamer is pretty slow when fully healthy , last night he picked up about 3 fouls in 5 mins. He simply can't move his feet fast enough to cover the pick and roll and even his shot blocking has been effected by the feet. Plus he isn't even taking the 15 ft J when he has it open anymore. If he can't guard pick and roll, can't reall block shots much and doesn't take the open J that he can hit, then what's the point of having him on the floor?

Would much rather see Hollins. I am not a huge Hollins fan, but at least he plays hard,is bigger than anyone on Miami, is quick enough to guard the pick and roll and can run the floor a little bit. Plus he seems to get under the skin of opponents which is always a good thing IMO.

The thing with Hollins is he has come up with a few HUGE offensive boards for us. This from a guy with a rep for not being able to rebound. So he isn't that good but he has indeed been good enough to be in there for a few. And this is how we are surviving. Peaches hasn't been great but he is having his moments and he is physical. Its been ok when PP and Ray have had to rest. Dooling has been ok too. Those two might well hit some big shots and you know they will play solid d.

Rondo will have to bring it. We are nearly unbeatable when he has a triple double, even if that triple double is of the 13-12-10 variety. We are all so used to our point guard getting 10 boards.

I hope many of the folks here saw the press conference after. It was a reminder that what happens with rajon is he gets down on himself. Its not that he doesn't get along with the guys. As good a man as Perk is, it made sense all along that if Rajon was his best buddy, Rajon wasn't a jerk.

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2012, 12:53:27 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
The Heat will absolutely own the matchups of LeBron and Wade.  This is almost certain.  On the opposite end, the Celtics should absolutely own the matchups of Rondo and KG.  I think this series is going to come down to the role players.  Who can step up and make some important shots.

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2012, 01:11:43 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
The Heat will absolutely own the matchups of LeBron and Wade.  This is almost certain.  On the opposite end, the Celtics should absolutely own the matchups of Rondo and KG.  I think this series is going to come down to the role players.  Who can step up and make some important shots.

Bass needs to continue to give us 12-15ppg and Pietrus needs to start knocking down his open 3's

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2012, 01:29:15 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I was thinking about things in a very similar way.  We all know we can't match the athleticism of the heat.  I was wondering if actually expanding the rotation in the series might help a bit.  give MD and Sasha minutes just to keep ray and MP more fresh.  i know that goes against normal playoff rotations, but we gotta shake things up somehow to give ourselves a chance to win.

We are clearly better at the 1 and 5, a bit better at the 4, but clearly lacking at the 3 and especially the 2. Here's how I think we can deflate these problematic match ups:

Whenever Paul Pierce or Ray Allen are not on the floor, have the other 2's and 3's running from side to side (ala Ray Allen) so that Wade and Lebron have to chase them through screens. This way, if the Heat's superstars chase them all game long they'll be worn down and exhausted, which is great for the game and the series. If they don't do it, we get open shots. In other words, frequently rotate between Pietrus, Dooling, Moore, Pavlovic, and Marquis (5 minutes at a time each) and just keep them running without the ball. They don't even have to be very effective offensively, just tire down Lebron and Wade and have KG, Rondo and Bass do the offensive damage. The Heat don't have anyone else to fill in for the big two on offense.