Author Topic: Celtics vs Heat ECFs: How do we match up?  (Read 12904 times)

Re: Celtics vs Heat ECFs: How do we match up?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 01:30:56 AM »

Offline Senninsage

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
We match up very well. We can beat this team, and beat them pretty badly at that.

Bradley being gone is a major loss for us. His ability to deny Wade the ball the way he does would have been huge, and he has the ability and speed to get interceptions and break up plays or fast breaks in a way that nobody else on this team has the ability to do.

So, all we can really hope for is that the Celtics take care of business. But, without a doubt, they can beat this Miami Heats team.

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 02:02:29 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 02:20:14 AM »

Offline Lechoke Lames

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
We are clearly better at the 1 and 5, a bit better at the 4, but clearly lacking at the 3 and especially the 2. Here's how I think we can deflate these problematic match ups:

Whenever Paul Pierce or Ray Allen are not on the floor, have the other 2's and 3's running from side to side (ala Ray Allen) so that Wade and Lebron have to chase them through screens. This way, if the Heat's superstars chase them all game long they'll be worn down and exhausted, which is great for the game and the series. If they don't do it, we get open shots. In other words, frequently rotate between Pietrus, Dooling, Moore, Pavlovic, and Marquis (5 minutes at a time each) and just keep them running without the ball. They don't even have to be very effective offensively, just tire down Lebron and Wade and have KG, Rondo and Bass do the offensive damage. The Heat don't have anyone else to fill in for the big two on offense.

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 02:29:56 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Need a big series out of Pietrus in Bradley's absence and with Ray hobbled.

I think this could be a good series for Stiemsma too.  A lot of mediocre Miami bigs he can roam off of.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 02:30:18 AM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
Yes we will march out the zone. The rotations should be:

KG 38 Steamer/Hollins 10
KG 4 Bass 34 PP 10
PP 30 Peaches 14 Sasha 4
Ray 35 Peaches 13
Rajon 40 Dooling 8

Daniels can get some time both at guard or backing PP, but Ive got some faith in Sasha to be physical and hit a deep ball here and there and run around screens. If we play really physical on d, which we are going to, the loss of Bradley will be mitigated by brutal half court d with Peaches, Dooling, Sasha being the instigators off the bench.

Between Ray, Peaches, PP, and Sasha we have wings to body up. Ray played well overall today even with a bad foot/ankle.

My hope is that we are so overdue from the three area that we revert to the mean and hit 40% or more from there. We'd have won by 25 today if not for being 3 for 17.

Without Bosh we can beat Mia and I guess the world will be shocked. Again.

I hope by some miracle we jump on the right away on Monday and get ahead 1-0. The pressure will be huge on the Wednesday and indeed the pressure will build to bring Bosh back too soon in desperation. They have shown they can get off the mat but lets get them down and see what happens, eh?

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 03:12:40 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
We are clearly better at the 1 and 5, a bit better at the 4, but clearly lacking at the 3 and especially the 2. Here's how I think we can deflate these problematic match ups:

Whenever Paul Pierce or Ray Allen are not on the floor, have the other 2's and 3's running from side to side (ala Ray Allen) so that Wade and Lebron have to chase them through screens. This way, if the Heat's superstars chase them all game long they'll be worn down and exhausted, which is great for the game and the series. If they don't do it, we get open shots. In other words, frequently rotate between Pietrus, Dooling, Moore, Pavlovic, and Marquis (5 minutes at a time each) and just keep them running without the ball. They don't even have to be very effective offensively, just tire down Lebron and Wade and have KG, Rondo and Bass do the offensive damage. The Heat don't have anyone else to fill in for the big two on offense.

I actually really really like that idea. especially if we can have something like bass kg and rondo on at a time give us some scoring. Then pietrus dooling and sasha all can shoot the 3 ball. Them running off screens and tiring lebron and wade out could work

All in all i think the zone defence is going to be the key. Paul can defend lebron. We all know rondo loves getting into lebrons face so maybe something there. But im almost a strong advocate for allen on chalmers and rondo on wade as well. I can see Pav getting some floor time this series.

All else fails do the Miami trick........... SEND IN THE GOONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 03:28:04 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Haha I loved that and how about Paul on his knees hitting the parquet when Rondo hit that dagger three = awesome
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 03:47:13 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
you guys are more optimistic than i am.  wade and lebron are healthy and the celtics are not.  i'm praying they don't get swept.   losing bradley is so dissapointing.

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 07:42:23 AM »

Offline Kuberski1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
you guys are more optimistic than i am.  wade and lebron are healthy and the celtics are not.  i'm praying they don't get swept.   losing bradley is so dissapointing.

THIS.

I want to give them a hell of a fight, but we were running on fumes to beat an inferior team.  Losing AB, who could have slowed Wade, hurts a ton.  But stranger things have happened, so keeping the faith until the very end.

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, 07:53:20 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
As a Celtics fan ...I'm JUST plain happy to still be here. ;D

It's been a great season win or loose .

We are the low seed left standing .

Will be interesting to see if the other three remaining teams take the Celtics seriously.

We will need some help from the basketball gods to pull this series off.  Either way I'm  excited to see the team this far.

I expect the Celtics to fight the good fight.

IF we had Wilcox and Bradley and healthy RA, I would have liked our chances alot better .  Somehow  HEAT missing Bosh does one thing, now Wade and Bron play totally 2 man ball and take 85% of the shots .   Nobody else is allowed to play ot make mistakes.

They seem harder to beat without Bosh . ???  

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2012, 07:57:38 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
As a C's fan, I'm never just happy to be anywhere. I expect to be here.

Four thoughts: I zone them up defensively - frequently. I want LeJesus and Wade to make outside shots if they're going to beat me.

Point two: We have two distinct matchup advantages: At the point and at the post. We have to have major results from both positions EVERY night out. There's no time for a night off, a bad game or whatever the partisans on this blog want to call it. Rondo and Garnett have to be great EVERY night out.

Point three: Same thing all playoffs - attack with the basketball to the rim, something we have NOT done particularly well throughout these playoffs.

Point four: Rebound. Rebound. Rebound.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2012, 08:07:10 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
The other matchup problem is Bass vs Lebron at the 4. Can we gamble on Bass keeping up with him, or do we go with Pierce at the 4?

Not sure why you think Bass would be covering James. Pierce will be on James, Bass on Battier, KG on Turiaf.

Without Bosh the Heat simply isn't as athletic as people think. Yes, they have James and Wade, but they're surrounded by Haslem, Battier, Miller (who can barely stand up straight), Turiaf, Chalmers, and Anthony. By no means are they as athletic, from top to bottom, as Philly, who can throw athletes at us in waves with AI, Williams, Holiday, Young, Turner, etc.

The Heat fronted the Pacers effectively because Indy simply doesn't have the passers to make the entry passes. With Hill and Collison they had players who are much more adept at scoring than they're at setting up their teammates. Our team has much better passing, and this could prove vital as the Heat will probably be fronting both KG and Bass often.

Defensively I would like to see a zone out there when Ray is in the game to protect him. However, although it would be physically demanding, a Ray on Chalmers, Rondo on Wade cross matchup could also be something we often see. Sasha intrigues me on James because he knows his tendencies well having played with him in Cleveland for 5 seasons.

I would like us to stay big vs them. I know that Doc loves to go with small ball, but I do like the length of Steimsma and Hollins to protect the rim, and if nothing else deliver hard fouls that over the course of a series start to add up.

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2012, 08:08:00 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Reasons why we can win:

1)  Nobody on the Heat can guard KG, even with Bosh

2)  The Heat have the two best players, the Celtics have the next five or six

3)  If Lebron plays the 4, Bass might be the best PF in the league to keep up with his speed and strength.  Not that anyone can stop him, but hopefully slow him a little.

4)  The Celtics owned the Heat late in the season WITH Bosh.

5)  Lebron can't play Pierce any better than Iguadala did last series.  Pierce might get easier looks this round believe it or not.

6)  Ray can't play any worse than he did against Philly.  Hopefully the 4th quarter was the return of Ray's jumper.

7)  Shasha, Marquis, Dooling, Steamsma and Hollins can all make defensive contributions and give the C's the size they need against the Heat.  The Heat bench = a rookie PG, the artist formerly known as Mike Miller and whoever doesn't start between Anthony and Turiaf.  I'll take the C's bench any day.

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2012, 08:23:20 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
We have Doc. They have Spoelstra. Come on...that's our biggest advantage!
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2012, 08:24:29 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we are going to miss Bradley on Wade.

I do not think they can guard Rondo or Garnett.  PP will be nuetralized somewhat but will still pitch in.  I could see Sasha being important in this series.

I think we actually have the bodies to throw some fouls downrange with Greg and Ryan and Sasha and Pietrus against LeBron.

I suspect the refs as usual to be pro MIA all the way.