Author Topic: Doc:Ray Allen is the starter  (Read 12508 times)

Re: Doc:Ray Allen is the starter
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2012, 12:21:43 AM »

Offline rayallen1934

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I don't get the whole "Ray should start because he's a future Hall of Famer and he's done so much for the C's" talk. Are we running a basketball team or a lifetime achievement ceremony?

I love Ray - he helped bring us banner 17. But its obvious we need to spice things up with our line up. I think we should keep AB in the lineup for the rest of the season. I wanna see if he can be a viable 2-guard + backcourt mate for Rondo for the future.

I agree with your 1st sentence, and agree AB should continue to start.

Just to play devils' advocate though, your last sentence is a problem.  Are we trying to win basketball games or are we running live tryouts?  You don't start a player just to see if they'll be a viable starter for the future in the middle of a playoff run.

he had one night here he was 0-6 vs denver , rest look 40% or better

was it his fault they lost to the lakers 88-87 in overtime??????

when garnett was 6-23

and ray was 9-20, 6 rebounds and 22 points?

This is just one example of how this 9-1 without a player is skewed

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2012, 01:21:57 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I don't get the whole "Ray should start because he's a future Hall of Famer and he's done so much for the C's" talk. Are we running a basketball team or a lifetime achievement ceremony?

I love Ray - he helped bring us banner 17. But its obvious we need to spice things up with our line up. I think we should keep AB in the lineup for the rest of the season. I wanna see if he can be a viable 2-guard + backcourt mate for Rondo for the future.

Just to play devils' advocate though, your last sentence is a problem.  Are we trying to win basketball games or are we running live tryouts?  You don't start a player just to see if they'll be a viable starter for the future in the middle of a playoff run.

when garnett was 6-23

Was 4-1 to the Heat skewed in the playoffs?
When Ray was doing a great job holding D-Wade to a measly statline of 30/7/5.

Its time for people to realize that Ray is nothing but a spot up 3 point shooter at this point.

Who do the Grizz start out of Tony Allen and OJ Mayo? Avery is our Tony this year. He needs to start.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2012, 01:43:25 AM »

Offline rayallen1934

• Jaylen Brown

when garnett was 6-23

Its time for people to realize that Ray is nothing but a spot up 3 point shooter at this point.

Who do the Grizz start out of Tony Allen and OJ Mayo? Avery is our Tony this year. He needs to start.

Yea its skewed, dont mention a playoff series to a back to back game for the heat during a rough stretch for them, and a game in which apparently he was injured early in the 2nd qtr and didnt play tonight.

I love bradleys defense, and its definently better than Ray's...but im not going to go overboard and think this guy can do it in the playoffs. I dont think its possible for him just yet.

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2012, 01:57:55 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

when garnett was 6-23

Yea its skewed, dont mention a playoff series to a back to back game for the heat during a rough stretch for them, and a game in which apparently he was injured early in the 2nd qtr and didnt play tonight.

I love bradleys defense, and its definently better than Ray's...but im not going to go overboard and think this guy can do it in the playoffs. I dont think its possible for him just yet.

So you're satisfied with how Ray was able to defend D-Wade in the playoffs last season?

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2012, 04:29:10 AM »

Offline anthony83

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Avery Bradley is playing very good, great defense but Ray Allen is Ray Allen, still he´s a starter in NBA, best shooting guard in the league.

GO CELTICSĦĦĦ

Twitter: @Theanswer83

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2012, 05:33:34 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Avery Bradley is playing very good, great defense but Ray Allen is Ray Allen, still he´s a starter in NBA, best shooting guard in the league.

GO CELTICSĦĦĦ

manu Ginobili, Jason Terry, just some of the names you can mention out there that can just as easily start but is prospering well as 6th man.

Its bout time for Ray, at 36 y/o to come off the bench.

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2012, 06:04:00 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I can appreciate the idea that Ray goes back in the starting line up, but Bradley simply CANNOT go back to the 10 to 15 minutes a game he was lucky to get when Ray and Rondo were both playing.

Mike
agree, maybe something like kg is doing now, give ray more rest
hopefully ray goes back to being a full player, driving to the hoop, 3 assists, 2 rebounds
yes he spreads the floor but we can't have the offense go back to stagnant
i can see a nice inside out game with ray and kg on the post

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2012, 06:54:26 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

when garnett was 6-23

And now you know why Tony left and is flourishing in Memphis. It was not about money, it was about opportunities. As long as the Big Three are here, they will start and play big minutes.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2012, 07:43:11 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
http://t.co/lfH7UGAM

Doc says Allen could come off bench. Maybe Allen made a suggestion.

It happens.
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2012, 08:57:37 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Maybe KG &PP made the point  ;) ....ah Doc,  look don't screw up whats working..or Doc "ASKED" their opinion...these vets aren't asleep at the wheel.

Isn't a injury how TOm Brady got the QB job on the Pats ? , an injury to the starter. Came out of nowwhere, and Boom !

Man... they got that boy (AB) started,  he's flying high as kite,  now is not the time to put a bump in the kids path. They threw him out of the nest...now let him fly. ROndo is loving it.

We now have RAY (supposedly well) to fall back on if AB stumbles... not giving Avery the starting spot might kill his fragile ego at this point.

He has earned the shot at Tony Parker and the Spurs.

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2012, 09:25:42 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
The good thing is that Doc did say that the rotations would be adjusted. Perhaps this means Ray and KG will both be coming out around the 7 minute mark and both will enter together around the 1 min mark. This would give our second unit more offensive punch, make Ray happy by giving the vet the courtesy start, and have Bradley continue to play alongside Rondo. I could only help but think that the KG like substitution pattern can only help Allen's game. Since he expends so much energy running around screens it would help keep him fresher throughout the game.

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2012, 11:12:10 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
tbh, Doc is a great coach in my opinion but I don't like his rotation strategies. For example Greg Popovich and Rick Carlisle experimented with their starting unit, most notable Rick who played around in the playoffs to the Heat and then winning it all.

Doc needs to know the big 3 no longer is young and cannot run with the younger starting teams. I know you cannot solely rely on Avery Bradley for our success but have any of you notice when Bradley and Bass started, Rondo is driving to the basket a lot more often? He now has more option on the fast break as well

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2012, 11:45:41 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
common Doc don't mess up the chemistry that we're building... just when i thought that you're starting to make some sense...SMH

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2012, 12:01:12 PM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things
this just aggravates me. well there goes our winning streak guys. it's really frustrating how doc doesn't have an open mind about veterans and rotations. seriously though AB has earned the starting role as far as i'm concerned but hey i've never won a ring. i guess we will find out when ray comes back and gets our bigs in foul trouble from getting that ankle blown out by younger faster players GAHHHHHH
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2012, 12:16:52 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
#CelticsTalk: Doc Rivers says #Celtics Ray Allen did practice today. If he plays tomorrow vs #Spurs, Doc said he will start.

http://twitter.com/#!/SherrodbCSN/status/187218842295091200

As long as Bradley gets 25+ mins a games I am fine with it .
I agree, however I think defense would help them get off to a better start instead of trading baskets, but hey, it's not like Ray can't play defense at all, and he has had two weeks off, so he should be well rested...