Author Topic: Doc:Ray Allen is the starter  (Read 12512 times)

Re: Doc:Ray Allen is the starter
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 06:31:33 PM »

Offline Senninsage

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
I guess I don't mind, and it would indeed be a major risk to have a player such as Ray Allen and not start him after all that he's done for the team over the years. Ray has helped win some truly big games for us way too many times.

The good news here is that Bradley has established himself as a legitimate option for this team now. He has a confidence now that he clearly never did before, and that will only help this team.

Ray's three point shooting will always be a valuable asset, as will his forcing what is usually one of the other team's better players to chase him down while he's on the court, which certainly has to tire them out for the offensive end. Ray has very solid defense and has shown on multiple occasions that he can be apart of a huge Celtics defensive push. Ray is and will continue to be an important part of this team. Doc just needs to be smart about how he utilizes Ray and Bradley, but Bradley is definitely a big part of this team's future. I can see it clear as day.

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2012, 06:37:34 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
People are so fickle.

People were killing KG earlier in the year and look at the difference now.

Ray was tremendous when PP was out starting the season. We lost those games, but we were in those games because of Ray.

Ray was averaging over 15PPG on 50% FG shooting and 61% 3PT shooting before he jammed his ankle in late January.

After he jammed his ankle Ray's efficiency dropped to 45% FG shooting and 40% 3PT shooting....still very good numbers.

How was the team's offense?  How was his D and the team's D?

the TEAM's offense has absolutely nothing to do with Ray Allen.  Nothing.  Ray's baskets are simply a product of ball movement.  When the team does that he scores, when they don't - he doesn't.

Rondo's running of the team offense is very different with AB in instead of RA.  You're talking about the team's impact on Ray's scoring, whereas I'm talking about the reverse.

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2012, 06:40:46 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Doc is Old! He's very stuck in his traditional way of doing things. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it. Bradley has been cooking & needs the extra confidence like starting to continue to be a good basketballer. Ray does not lack confidence & won't. Why not have him come off the bench??? The big 4 will always be the big 4 no matter who starts. Look at OKC. Harden is clearly better than Thabo but doesn't start, yet he's still part of their Big 3. Doc You Old Man! ;D

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2012, 06:40:59 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I was starting to hope that Doc would go out on a limb on this one, but I'm not surprised that he's decided to play it safe.

Let's hope that Ray got some good rest and is ready to add to the
good thing this team has going right now.  

Either way, Ray's return should bolster our bench efficiency.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2012, 06:41:09 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
just like i said if this team starts losing again, i know who to blame. it was not only offense and 3 point shooting that the starting line up needed it was also defense on opposing SG's which ray has not really looked all that interested in playing defense this season,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ezeIuffCKw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y46qnkn_Hc0

this is what would've happened this past sunday if ray started

^

-3 tommy points for you

opposing shooting guards have been averaging 13 points a game on 42% shooting or something like that.

I know people want to blame and praise the new guy...but giving it to such small sample size against some inferior competition and beating an already faltering Miami Heat team is down right funny

And even if i am partial to Ray Allen, we all know jumping to conclusions on Celticsblog is the norm, and flip flopping, mostly everyone is bipolar

Rondo and Pierce could stink tonight and Ray can have a 22 point game and people will figure out a way to blame him. He has been the scapegoat for his bad stretches but also for other players bad stretches
Is that you Ray??!

LOL

lol i need to change my screename.

All im saying is its an unfair assessment that Ray is the problem and Bradley is the answer.

Its fine right now when were winning games, but when it comes down to the playoffs, i can see Bradley getting exposed...Wade might have been bad, but the heat are not exactly on fire right now.

Again all im saying is its unfair to blame the losing on Ray and Praise the winning entirely on Bradley which seems what people are doing.
I agree see the "Old and Slow" thread but do see both sides. KG and more importantly Rondo seem to really like AB in the starting lineup though, from postgames seems Rondo wants to keep it going.

If you think about it how do you want to start games jacking up 3's or getting to the paint? AB gets his right at the rim.

It'd be one thing if all Ray did was "jack up" 3s, even though that in itself is stretching it considering how good a shooter Ray actually is. It's not like he doesn't drive to the hoop off a fake.
I didn't mean it as a knock on him love Ray but that's what he does shoot 3's
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2012, 06:42:02 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm ok with Doc starting Ray Allen (for now) so long as he is open to the idea of having Avery Bradley close games sometimes, based on matchups and how the team is playing.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I'm ok with Doc starting Ray Allen (for now) so long as he is open to the idea of having Avery Bradley close games sometimes, based on matchups and how the team is playing.

I'll believe Doc closing with Bradley over Ray when I see it...he tends not to deviate much.

I usually agree with those who say who starts and who comes off the bench is not a big deal, but in this case I'd like to see Avery continue starting, because if he doesn't find Avery enough minutes, that is a big deal, and I think this decision makes it more likely that Avery will be underutilized.  Hope I'm wrong.  

I would have no fear of Ray Allen being underutilized if he were to come off the bench, and if he were underutilized here and there, a rested Ray Allen is a good thing.  Defense is a constant.  Offense comes and goes.  We need Allen playing high level defense, and for that to happen let's face it he must be rested.

Why not start games with a better balance of youth and age, offense and defense?  Doc says they'll change the substitution pattern to get some of the same combos we've been seeing lately.  If he sticks to that I'll be happy I guess.  My concern is that he'll go back to having a short leash with any mistakes Bradley makes, and we'll see Bradley's minutes dwindle again...especially in the playoffs.  Again I hope I'm wrong.

Imo this decision shows the Celtics sticking with the status quo over defense.  And of making the classic mistake of not sticking with something that's working beautifully.

If it works out and Doc finds Avery big minutes I'll happily eat crow.  

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2012, 09:35:51 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
 >:( :'( :P
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2012, 09:40:40 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If Doc had been coach of the Patriots the Tom Brady era would have happened in San Francisco.

I like Drew Bledsoe too, but at some point you gotta look at wins. It doesn't matter if they can't complete a pass or hit the three as well. Look at the wins. And look at the losses

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2012, 09:45:47 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I'm disappointed by this decision. Avery could have potentially been our second x-factor in the playoffs behind R2,, and this move could very well kill his rhythm.

I also have no idea why were starting the slower, underdone, worse defender against one of the most high octane offenses in the league.

Ray has done nothing of note this season since the first couple of weeks. If we lose tomorrow all eyes will be on him and doc rivers. Especially if the spurs guards have big games.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2012, 10:58:21 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
#CelticsTalk: Doc Rivers says #Celtics Ray Allen did practice today. If he plays tomorrow vs #Spurs, Doc said he will start.

http://twitter.com/#!/SherrodbCSN/status/187218842295091200

As long as Bradley gets 25+ mins a games I am fine with it .

as long as 20 of those are at sg
Won't happen except against smaller teams. I don't see Doc playing Ray at SF in the regular season against most team's line ups. Ray also won't dip below 30 minutes per game.

bradley is terrible at the 1.  even if he is undersized, he contributes at the 2.  i would prefer ray to bradley obviously, but if bradley is to truly contribute, it wont be at the 1

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2012, 11:19:06 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I agree with this a lot.  Cut Ray's minutes back so he can be more fresh in the 4th quarter when we have been at our worst on offense.  Let AB tire out the other guards.

AB needs more than 15 min per game

I can appreciate the idea that Ray goes back in the starting line up, but Bradley simply CANNOT go back to the 10 to 15 minutes a game he was lucky to get when Ray and Rondo were both playing.

Mike

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2012, 11:54:30 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I don't get the whole "Ray should start because he's a future Hall of Famer and he's done so much for the C's" talk. Are we running a basketball team or a lifetime achievement ceremony?

I love Ray - he helped bring us banner 17. But its obvious we need to spice things up with our line up. I think we should keep AB in the lineup for the rest of the season. I wanna see if he can be a viable 2-guard + backcourt mate for Rondo for the future.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2012, 12:01:56 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't get the whole "Ray should start because he's a future Hall of Famer and he's done so much for the C's" talk. Are we running a basketball team or a lifetime achievement ceremony?

I love Ray - he helped bring us banner 17. But its obvious we need to spice things up with our line up. I think we should keep AB in the lineup for the rest of the season. I wanna see if he can be a viable 2-guard + backcourt mate for Rondo for the future.

I agree with your 1st sentence, and agree AB should continue to start.

Just to play devils' advocate though, your last sentence is a problem.  Are we trying to win basketball games or are we running live tryouts?  You don't start a player just to see if they'll be a viable starter for the future in the middle of a playoff run.

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2012, 12:02:01 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
just like i said if this team starts losing again, i know who to blame. it was not only offense and 3 point shooting that the starting line up needed it was also defense on opposing SG's which ray has not really looked all that interested in playing defense this season,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ezeIuffCKw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y46qnkn_Hc0

this is what would've happened this past sunday if ray started

^

-3 tommy points for you

opposing shooting guards have been averaging 13 points a game on 42% shooting or something like that.

I know people want to blame and praise the new guy...but giving it to such small sample size against some inferior competition and beating an already faltering Miami Heat team is down right funny

And even if i am partial to Ray Allen, we all know jumping to conclusions on Celticsblog is the norm, and flip flopping, mostly everyone is bipolar

Rondo and Pierce could stink tonight and Ray can have a 22 point game and people will figure out a way to blame him. He has been the scapegoat for his bad stretches but also for other players bad stretches

Meh I've been frustrated with Allen's play the last month or so even before bradley started in front of him. He has been scoring below 10, have some nights where he was 0-6 from 3 etc. His averages have just been pulled up by his hot start early on.