Author Topic: Doc:Ray Allen is the starter  (Read 12483 times)

Re: Doc:Ray Allen is the starter
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 04:29:27 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
They're saying Boo-URNS

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 04:37:26 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
just like i said if this team starts losing again, i know who to blame. it was not only offense and 3 point shooting that the starting line up needed it was also defense on opposing SG's which ray has not really looked all that interested in playing defense this season,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ezeIuffCKw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y46qnkn_Hc0

this is what would've happened this past sunday if ray started

^

-3 tommy points for you

opposing shooting guards have been averaging 13 points a game on 42% shooting or something like that.

I know people want to blame and praise the new guy...but giving it to such small sample size against some inferior competition and beating an already faltering Miami Heat team is down right funny

And even if i am partial to Ray Allen, we all know jumping to conclusions on Celticsblog is the norm, and flip flopping, mostly everyone is bipolar

Rondo and Pierce could stink tonight and Ray can have a 22 point game and people will figure out a way to blame him. He has been the scapegoat for his bad stretches but also for other players bad stretches
Is that you Ray??!

LOL

lol i need to change my screename.

All im saying is its an unfair assessment that Ray is the problem and Bradley is the answer.

Its fine right now when were winning games, but when it comes down to the playoffs, i can see Bradley getting exposed...Wade might have been bad, but the heat are not exactly on fire right now.

Again all im saying is its unfair to blame the losing on Ray and Praise the winning entirely on Bradley which seems what people are doing.
I agree see the "Old and Slow" thread but do see both sides. KG and more importantly Rondo seem to really like AB in the starting lineup though, from postgames seems Rondo wants to keep it going.

If you think about it how do you want to start games jacking up 3's or getting to the paint? AB gets his right at the rim.

It'd be one thing if all Ray did was "jack up" 3s, even though that in itself is stretching it considering how good a shooter Ray actually is. It's not like he doesn't drive to the hoop off a fake.

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 04:44:12 PM »

Offline mustang

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
This is the way it should be with the Celtics.  K.C. didn't start until Tommy retired, and although I wasn't around back then, I'm sure it was a similar situation.  Elders get respect in this organization - at least that's the Celtic ideal.

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 04:50:02 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
I love AB's play. But Ray's no dummy. Let's see how he does in the Spurs game.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 04:50:37 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I can appreciate the idea that Ray goes back in the starting line up, but Bradley simply CANNOT go back to the 10 to 15 minutes a game he was lucky to get when Ray and Rondo were both playing.

Mike

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 04:50:55 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
While I'm not buying the back to old and slow and I'm still a big fan of Ray, I'd much prefer him off the bench right now.
First, this team is playing really well and beating good teams with AB starting, so I would not mess with that. While i agree he's not the shooter Ray is, he has a decent touch from 15-18 feet, cuts really well, as is an excellent defender. Starting him and Rondo together gives them an excellent defensive back court.
Second, especally with all their injuries they need someone like Ray off the bench. They really don't have a scorer off the bench and Bradley isn't that. I still see Ray getting pleanty of minutes, just off the bench. I think he'd be a great sixth man on this team.

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 04:58:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I can appreciate the idea that Ray goes back in the starting line up, but Bradley simply CANNOT go back to the 10 to 15 minutes a game he was lucky to get when Ray and Rondo were both playing.

Mike
Assuming Ray plays around 30 minutes that leaves around 12 minutes at backup PG and 18 minutes at backup SG. Bradley can't get all of those, but he should see around 20 to 25 minutes at both spots depending on how much Doc juggles.

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 05:10:22 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
This is all really much ado abou nothing.  Ray is a first ballot Hall of Famer who has helped this team win a title. Did anyone really think Doc was going to bench him because Bradley had a few good games? 

The real key is to simply keep giving Bradley big minutes. Who starts and who comes off the bench is really small potatoes.  If I'm Doc I try to not only give Bradley most of (if not all) of the backup 1-2 minutes, I play Ray at the 3 for 5-10 minutes per game (especially with Pietrus out) to free up even more time for Avery.

And before anyone tells me that Ray can't play the 3 at all answer me these questions:

1) Did you also say KG couldn't play the 5?

2) Is Ray really any smaller than Marquis Daniels, a guy we have often played at the 3?

3) Isn't it just as much of a mismatch for a bigger stronger 3 to guard Ray than it is for Ray to guard that 3?

And of course there are exceptions like LeBron; however, Ray should have little problem guarding the backup 3s of the world.

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
#CelticsTalk: Doc Rivers says #Celtics Ray Allen did practice today. If he plays tomorrow vs #Spurs, Doc said he will start.

http://twitter.com/#!/SherrodbCSN/status/187218842295091200

As long as Bradley gets 25+ mins a games I am fine with it .

as long as 20 of those are at sg

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 05:17:38 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I like this against the spurs I guess. Let Bradley take on Ginobli when he comes off the bench and let Ray run green into the ground.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 05:34:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
#CelticsTalk: Doc Rivers says #Celtics Ray Allen did practice today. If he plays tomorrow vs #Spurs, Doc said he will start.

as long as 20 of those are at sg
Won't happen except against smaller teams. I don't see Doc playing Ray at SF in the regular season against most team's line ups. Ray also won't dip below 30 minutes per game.

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 05:39:58 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
People are so fickle.

People were killing KG earlier in the year and look at the difference now.

Ray was tremendous when PP was out starting the season. We lost those games, but we were in those games because of Ray.

Ray was averaging over 15PPG on 50% FG shooting and 61% 3PT shooting before he jammed his ankle in late January.

After he jammed his ankle Ray's efficiency dropped to 45% FG shooting and 40% 3PT shooting....still very good numbers.

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 05:59:39 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
People are so fickle.

Ray was tremendous when PP was out starting the season. We lost those games, but we were in those games because of Ray.

Ray was averaging over 15PPG on 50% FG shooting and 61% 3PT shooting before he jammed his ankle in late January.

After he jammed his ankle Ray's efficiency dropped to 45% FG shooting and 40% 3PT shooting....still very good numbers.

How was the team's offense?  How was his D and the team's D?

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2012, 06:07:04 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
People are so fickle.

How was the team's offense?  How was his D and the team's D?

the TEAM's offense has absolutely nothing to do with Ray Allen.  Nothing.  Ray's baskets are simply a product of ball movement.  When the team does that he scores, when they don't - he doesn't.

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 06:10:34 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42

With Allen starting offensive options will be slowing up again while we wait for Ray to find a screen. Bradley doesn't need a screen. KG will stop moving because he's watching Allen labor, Pierce will stop moving from watching KG watching Allen. Boring basketball back with Allen starting. Allen should tell Doc he has a good thing going here and he wouldn't mind sitting out the start. A re-sprain is our only chance.