Author Topic: Affleck in the new Batman  (Read 15778 times)

Re: Affleck in the new Batman
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 03:46:58 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
The MAIN problem with the BATMAN movies is---Batman is hardly ever actually IN the [dang] movies----they make it ALL ABOUT the Villains....even the last one----freaking CATWOMAN had to knock off Bane----HORRIBLE--!!!!
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 05:15:42 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It'll be fine. 

"Man of Steel" wasn't a great movie.  56% rotten and 55/100 on Metacritic tends to back that up.  But what it did get VERY RIGHT were the action scenes.  Superman moved and fought like you'd expect to see Superman fight.  While the movie as a whole was kind of hacky (blame Zack Snyder), it was arguably the best depiction of a comicbook-come-to-life that I've ever seen (blame Zack Snyder). So...

#1 - Expect to see the most accurate depiction of Batman's fighting style to date.  No more clunky, poorly choreographed close-up action shots.  Batman will be agile.  Batman will be athletic.  Batman will kick serious ass.  Whatever martial arts stuntman dons that costume is going to look amazing.   You're going to love it.

#2 - As much as I loved 'The Dark Knight" series, Batman often took a back seat in those movies.  He wasn't nearly as compelling as the villains.  I'd go as far as to say that in TDK, Batman was downright boring.  Heath Ledger entirely carried that film, imo.   It's a fact.  It's one of the reasons why I prefer "Batman Begins" to TDK.   The Nolan Batman movies were great, but let's not overrate the Nolan-version Batman depiction.  He was just aiight. 

#3 - Christian Bale was a solid Bruce Wayne, but I have little doubt in Ben Affleck's ability to play Bruce Wayne.  He absolutely looks the part.  He absolutely has the range and intensity.  He absolutely has the acting chops.  He gets a bad rep for some misfires, but for the most part I've enjoyed his work.  Some of his early work like Good Will Hunting, Boiler Room and Dogma were money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqDtf1aw818 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSQYRq8kf4g

He was perfectly fine in recent films he directed like "The Town" and "Argo".   

Are you really trying to tell me that this Oscar winning filmmaker isn't good enough for Zack Snyder's hacky cash-grab rushed visual-driven sequel to his "Man of Steel" live-action cartoon?  Come on.   This crap will be fine.  It certainly will not be on the level of Nolan's work... none of Snyder's work is.  In fact, this silly half-assed movie will probably get critically panned even harder than "Man of Steel".  Snyder has yet to make a critically acclaimed film.  This will not be any different...  But at the end of the day, you're going to enjoy the heck out of seeing Ben Affleck's Batman do his thing with Superman.  It will be comic panels come to life, man.  The action scenes will be worth the price of admission.  Relax.   

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 06:27:16 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Give Adam West another crack at it
Yup

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 06:32:57 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Why is everyone so down on Affleck? The dude puts up monster hit after monster hit. Look at his IMDB... he is starred in 5 of your favorite movies ever and you don't even realize it. Dude's a beast.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000255/

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 06:53:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Why is everyone so down on Affleck? The dude puts up monster hit after monster hit. Look at his IMDB... he is starred in 5 of your favorite movies ever and you don't even realize it. Dude's a beast.

Yeah.  People seem to remember him for Gigli and his J-Lo relationship, but he has been in a number of great movies and hopefully some of his brilliant directing skills will creep into the movie.  I mean I like Man of Steel, but there were obviously some real issues with it.  It was not the new Batman's or any of the Spiderman's, but it wasn't a bad movie.  They certainly need to do Batman and Superman correctly though and frankly I think Batman is going to have a very small role.  This is afterall a Superman movie, not a Batman/Superman movie.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 07:45:13 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
terrible choice for batman, terrible
Possibly better than George Clooney or Val Kilmer.....mixed feelings if Batman has a Boston accent
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:52:03 AM by eja117 »

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 08:22:04 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think it'll come down to the writing and directing moreso than Ben's acting.  He looks the part and he's a better actor than he's getting credit for here.

as eja117 pointed out, he can't be worse than Clooney or Kilmer (2 of my favorite actors) were.

Man of Steel was ok.  I think my biggest problem with the movie was that there was no humor.  the best superhero movies have had at least a few moments of humor in them to break the tension.  Although, TDK had no real humor in it but man did Heath Ledger give the performance of a lifetime (literally) in that movie.

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 08:32:56 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Possibly better than George Clooney or Val Kilmer.....mixed feelings if Batman has a Boston accent

Should have brought back Keaton.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 09:23:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

He was great, but he was far too old to reprise the role of Bruce Wayne.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 09:30:26 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yeah, I am not sure I see the problem.  I actually think Affleck is a great choice.  He looks the part, is a solid actor, and I think can pull off the charming billionaire.  There aren't many guys who I could think of who are better suited to this role.

I really hope he doesn't copy Bale's annoying whispering routine though.  That always drove me nuts. 

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2013, 10:51:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I disagree.  It depends upon what story they tell, but at Comicon I think that they quoted from The Dark Knight Returns.  In that story, Batman is 55; Keaton is 61.

Obviously, they're not going in that direction.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2013, 10:54:39 AM »

fitzhickey

I don't think Affleck will be that bad
He could probably pull of charming billionaire
He has experience playing superheroes
Although we'd all probably rather forget that abomination

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2013, 10:57:54 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I disagree.  It depends upon what story they tell, but at Comicon I think that they quoted from The Dark Knight Returns.  In that story, Batman is 55; Keaton is 61.

Obviously, they're not going in that direction.

Keaton was the man.  Loved him as Batman.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2013, 11:20:29 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I love Affleck as the choice. My initial reaction is that even though its Superman and Batman we will see a lot of more of Superman and Batman will just be a supporting character most of the time?

Maybe I am completely off in that assumption?

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2013, 11:39:18 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Superman and Batman teaming up?  I'll save you all some trouble:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FywMOuMqNuI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeT1t0lQn5Q
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:48:22 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class