Author Topic: Denver trade idea  (Read 3179 times)

Denver trade idea
« on: May 18, 2016, 05:10:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Combine our long-believed interest in Danilo Gallinari with what a lot of folks think makes the most sense to do - trade down.

Denver has picks #7 and #15. 

Gallo is set to make 15 mil next season. 

Who says no?

Boston trades #3, Amir's 12 mil unguaranteed contract, Jerebko's 5 mil unguaranteed contract for Gallo and #7.

Can you think of an alternative that makes more sense?  I'm not a huge fan of Gallo, honestly.  He missed the last 23 games of the season with injury.  But I know a lot of people think he can fill the scoring void.  I know a lot of people think picks 3-8 are about even.  And I know a lot of people think Durant is all but off the table.    By bringing in Gallo, you'd still have max cap space to sign someone like Horford and you'd be able to add an interesting rookie at #7 - or trade that pick too.

Would we need to also include #16?   #3 + #16 + #23 + #31 + #35 for Gallo, #7 and #15? 

Thoughts?

Re: Denver trade idea
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 05:16:37 PM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 487
I think 3, 35, amir and jerebko would be enough. It seems like Denver wants to embark on a youth rebuild, and moving up to 3 would allow them to do that. I dont think the best move would be to move all the later picks too. Those are basically swings of the bat. But adding Gallo and keeping a mid lotto pick and keeping cap space would be a great move.

Good idea lar, tp.
#JKJB

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 05:19:19 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff
What about a similar idea with the kings to solve the rim protection issue? Say demarcus is off the table, would they take 3, 31, 35, Hunter and young and filler for WCS and 8? We could still grab a Hield or someone of that caliber while solving the rim protection aspect. Then we try to add a scorer in free agency, maybe swing for barnes? Idk.
#JKJB

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 05:22:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
What about a similar idea with the kings to solve the rim protection issue? Say demarcus is off the table, would they take 3, 31, 35, Hunter and young and filler for WCS and 8? We could still grab a Hield or someone of that caliber while solving the rim protection aspect. Then we try to add a scorer in free agency, maybe swing for barnes? Idk.
Not a bad idea

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 05:24:17 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2407
Losing Amir and Jerebko is hard. I reckon Gallo is about equal to them in value by themselves. I mean, on-court value as players. Not trade value. Amir is quite important to our interior defense. Our only plus interior defender. Jerebko a useful utility player. Gallo provides some scoring but is lacking in other areas and is injury prone.

That is before the picks are included. I do not much about the players expected to be available around #15 so it's hard for me to say how valuable that extra pick is versus the loss in value from #3 to #7. I would be inclined to keep #3 and make sure you get your top target rather than whoever is left on the board at #7.

I do not think there is enough value here to do this deal. I am not high enough on Gallinari or that extra #15 draft pick.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 05:41:55 PM by Who »

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 05:39:46 PM »

Offline timriffic

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
i like it , but instead of adding hortford we  trade   for okafor
denvers  #7 our  #16 and a filler

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 05:43:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Losing Amir and Jerebko is hard. I reckon Gallo is about equal to them in value by themselves. I mean, on-court value as players. Not trade value. Amir is quite important to our interior defense. Our only plus interior defender. Jerebko a useful utility player. Gallo provides some scoring but is lacking in other areas and is injury prone.

That is before the picks are included. I do not much about the players expected to be available around #15 so it's hard for me to say how valuable that extra pick is versus the loss in value from #3 to #7. I would be inclined to keep #3 and make sure you get your top target rather than whoever is left on the board at #7.

I do not think there is enough value here to do this deal. I am not high enough on Gallinari or that extra #15 draft pick.
Losing Amir/Jerebko isn't hard if you're signing someone like Horford and trading for a player like Gallo. 

Also just keep in mind that Amir and Jerebko are gone if we decide to use double-max cap space.  We'd have to renounce their 17 million in contracts to free up the necessary space.  Simply by trying Amir+Jerebko for Gallo, we'd no longer have double-max cap space.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 05:44:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
i like it , but instead of adding hortford we  trade   for okafor
denvers  #7 our  #16 and a filler

Ok... so #3 + Amir + Jerebko for Gallo and #7

#7, #16, #31, #35, Rozier for Okafor (overpay or major underpay depending on who you ask)

And we'd still have cap space to offer a max contract to someone like DeRozan or Horford.

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 05:52:01 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff
Is Philly really in all that different a situation than ours? It seems like since they are getting their franchise player they will want to build, not sell off young players for more unproven assets? I doubt okafor is moved for picks outside that top tier of pg prospects
#JKJB

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 05:54:55 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I think the op's idea is very realistic.

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 05:56:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Is Philly really in all that different a situation than ours? It seems like since they are getting their franchise player they will want to build, not sell off young players for more unproven assets? I doubt okafor is moved for picks outside that top tier of pg prospects
They should just trade Okafor for D'Angelo Russell.

They have enough bigs in Embiid (presumably), Noel at center and Simmons, Saric at PF.   They don't just need one trade, they need multiple.   Like, move Okafor for Russell.  And then move Noel for someone like Marcus Smart.   That cleans things up and balances out their roster. 

And the Lakers can just keep Jordan Clarkson at PG, draft Ingram, and have a matador defense inside of Julius Randle and Jahlil Okafor.

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 05:59:39 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff
That lakers team would get utterly abused in the interior. But man they could score.

I wonder what it would take to get embiid away from them?
#JKJB

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 06:00:09 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
It's an interesting idea, Lar, and one that Danny should explore. However, I'd like to stay at #3 and make the pick.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 06:00:48 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

As far as I can tell, WCS is virtually untouchable.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 06:15:38 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Great trade idea. Send it to Ainge.  D.G isnt a huge acquisition but hes a starter who makes our team absolutly better than last year. Well worth moving down a few spots if Ainge thinks 3-10 are all the same