Author Topic: Cs Offseaon by the numbers  (Read 6057 times)

Cs Offseaon by the numbers
« on: June 29, 2012, 11:50:41 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Now that the draft is over I was looking at the potential roster for next season.

From earlier reports I believe the free cap number is around $26 million dollars with the Cs holding bird rights to the following

KG
Ray
Pietrus
Steimsma
Dooling
Bass
j Green
Kristic
Daniels
Pavlovich

The first big deal of the off season is the resigning of KG.I expect him to come back for a 2yr 20mill deal.

Free Cap space 16 Mill

The next move will be either the resigning of Ray or the rumored S&T of Bass for OJ Mayo. I would expect either to get payed between 4-5 mill per year.

Free Cap space 11 Mill

The next move I expect is the resigning of Jeff Green. He was previously signed for 1 yr 9 mill. I expect the new deal to be for 1yr 7.5 mill.

Free Cap space 3.5 Mill

Now this is where the real questions start with only 3.5 mill left free and a huge need at starting center (KG doesn't want to be the starting C). What do the celtics do?

roster would look like this

PG Rondo, Moore
SG AB, OJ/Ray
SF Pierce, Green, K Joseph
PF KG, Sullinger, JJJ
C  ______, S Williams, Melo

This roster is void of a starting center.

The first option is to bring back Steimsma, Pietrus, Bass (if not traded for OJ) and Dooling on short deals and go over the cap for next season.

The second option is to try to find a S&T using the above mentioned players.

The third option is to use the 3.5 on a FA center.

In my opinion the best bet might be to try to sign Steimsma to a decent contract 2yr 3-4 mill and then try to trade him and either a future pick or JJJ for a starting caliber center.

S&T for

Kaman?
Asik? (unlikely)

trade
Zaza?
Darko?

best case we S&T for Kaman.

We can then use the amnesty list and vet minimum contracts to fill out the roster.

PG Rondo, Moore, Dooling (or other vet for min?)
SG AB, OJ/Ray, Daniels (for min?)
SF Pierce, Green, K Joseph
PF KG, Sullinger, JJJ
C  Kaman, S Williams, Melo

with Sullinger as the primary 5/4 backup, Green as the 3/4 backup and a three guard rotation this team will have great depth.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 01:27:14 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Cs Offseaon by the numbers
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 12:04:12 PM »

Offline 33-00-32

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 2746
  • 2012 PAPTBG & 2013 PAPOUG CHAMPION
Best case is sign KG for less than $20m or $10m per. I know he's worth it but if he wants to compete he may have to give a little bit more for the good of the team.
G:Kemba,Payton,Hairston,Henderson,Lin
F:Parker,MKG,Budinger,Mirotic,Salmons
C:R.Lopez,Biyombo,Hickson
Coach: Shaka Smart
Rights to: Bog Bog

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 12:11:17 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Does anyone know what Jeff Green's cap hold is? Since he didn't play last year I don't expect it to be very high. If this is the case I think they wait until the end of free agency to officially sign him, because this would allow us to go over the cap to sign him.

I think in your scenario we sign Camby to a one year deal at around 3.5. Then use our room exception (MLE for teams that are under the cap at one point during the offseason) to sign Jamal Crawford. I think we bring back Wilcox using bird rights, give Pietrus a 20% raise from the min and roll with that. To me that team is much better than this years version that made a deep run.

1-Rondo, Crawford, Moore
2- Avery, OJ, Pietrus
3- Pierce, Green,
4- KG, Sullinger, Wilcox JJJ
5- Camby, Stiemsma, Melo
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 12:12:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Now that the picture of is a little more clear , as to who can or will be part of the team .... if Ray & Kevin want to make a serious run for #18 ...maybe they will be negotiable money wise to allow another FA like Camby to come in and help and still retain Pietrus and Wilcox. ???

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 12:20:05 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Does anyone know what Jeff Green's cap hold is? Since he didn't play last year I don't expect it to be very high. If this is the case I think they wait until the end of free agency to officially sign him, because this would allow us to go over the cap to sign him.

~$11M according to shamsports (http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/celtics.jsp)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Assuming shampsorts is correct (very reliable in my opinion), the Cs can get pretty creative this offseason.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/celtics.jsp

Cs can offer "big" money to KG, Ray Allen, Krstic, Jeff Green, Bass either in a S&T or on a "short" deal to exploit the current window.

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 12:36:15 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Celtics released Wilcox (to sign Williams), so I don't think they have his Bird Rights anymore.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 01:27:27 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
edited
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 11:26:47 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
"Cs can offer "big" money to KG, Ray Allen, Krstic, Jeff Green, Bass"

Call me silly, but I'm not even sure I'd want to bring Bass back. I think Sullinger could be his equal by the end of the regular season, but not if he is the third PF off the bench. Curious about what we have in JJJ as well.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
"Cs can offer "big" money to KG, Ray Allen, Krstic, Jeff Green, Bass"

Call me silly, but I'm not even sure I'd want to bring Bass back. I think Sullinger could be his equal by the end of the regular season, but not if he is the third PF off the bench. Curious about what we have in JJJ as well.

I agree with Bass being expendable and not worth the contract he is likely to receive.

I think Sullinger from day 1 will be a better rebounder then Bass and on par with him defensively. In a season or two I expect him to be as good or better offensive player.

If JJJ shows progress in the summer league (both physically and defensively) then he could be a factor in this rotation. The resigning of Green and an improvement by JJJ would make this team much more athletic.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 09:52:19 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
$7.5 million seems to be a lot of money for a guy who missed the entire season with a heart issue and who when he played the previous year was not overly impressive.

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 09:58:09 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
$7.5 million seems to be a lot of money for a guy who missed the entire season with a heart issue and who when he played the previous year was not overly impressive.

I believe his qualifying offer is 7.2 mill so he will at least get that from the Cs if they are to retain his bird rights.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 10:39:54 AM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
With this deal to KG and the QO to Stiemsma (nobody is taking him from us, let's be real), we are at this roster right now:

PG: Rondo, Moore
SG: Bradley
SF: Pierce, Joseph
PF: Sullinger, Johnson
C: Garnett, Stiemsma, Melo

That leaves roster spots for five more guys through free agency. Obviously, Moore could be a SG or KG could be listed at PF, but realistically that's our best starting lineup right now. Does any cap guru want to calculate how much money we have left if KG is getting 34 over 3 and Stiemsma gets his qualifying offer?
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 11:45:49 AM »

Offline drax

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
$30.9 M: Rondo, Pierce, Bradley, JJJ
$11 M: KG
$0.7 M: Moore
$2.2 M: Sullinger, Melo
$1.0 M: Stiemsma (qualifing money, guess he wants more)

~ $45.8 M

My estimated salary so far. I think this is correct but im not a cap guru.

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 08:22:23 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
..Does any cap guru want to calculate how much money we have left if KG is getting 34 over 3 and Stiemsma gets his qualifying offer?

using the 26 Million total that was previously reported. The Cs are currently left with around 14 mill. If Ray excepts the 6mill offer and Green excepts his qualifying offer 7.2 that takes care of any free space.

I believe we are then left with the mini mid-level exemption 3mill? and resigning bird right players and possibly sign and trading them.

Assuming the following
the roster is the following
Pg RR
SG AB (out till dec), Ray, Moore
SF PP, J Green, K Joseph
PF KG, Sully, JJJ
C  Steimsma, Melo

eliminating the inexperienced youth from the rotation after AB is back the rotation looks like this. Starting doesn't matter, I expect Green and AB to get more minutes than ray, PP, or KG. Also between JJJ and sully I expect one to crack the rotation by mid season but im not counting on it.

PG   RR
SG   Ray
SF   PP
PF   KG
C    ??? 
6th  J Green
7th  AB
8th  Steimsma
9th  ??? (2/3)
10th ??? (PG)

Issue #1
Starting Big along side KG. The biggest thing here is KG's willingness to stay at Center.
I see our big man options as follows
  1. resign Bass (no more then 2 yrs, KG stays at C)
  2. S&T Bass for PF
     per rumors Pacers,Nets,Mavs,Heat,Knicks and Hawks interested
       Pacers, Hansbourgh
       Nets,   Humphries
       Mavs,   Ian Mahinmi (center)
       Heat,   Anthony (center)
       Knicks, none
       Hawks,  Z Pachulia (center)
  3. try to use mini exception 3mill
       1. Camby (could get more $$ else ware)
       2. K Brown
       3. N Mohamed
  4. Resign
       1. Wilcox
       2. Kristic
  5. Ideal but I cant see it happening
       1. Kaman
       2. Hawes

My best case out of the likely scenarios would be getting Camby to sign for 3mill after that bringing back either Bass, Wilcox or Kristic.

Issue #2
I think the next pressing need is going to be filling the 2/3 spot and the back up PG. This is particularly important with AB being reported out till Dec and Moore being the only back up at 1 or 2.
  options
      1. Its being reported the Cs are trying to get Jason Terry. I just cant see this working out, I expect him to get more $$ and minutes from other teams.
      2. Try a younger option as a scoring pg
          a. Patty Mills
      3. Resign Dooling
For the 2/3 off the bench I think this will come down to
      1. Piertus
      2. Daniels

I expect the Cs to settle for Dooling and Pietrus returning to the Cs on 1yr deals.

leaving us with

PG   RR
SG   Ray
SF   PP
PF   KG
C    Camby 
6th  J Green
7th  AB
8th  Steimsma
9th  Pietrus
10th Dooling
11th Sully