Author Topic: The Green Kornet  (Read 2085 times)

The Green Kornet
« on: May 08, 2024, 10:51:57 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm not sure if there's a recent existing thread, but give it up for Luke.  People who didn't watch the game may not appreciate his impact, but his presence reversed a huge Cleveland run and allowed us to regain control of the game.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: The Green Kornet
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 10:56:23 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
This is a good thread, because as you say for those of us who are following via box scores & highlights, the game doesn't read as ever being particularly close.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 11:13:56 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
This is a good thread, because as you say for those of us who are following via box scores & highlights, the game doesn't read as ever being particularly close.

It was early.  We started the game up 10-2, and then Cleveland turned things around, taking the lead at 23-21.  So, a 21 - 11 run.  Joe called a timeout, inserted Kornet, and we immediately started to rebuild the lead.  More importantly, the defense visibly started to play harder.  Kornet came in and blocked a couple of shots, and from there, we were +11 through the end of the quarter.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 11:52:12 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2559
Kudos to Kornet.  I've liked Luke for a while and thought he was getting a bad rap here early in the season.  That said, I'm wrong as often as I'm right about these things, so not really a pat on my back for recognizing Luke's value.  He's improved throughout the year and has really settled into being an effective defensive presence/ shot-blocker, as well as an solid offensive rebounder, decent passer, finisher at the rim - and knows his role on offense.  Additionally, an excellent FT shooter.  Luke is likely a competent shooter in general but, again, knows his role. 

Yes, he was a difference maker last night!  I think Joe should consider starting him and letting Al continue with his bench role  and assuring that Al stays rested/not overworked with KP out.   

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 12:16:06 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887

It was early.  We started the game up 10-2, and then Cleveland turned things around, taking the lead at 23-21.  So, a 21 - 11 run.  Joe called a timeout, inserted Kornet, and we immediately started to rebuild the lead.  More importantly, the defense visibly started to play harder.  Kornet came in and blocked a couple of shots, and from there, we were +11 through the end of the quarter.

So an in game coaching adjustment that worked?

Regarding Kornet, absolutely, he provide valuable minutes.  He has been decent all season, really for two seasons, but I was not expecting this quantity or quality of play from him in the playoffs.  He was better than decent.  He just seems to understand his role, plays within his role and within his ability.  I am not sure CLE was ready for him.  They didn't seem to know how to attack his weaknesses, as other teams have been able to do.  They eventually did start to post up Mobley, and he got some buckets, but it was much too little, much too late at that point.

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2024, 12:31:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

So an in game coaching adjustment that worked?

Regarding Kornet, absolutely, he provide valuable minutes.  He has been decent all season, really for two seasons, but I was not expecting this quantity or quality of play from him in the playoffs.  He was better than decent.  He just seems to understand his role, plays within his role and within his ability.  I am not sure CLE was ready for him.  They didn't seem to know how to attack his weaknesses, as other teams have been able to do.  They eventually did start to post up Mobley, and he got some buckets, but it was much too little, much too late at that point.

Yes, it was a good timeout and a good substitution.  Joe refocused the team on defense, and put Luke into the game as an inside presence.  I don't want to turn this into a "Joe" thread, but his coaching -- other than MIA G2 and his inexplicable decision to allow KP to play through a leg injury -- has been good. 

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2024, 12:53:38 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Kornet came to us as an average 3 point shooting big man...Somebody had him change his game and take advantage of his height...Brilliant move.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2024, 12:58:00 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 432
Kornet played great last night as did Payton
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2024, 01:56:44 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
I'll also give him credit for actually playing Bam really well last round in the limited minutes. I was in awe, he defended and handled Bam better than KP, Horford, Timelord, etc. in the past lol
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2024, 03:43:14 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
Luke played well. For some centers, the bigger wringer ones I think both Luke and Tillman are better match up’s that Porzingis or Horford.

Luke has elite height and length - and Tillman has good length and strength and can up under bigger bodies.

Has anyone noticed/thought that Luke also looks generally thicker/strkneger from head to toe this season. When he first came it seemed like he had more beanpole type legs.

It looks like he’s worked really hard to get stronger all around.

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2024, 05:00:30 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
Luke played well. For some centers, the bigger wringer ones I think both Luke and Tillman are better match up’s that Porzingis or Horford.

Luke has elite height and length - and Tillman has good length and strength and can up under bigger bodies.

Has anyone noticed/thought that Luke also looks generally thicker/strkneger from head to toe this season. When he first came it seemed like he had more beanpole type legs.

It looks like he’s worked really hard to get stronger all around.

Haven’t noticed size but I have noticed improvement throughout the year.  His coordination is good. His timing is good. If he was younger I’d say he could be a really good backup C over the next few years (after Al is gone), but this may be his ceiling. But it’s only age (28) that suggests he’s in his prime. His progress makes me think he could be better still.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 05:31:44 PM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2024, 05:20:56 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1503
I'll also give him credit for actually playing Bam really well last round in the limited minutes. I was in awe, he defended and handled Bam better than KP, Horford, Timelord, etc. in the past lol

I think the def on Bam in those last 2? games was really a breakthrough moment.  You could see that Bam didn’t attack Luke the same way as he did Horford.  Bam didn’t seem to want to challenge Luke at the rim.  I was kind of shocked but in a great way. 

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2024, 05:38:08 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
Couple other compliments to Luke. He’s always alert and he’s got good court awareness. Quick to spot and feed teammates in the lane and off rebounds. He knows when to go to the hoop and has good hands receiving passes inside.  If he was asked to shoot, I think he’d shoot well.  Overall, I think he’s better than Rob - and I really liked Rob.  Rob had higher ceiling, but won’t reach it.

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2024, 06:55:45 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Luke has been an excellent off-ball/team defender for the past couple of seasons. He’s one of the best shot blockers in the league. His ability to defend on drives is off the charts.

Quick guards think that they can get around him or sneak one past him and, more times than not, he stays with them and erases their shot, it’s remarkable.

Now, he’s taken it to another level, where he’s holding his ground as an on-ball defender and combining it with strong rebounding and finisher. Tillman was brought in to compete to be the third Big and Luke’s play has kept him at bay.

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2024, 07:34:35 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
I would expect the Cavs to counter Kornet's minutes with Morris or Niang to try to stretch the floor and attack his lack of speed.

That's what I would do. The response to that would be Horford/Tillman playing more minutes, or one of the starters playing up to small-ball "center".

It's not a perfect solution, but it would force the Cs to play differently than they are used to, and it might open up the offense more for Garland and Mitchell.