Author Topic: Hello From Ireland  (Read 15941 times)

Hello From Ireland
« on: January 16, 2021, 11:19:47 AM »

Offline 100% Celt

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 25
Hi,

I've just this minute signed up to the forum. I'm a relatively new basketball fan so I apologise in advance if some of the questions I will inevitably ask here are stupid or if my understanding of the game is naive (also excuse my spelling which will inevitably be European English). As pointed out in the thread title, I'm from a "non-basketball" country, Ireland (actually I'm originally from Wales, another Celtic nation - so I still qualify as 100% Celt  ;) - particularly as, and not looking for argument on this or to provoke, but "British" is not something I consider myself to be). My family is pretty much all Irish though including my mother, wife and kid and I've lived in Ireland for years so I can rationally be described as being as much Irish as Welsh. I have watched Christmas Day NBA games on and off over the years because there's no sport here on 25th December but this year the Celtics happened to be on TV which caught my eye and seemed like a natural team for me to follow given my background and from there (albeit only a couple of weeks - that said, when I adopt a team in a new sport it's always for life) I've been pretty hooked.

P.S. My avatar is a bwca, basically the Welsh version of a leprechuan which I thought was fitting (link to image https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/mythology/images/e/ea/Knocker.jpg if anyone wants to see it in a bigger size).

Re: Hello From Ireland
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 11:24:12 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Welcome and your first Tommy Point!

My wife and I are planning a trip to Ireland in the fall.  Good idea?

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 12:20:08 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Hi,

I've just this minute signed up to the forum. I'm a relatively new basketball fan so I apologise in advance if some of the questions I will inevitably ask here are stupid or if my understanding of the game is naive (also excuse my spelling which will inevitably be European English). As pointed out in the thread title, I'm from a "non-basketball" country, Ireland (actually I'm originally from Wales, another Celtic nation - so I still qualify as 100% Celt  ;) - particularly as, and not looking for argument on this or to provoke, but "British" is not something I consider myself to be). My family is pretty much all Irish though including my mother, wife and kid and I've lived in Ireland for years so I can rationally be described as being as much Irish as Welsh. I have watched Christmas Day NBA games on and off over the years because there's no sport here on 25th December but this year the Celtics happened to be on TV which caught my eye and seemed like a natural team for me to follow given my background and from there (albeit only a couple of weeks - that said, when I adopt a team in a new sport it's always for life) I've been pretty hooked.

P.S. My avatar is a bwca, basically the Welsh version of a leprechuan which I thought was fitting (link to image https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/mythology/images/e/ea/Knocker.jpg if anyone wants to see it in a bigger size).

A big hearty welcome to you!   I think you've chosen a great place to learn more about basketball and the Celtics.  Beware that there's some quick reflex negativity at times when things go bad -- even in the midst of games.   The negative commentaries are all about love for the team -- everyone here (few trolls excepting) is passionate about the team and deeply want them to win championships. Some are incredibly knowledgeable about the game as well.  I say "some" because those like me are more fans than basketball savants, and our opinions are formed from our less technical observations of what we see. But you'll see that some will really help you to learn more about the game.  Don't be afraid to ask questions.  There are old guys and gals like me here and lots of young and in betweeners and you may find some interesting non-basketball topics too.  Join the Game Threads if you can for live reactions to the games.  Lots of good commentary and the Game Thread author FlCeltsFan always puts together a great read in her preview.

Glad to have you with us and glad we have a true Celtic on board. 

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 12:38:50 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Welcome aboard mate! Mon the Hoops!

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 12:49:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Welcome!  Which part of Ireland?

My ancestors are from Cork, and I’ve spent a few months in both Cork and Dublin.  It’s definitely where I hope to retire to.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 01:38:41 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
A real Celt makes Celtics Strong stronger!

Welcome
Yup

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 01:53:29 PM »

Offline 100% Celt

• The Green Kornet

Thank you. Here at that time of year it's probably a little cooler than it would be in Boston and maybe wetter (though Ireland at any time has a high chance of rain). That said, in recent years we tend to get our best weather late Spring and early Autumn and September can often be much better weather-wise than June, July and August. One thing you must do though is to not go solely to Dublin. Going to Dublin to visit Ireland would be like going to New York or Washington to visit the USA (I imagine, I've never been over the Atlantic). The real Ireland is in places like Kilkenny, Galway, Cork, Kerry and you shouldn't be put off going to Belfast either because it's a great city. I go there very regularly and although I tend to stay in certain areas of it, I have visited "the other side", never had a problem and always found it interesting. If you want any advice on particular areas, please let me know.

Really stupid question but why is it called a Tommy Point? Because of Heinsohn?

A big hearty welcome to you!   I think you've chosen a great place to learn more about basketball and the Celtics.  Beware that there's some quick reflex negativity at times when things go bad -- even in the midst of games.   The negative commentaries are all about love for the team -- everyone here (few trolls excepting) is passionate about the team and deeply want them to win championships. Some are incredibly knowledgeable about the game as well.  I say "some" because those like me are more fans than basketball savants, and our opinions are formed from our less technical observations of what we see. But you'll see that some will really help you to learn more about the game.  Don't be afraid to ask questions.  There are old guys and gals like me here and lots of young and in betweeners and you may find some interesting non-basketball topics too.  Join the Game Threads if you can for live reactions to the games.  Lots of good commentary and the Game Thread author FlCeltsFan always puts together a great read in her preview.

Thanks. I understand the reflex negativity, my first sporting love is Inter (soccer) and I often get completely irrational when things don't go right. My technical knowledge of sport is restricted to soccer, rugby (both codes) and hurling but it fascinates me to learn about other sports. I've noticed a few other topics which interest me too, particularly the thread on pride in country which I have to say is a very refreshing discussion as the vast majority of posts there reflect on the greyness of the issue and I firmly agree that black and white (in terms of hue of the issue, absolutely nothing else intended) thinking on country isn't the way to go. I'm very proud of both Wales and Ireland but at the same time am fully aware of the warts both have, which are many and the fact that other countries have wonderful things to offer too. I'm going to reply there but want to think about what I want to say first. I will be around for live threads and hope my questions won't be too dumb!

Cheers. Gone a bit downhill this season and the ten is gone sadly though the quadruple treble will always be something special for Celtic fans to sing about!

My ancestors are from Cork, and I’ve spent a few months in both Cork and Dublin.  It’s definitely where I hope to retire to.

Thanks. Kilkenny so a big rival of Cork when it comes to hurling!  ;)

Welcome

Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 02:22:57 PM by 100% Celt »

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 03:08:13 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Looks like you haven’t had an answer about Tommy Points so here you go.  Yeah, “Tommy Points” were actually coined by Tommy Heihnson himself - awarded on Celtics broadcasts by Heinsohn for plays made during games that were great hustle/ effort plays.  I think maybe you know who Heinsohn was but the quick synopsis is hall of fame Celtics player from the 50s - 60s, Celtics championship winning coach in the 70s (74 and 76), and NBA/Celtics TV broadcaster/ analyst for 30+ years right up to his death just a few months ago.  He was a legend, beloved, greatly missed.  The moderators adopted Tommy Points many years ago for posters to use to acknowledge others for any reason.

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 04:44:21 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Welcome to the greatest Celtics forums on the internet! My Mom's side of our family is of Welsh decent—her maiden name was Brann, which is probably a variant of Brown/Braun.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 04:45:26 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Thank you. Here at that time of year it's probably a little cooler than it would be in Boston and maybe wetter (though Ireland at any time has a high chance of rain). That said, in recent years we tend to get our best weather late Spring and early Autumn and September can often be much better weather-wise than June, July and August. One thing you must do though is to not go solely to Dublin. Going to Dublin to visit Ireland would be like going to New York or Washington to visit the USA (I imagine, I've never been over the Atlantic). The real Ireland is in places like Kilkenny, Galway, Cork, Kerry and you shouldn't be put off going to Belfast either because it's a great city. I go there very regularly and although I tend to stay in certain areas of it, I have visited "the other side", never had a problem and always found it interesting. If you want any advice on particular areas, please let me know.

Really stupid question but why is it called a Tommy Point? Because of Heinsohn?

Thanks. I understand the reflex negativity, my first sporting love is Inter (soccer) and I often get completely irrational when things don't go right. My technical knowledge of sport is restricted to soccer, rugby (both codes) and hurling but it fascinates me to learn about other sports. I've noticed a few other topics which interest me too, particularly the thread on pride in country which I have to say is a very refreshing discussion as the vast majority of posts there reflect on the greyness of the issue and I firmly agree that black and white (in terms of hue of the issue, absolutely nothing else intended) thinking on country isn't the way to go. I'm very proud of both Wales and Ireland but at the same time am fully aware of the warts both have, which are many and the fact that other countries have wonderful things to offer too. I'm going to reply there but want to think about what I want to say first. I will be around for live threads and hope my questions won't be too dumb!

Cheers. Gone a bit downhill this season and the ten is gone sadly though the quadruple treble will always be something special for Celtic fans to sing about!

Thanks. Kilkenny so a big rival of Cork when it comes to hurling!  ;)

Welcome

Cheers!
Welcome to the forums! Glad to see a football fan who (presumably) likes Mourinho here :laugh:, hope you guys win the Scudetto this year.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 04:54:58 AM »

Offline Celtics Mike

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 237
Welcome I am another Celt originally from Scotland. I previously worked in Dublin at DCU and in Cork at the Tyndall National Institute, formerly the NMRC. I am now settled in Japan. Please enjoy Celtics basketball.

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 05:12:32 AM »

Offline Celtics Mike

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 237

My Japanese wife also wants to retire to Ireland. We lived in Middleton, County Cork and regularly enjoyed an Irish Coffee at the Distillery Cafe opposite our home.

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 10:39:25 AM »

Offline 100% Celt

• The Green Kornet
Looks like you haven’t had an answer about Tommy Points so here you go.  Yeah, “Tommy Points” were actually coined by Tommy Heihnson himself - awarded on Celtics broadcasts by Heinsohn for plays made during games that were great hustle/ effort plays.  I think maybe you know who Heinsohn was but the quick synopsis is hall of fame Celtics player from the 50s - 60s, Celtics championship winning coach in the 70s (74 and 76), and NBA/Celtics TV broadcaster/ analyst for 30+ years right up to his death just a few months ago.  He was a legend, beloved, greatly missed.  The moderators adopted Tommy Points many years ago for posters to use to acknowledge others for any reason.

Thank you. I was aware of Heinsohn though I didn't know a lot of what you have written about him.

Welcome to the greatest Celtics forums on the internet! My Mom's side of our family is of Welsh decent—her maiden name was Brann, which is probably a variant of Brown/Braun.

If your mother's maiden name was of Welsh heritage, it's probable that it is actually an Anglicisation of brân. It would make sense as the double n would point to the fact that the ending is longer than in the word "bran". The accent over the a in brân serves the purpose of elongating the sound in the Welsh language (a completely different language to English - as different as say Russian to English). From Welsh mythology there is Brân the Blessed, a giant and a king. The word brân is usually translated to mean crow or raven and the feminine version of Brân, Brânwen, would be common enough in Wales particularly among first language Welsh (Cymraeg) families.

Welcome to the forums! Glad to see a football fan who (presumably) likes Mourinho here :laugh:, hope you guys win the Scudetto this year.

I love Mou. I'd have him back in a heartbeat. Sadly I can't see us winning anything with Conte. I'm in two minds whether to even watch the game this evening as I'm expecting it to be far too painful. Do you support a "Mourinho team"?

If your mother's maiden name was of Welsh heritage, it's probable that it is actually an Anglicisation of brân. It would make sense as the double n would point to the fact that the ending is longer than in the word "bran". The accent over the a in brân serves the purpose of elongating the sound in the Welsh language (a completely different language to English - as different as say Russian to English). From Welsh mythology there is Brân the Blessed, a giant and a king. The word brân is usually translated to mean crow or raven and the feminine version of Brân, Brânwen, would be common enough in Wales particularly among first language Welsh (Cymraeg) families.

I love Mou. I'd have him back in a heartbeat. Sadly I can't see us winning anything with Conte. I'm in two minds whether to even watch the game this evening as I'm expecting it to be far too painful. Do you support a "Mourinho team"?

Welcome I am another Celt originally from Scotland. I previously worked in Dublin at DCU and in Cork at the Tyndall National Institute, formerly the NMRC. I am now settled in Japan. Please enjoy Celtics basketball.

Where in Scotland? I know as far up as Perth reasonably well. Did you manage to catch the Big Yin special on over the Christmas? It was his last ever public appearance  :'(.

My Japanese wife also wants to retire to Ireland. We lived in Middleton, County Cork and regularly enjoyed an Irish Coffee at the Distillery Cafe opposite our home.

Never actually visited the distillery in Midleton. Must do sometime. I like Cork though (apart from the team  ;))

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 10:50:28 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Hi,

Welcome to the forum and our team. TP for you. Feel free to ask any questions as you get more familiar with the sport. Beware of a few trolls that linger here as they will surely try to push buttons to get a rise. For the most part, everyone here are great fans and loyal as it gets.  My wife is From Europe and do enjoy my trips overseas.

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 11:18:53 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Hi,

Welcome and have a TP for joining! My sister's boyfriend is Irish, he's from Donegal.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D