Author Topic: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith!!!  (Read 38220 times)

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith!!!
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2020, 10:41:35 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
As applies to all the bench guys, he will learn to play his tail off on defense and this will get him minutes and get him shots.

The Celtics have needed a confident and effective scorer off the bench for a couple of years now and Nesmith has a chance to play his way into it.

All of the good stuff comes from great defense creating offensive opportunities and that is all he is going to see and hear once he shows up in town.

All those big pictures of ancient basketball players lining the walls with title after title won because they wanted it more than the guy they were covering.

Man, I hope he can come off the bench and hit some shots, that would be monstah!

« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2020, 10:59:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Coach allen - excellent breakdown regarding Nesmith shooting form. From the minute details as to why he is a top calibre shooter.  I cant wait to see this in nba games. He is going to open up space for the other guys

https://youtu.be/o7Wl2_GyId4

« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2020, 01:48:45 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Coach allen - excellent breakdown regarding Nesmith shooting form. From the minute details as to why he is a top calibre shooter.  I cant wait to see this in nba games. He is going to open up space for the other guys

this is something we have desperately needed for a while. Glad we got someone with size who is lights out shooter

Spread the floor for tatum who finds himself suffocated when driving in the paint at times. Put nesmith at the elbow and the jays at opposite corners.  Can’t wait 

« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2020, 02:05:12 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

this is something we have desperately needed for a while. Glad we got someone with size who is lights out shooter

Spread the floor for tatum who finds himself suffocated when driving in the paint at times. Put nesmith at the elbow and the jays at opposite corners.  Can’t wait
Especially if Tatum’s passing improvement he showed in the playoffs is continued
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2020, 02:16:24 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Isiah Thomas and Dennis Scott both had Nesmith as the rookie they most wanted to see on NBATV's "NBA Draft: Next Steps" tonight.

« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2020, 05:47:33 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'm starting to talk myself into Nesmith. I'm doing the typical fan thing where I'm starting to wonder if he has some star potential.

I've put on the green-tinted glasses.
- He can't create his own shot.
- He can't create shots for his teammates.
- He's a good team defender. He may not be explosive enough to become a good on-ball defender.
- Obviously, he's an elite shooter. He thrives playing of the ball.

Seems like a role player to me. If so, can you name a role player who became a star? Only player that comes to mind is Klay Thompson.

Here's hoping he's the next Klay Thompson!  8) 8)
Uhhh Reggie Miller? He had a below average handle, wasn't particularly explosive or strong for a wing of his size and wasn't a great passer. He was the opposite of Nesmith on defence though - feisty man defender but a mixed bag as a team defender.
Fair shout.

Reggie has an assist/turnover ratio of 1.76 (=3/1.7) for his career. That's an impressive number for someone playing off the ball. He wasn't a great passer, but he wasn't bad either.

Nesmith's respective number for last season was 0.53 (=0.9/1.7). His career average in college was 0.81 (=1.3/1.6).

That being said, here's hoping that Nesmith is the next Klay or the next Reggie! 8) 8)

A more realistic comp may be Duncan Robinson. Nesmith is a better defender. Robinson is a better passer. Not all players can become stars. Still, that's an immensely useful player!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 05:56:53 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2020, 05:56:26 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I'm starting to talk myself into Nesmith. I'm doing the typical fan thing where I'm starting to wonder if he has some star potential.

- He's a good team defender. He may not be explosive enough to become a good on-ball defender.

Seems like a role player to me. If so, can you name a role player who became a star? Only player that comes to mind is Klay Thompson.

Here's hoping he's the next Klay hompson!  8) 8)

I mean 24 points a game would suggest he can create his own shot. But I do get what you mean.
I believe KOC summed it up perfectly: ''He can take 1-2 dribbles and create for himself a little bit on the perimeter playing off of others''. Here's his whole take on Nesmith.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfdnYIIsQnE&t=25m29s

there are a lot of role players that become stars..... almost all players begin as role players.
It's one thing to be a role player cause you are a rookie and it's a whole nother thing to possess all the characteristics of a role player. I'm talking about the latter. Can you name a wing player who cannot create shots for himself or for his teammates, yet he became a star? Only example I can think of is Klay Thompson. He's basically the ultimate 3+D player. I mean, the guy once scored 60 points on 11 dribbles!
There are many instances of something you didn't mention - players drafted with all the apparent properties of being a role player who then develop skills that enable them to exceed that
Such as?

He's a very limited ball handler, plus he has tunnel vision. I can't imagine him ever becoming a comfortable shot creator.

Don't get me wrong, I'm OK with the pick. I just view him as a 3+D type of prospect. 3+D guys aren't stars. They are role players (again, with one notable exception).

The exception we presume is Kawhi Leonard (who didn't even have the three as part of his game when he was drafted)
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2020, 06:11:31 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

I mean 24 points a game would suggest he can create his own shot. But I do get what you mean.
I believe KOC summed it up perfectly: ''He can take 1-2 dribbles and create for himself a little bit on the perimeter playing off of others''. Here's his whole take on Nesmith.

there are a lot of role players that become stars..... almost all players begin as role players.
It's one thing to be a role player cause you are a rookie and it's a whole nother thing to possess all the characteristics of a role player. I'm talking about the latter. Can you name a wing player who cannot create shots for himself or for his teammates, yet he became a star? Only example I can think of is Klay Thompson. He's basically the ultimate 3+D player. I mean, the guy once scored 60 points on 11 dribbles!
There are many instances of something you didn't mention - players drafted with all the apparent properties of being a role player who then develop skills that enable them to exceed that
Such as?

He's a very limited ball handler, plus he has tunnel vision. I can't imagine him ever becoming a comfortable shot creator.

Don't get me wrong, I'm OK with the pick. I just view him as a 3+D type of prospect. 3+D guys aren't stars. They are role players (again, with one notable exception).

The exception we presume is Kawhi Leonard (who didn't even have the three as part of his game when he was drafted)
Kawhi can create his own shot. He doesn't belong in this conversation. Just because he was happy to play fourth/third/second fiddle in San Antonio, it doesn't mean he wasn't able to put the ball on the floor and create his shots. He was a better ball handler, better passer, better defender, better at everything really, excluding shooting.

« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2020, 06:24:02 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen

Such as?

Kawhi can create his own shot. He doesn't belong in this conversation. Just because he was happy to play fourth/third/second fiddle in San Antonio, it doesn't mean he wasn't able to put the ball on the floor and create his shots. He was a better ball handler, better passer, better defender, better at everything really, excluding shooting.

I'd largely agree (you've got some hindsight bias going with his actual play in college vs. what he achieved in the NBA but that's normal -- remember, this guy's draft comparisons were guys like Shawn Marion and Luc Richard Mbah a Moute), but I'm curious who your one notable exception is if it's not Leonard or Klay Thompson. Rereading you might have meant Klay.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2020, 06:33:03 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Such as?

I'd largely agree (you've got some hindsight bias going with his actual play in college vs. what he achieved in the NBA but that's normal -- remember, this guy's draft comparisons were guys like Shawn Marion and Luc Richard Mbah a Moute), but I'm curious who your one notable exception is if it's not Leonard or Klay Thompson. Rereading you might have meant Klay.
Yeah, I meant Klay. I believe Reggie is a fair shout as well.

« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2020, 07:18:52 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
Makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

I'm with you: if he's a 3&D guy I'll be happy with that. Doesn't need to be an ascendant star for what we need right now as a team.

« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2020, 07:32:42 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Here's hoping he's the next Klay Thompson!  8) 8)
Uhhh Reggie Miller? He had a below average handle, wasn't particularly explosive or strong for a wing of his size and wasn't a great passer. He was the opposite of Nesmith on defence though - feisty man defender but a mixed bag as a team defender.
Fair shout.

Reggie has an assist/turnover ratio of 1.76 (=3/1.7) for his career. That's an impressive number for someone playing off the ball. He wasn't a great passer, but he wasn't bad either.

Nesmith's respective number for last season was 0.53 (=0.9/1.7). His career average in college was 0.81 (=1.3/1.6).

That being said, here's hoping that Nesmith is the next Klay or the next Reggie! 8) 8)

A more realistic comp may be Duncan Robinson. Nesmith is a better defender. Robinson is a better passer. Not all players can become stars. Still, that's an immensely useful player!
Yeah I think Nesmith will be an absolute stud if he can develop a game similar to Reggie's: really aggressive off-ball movement, good awareness, decisiveness and very smart foul drawing moves to buoy efficiency in the halfcourt. People forget that Reggie led some elite offences with the Pacers without much help even though he wasn't a traditional on-ball superstar - it really goes to show how valuable an elite off-ball player can be with modest to good floor raising and amazing ceiling raising.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2020, 08:09:44 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
studs like Aaron make life hard on the 30 something NBA crowd. 

Work the mud out of Kyrie or Harden ....they dread seeing guys like this . 

« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2020, 09:03:26 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
RJ Hunter 2.0 is going to make fans of summer league and the G-league VERY happy.

« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2020, 09:11:40 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
RJ Hunter 2.0 is going to make fans of summer league and the G-league VERY happy.

Difference is that RJ Hunter's shooting was always more potential and projection than actual. He never topped 40% from three in three years at Georgia State.

Nesmith topped 50% this last year.