Author Topic: Dallas is sending a Utah 2020 second-round pick to Golden State for Cauley-Stein  (Read 5468 times)

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
hard to believe all it took was a late second rounder to get this guy.  was pretty high on him when he was drafted.

It was also hard to believe he could only get the minimum this summer, given all the cap room everyone had.  But that happened too.

I loved WCS coming out of college, but consensus opinion around the league seems to be he isn’t worth much, and the price paid for him now indicates it hasn’t gone up after a half season of being away from Sacramento.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
hard to believe all it took was a late second rounder to get this guy.  was pretty high on him when he was drafted.

It was also hard to believe he could only get the minimum this summer, given all the cap room everyone had.  But that happened too.

I loved WCS coming out of college, but consensus opinion around the league seems to be he isn’t worth much, and the price paid for him now indicates it hasn’t gone up after a half season of being away from Sacramento.
I remember people wanting to trade a Brooklyn pick for him, then a first rounder and Smart/some other young player, then a first and some parts and then at the end still wanting to give up at least a first for him.   

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

He hasn't looked good the couple times I've seen him play this year. He never seemed to get better but I assumed he would. He's maybe not a hard worker off the court. Rick Carlisle will whip him into shape if anyone can. He will also look much better next to Luka.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

He hasn't looked good the couple times I've seen him play this year. He never seemed to get better but I assumed he would. He's maybe not a hard worker off the court. Rick Carlisle will whip him into shape if anyone can. He will also look much better next to Luka.
The knock at Kentucky during his freshman year was that they believed he didn't love the game. That he played it as a means to an end but didn't love playing the game. It affected his drive, his desire to work hard, and his general energy level on the court.

Don't know if it's still true, or even was true then, but it would explain a lot.

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

The knock at Kentucky during his freshman year was that they believed he didn't love the game. That he played it as a means to an end but didn't love playing the game. It affected his drive, his desire to work hard, and his general energy level on the court.

Don't know if it's still true, or even was true then, but it would explain a lot.

He does always seem to be laboring and never has the joy that someone like Robert Williams III has when he comes up with a good play. That does seem like that for some players... If Cauley-Stein can't find joy playing with Luka then that's it...

I also liked Roby coming out though he's had injures and hardly played. He looks like he has some modern NBA skills. I wish The Celtics could've picked him up for nothing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjMriUaetF8
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 12:44:39 AM by liam »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I don't hate no getting WCS, but Danny better have someone else lined up. Kanter or Theis injury would be brutal.

Our only bigs are rookies... (and Rwill).

If the Pels are willing to part with Favors, we should swoop. Not sure what would make the salary work
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 03:16:24 AM by trickybilly »
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Dang, all it took was a 2nd rounder? I would have pounced on that.

But I think it's also the fact that given our cap situation, we'd HAVE to send out a player to facilitate a trade due to salary-matching, even for someone who is cheap. Ainge might want to see a bit of Poirier more going forward to judge what he has, as well as seeing guys like Edwards, Ojeyele, etc. more in spurts. He could still make a small trade for someone like Bertans/Saric/Burks, etc., but I'm guessing he values Ojeyele's defense against guys like Giannis/Lebron, plus he doesn't want to just send Poirier away without seeing him in action a bit more.
I dunno.  Personally, I've seen enough of Poirier.

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I think playing on that stacked Kentucky team really inflated his perceived draft value. Even at the time, I didn't believe he had any business going as high as he did. His potential has always been a good role player in my eyes.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I think the price paid is a realistic appraisal of WCS's value in the league right now.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
never thought much of his game even in college .  Low energy and no mindset to get better.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Dang, all it took was a 2nd rounder? I would have pounced on that.

But I think it's also the fact that given our cap situation, we'd HAVE to send out a player to facilitate a trade due to salary-matching, even for someone who is cheap. Ainge might want to see a bit of Poirier more going forward to judge what he has, as well as seeing guys like Edwards, Ojeyele, etc. more in spurts. He could still make a small trade for someone like Bertans/Saric/Burks, etc., but I'm guessing he values Ojeyele's defense against guys like Giannis/Lebron, plus he doesn't want to just send Poirier away without seeing him in action a bit more.
I dunno.  Personally, I've seen enough of Poirier.

+1

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Good move by Dallas. WCS is underrated.

I am surprised GSW parted ways with WCS. He would have been really valuable for them next season.
If it was a good 2nd rounder, I'd understand it but Utah's 2nd is probably going to be around 50 or so.  I expect there is considerable cash considerations going to GSW.

Just shedding WCS's salary without taking any back is good for the Warriors. They have been operating right up against the hard cap all year (which is why they had to pick between guaranteeing Chriss and converting Damion Lee to an NBA contract), so getting rid of WCS's $2.2 million will open up enough salary to convert KY Bowman.

We were not in a position to take on $2.2 million without sending salary out, so even if we wanted WCS (which seems very unlikely), we wouldn't be able to make a deal without getting a third team involved (and compensating them accordingly)
I'm bitter.

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'm surprised I got so comments on the fact that this is obviously a return for the Bogut trade a few years back.

Dallas didn't have to do anything. The Warriors needed to clear cap space to sign Durant. Dallas took on Bogut's salary and injury-plagued body for peanuts and an I-owe-you.

This is clearly Golden State paying them back.

No other teams had the chance to outbid them.

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I'm surprised I got so comments on the fact that this is obviously a return for the Bogut trade a few years back.

Dallas didn't have to do anything. The Warriors needed to clear cap space to sign Durant. Dallas took on Bogut's salary and injury-plagued body for peanuts and an I-owe-you.

Does any GM owe Danny any solids? Lol

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

Does any GM owe Danny any solids? Lol
Orlando got the #1 overall pick from Philly because of DA 😀