Author Topic: Are we one good bench piece away from title contention?  (Read 12141 times)

Re: Are we one good bench piece away from title contention?
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2020, 07:16:06 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
In an NBA finals setting, I don't think Giannis can beat either LeBron or Kawhi.  They're both the better player in a 7 game series.

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2020, 07:20:21 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
As for the topic, my answer is a simple no.    No bench player is going to change the ultimate fortunes of this team in terms of winning a title.

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2020, 07:22:24 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
LOL the only "Piece" this team needs is a Healthy Smart.

My oldest son is playing NBA 2k again and I heard him hollering and yelling in his room yesterday.

He kept yelling and screaming about Smart....no kidding.

Evidently 2k has gotten Smart right...my son said that players like Chris Paul were fumbling balls away in Smart's presence...dude was getting crazy deflections....getting IMPOSSIBLE rebounds....you know - doing SMART stuff.

I believe it.

Make no mistake about it Marcus Smart gives us a puncher's chance.

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2020, 07:26:29 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
Someone like a Cauley-Stein, Burks, Bertans, Saric, Bjelica, etc. would help us a ton. I hope Danny actually makes 2 additions this trading deadline. 1 through small trade, another through buyout market. But if Poirier does do well + Timelord ends up coming back after the Break, I guess our frontcourt would be okay, but please add a bench scorer.

I look at a lot of these other teams (like Clippers, Lakers, Raptors, etc.) and they have benches which can truly hold their own if their starters sit. I fear our starters sitting and the bench having some big scoring drought against a great team, though fortunately that hasn't happened lately!

And welp, there goes Cauley-Stein. Still a handful of options to choose from (either through trade or buyout market)

Also, I'm seeing a lot of folks saying the Bucks are overrated. Umm...?  ???

Bucks are absolutely the favorites out of the East. Next I assume is a healthy Sixers team. Then it's a mix between MIA/BOS/TOR/IND where I like us as long as we're healthy ourselves.

I still pick the Clippers to win it all, over the Bucks in 6 games.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2020, 09:58:34 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

- Boston is #6 on offense (a tiny hair behind Utah) and #5 on defense, so a borderline contender, arguably.  Youth and lack of a MVP type makes it fair to question their playoff abilities, but Brad has taken them deep in the past with less talent.

If my math is correct, Boston passed Philly tonight for fourth in defense. Celtics were only a 10th of a point per hundred possessions behind, and they played defense tonight at a rate of something like 86 points per hundred possessions.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2020, 10:59:37 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
We need a reliable big or a sharp shooting guard off the bench.

We need both.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2020, 01:42:50 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
On the subject of who is and is not a contender, for what it's worth:

- Bucks are #1 defense and #1 offense ... they're the juggernaut, though as I said I have reservations about Coach Bud teams

Milwaukee is actually #2 in offense, substantially behind Dallas. The Mavs have a shot at achieving the all-time best offense this season.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2020, 02:01:27 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
On the subject of who is and is not a contender, for what it's worth:

- Bucks are #1 defense and #1 offense ... they're the juggernaut, though as I said I have reservations about Coach Bud teams

Milwaukee is actually #2 in offense, substantially behind Dallas. The Mavs have a shot at achieving the all-time best offense this season.
For me that’s a testament to the ludicrous offensive ability of Doncic
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2020, 06:37:08 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
It's my belief that you don't trade for bench pieces... They emerge from what you have. Within most systems guys come in and provide a spark that the starters don't have but that impact is not necessarily transferable... Several "great" bench pieces are out there just not for our system.

PS... Injuries aside our bench has an all-nba defender and a guy that averages a double-double... When Rob comes back to give us size... What exactly are we missing?

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2020, 07:55:59 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
It's my belief that you don't trade for bench pieces... They emerge from what you have. Within most systems guys come in and provide a spark that the starters don't have but that impact is not necessarily transferable... Several "great" bench pieces are out there just not for our system.

PS... Injuries aside our bench has an all-nba defender and a guy that averages a double-double... When Rob comes back to give us size... What exactly are we missing?
RWIII, GWill, Semi, Javonte, Smart
That's an athletic bulldog defensive lineup

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2020, 08:23:24 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we are not that close.    We are a very good team, but we have a lot of ups and downs, and real champions do not have all those mental letdowns.

I think our roster has holes, but there have been some pleasant surprises too, like Kanter.  Hard to tell we are so ravaged by injuries.

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2020, 08:31:35 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
We are one good starter away from title contention (at center).
How are we defining "good starter"?
Let's say a top 15 center
This! If we could somehow trade for a guy like Myles Turner without sacrificing our 5-man core, I believe we'd have a legit chance to make it to the Finals.

Salary-wise, Kanter + Theis + Langford for Turner works in the trade machine. Problem is, the Pacers would have zero incentive to do a 3 for 1 trade. Chances are, we'd have to find a third team. Not the easiest thing to do, but it's definitely possible. Especially if we are willing to include pick(s).

For instance:

(click on image to enlarge)

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=vc2al5t

Or something along these lines. The Wizards get the Celtics 2020 first as well.

It also works with the Kings (instead of the Wizards) for Bogdanovic, with the Knicks for Marcus Morris, with the Wolves for Covington etc.

Kemba - Wanamaker - Edwards
Brown - Smart - Green
Hayward - Semi
Tatum - G. Williams
Turner - Poirier - R. Williams

That's an impressive 6-man core, plus we'd have 2 roster spots available in order to sign players via the buyout market.

Turner isn't a good fit next to Sabonis. The Pacers also have Bitadze to provide cover at the 5. It's possible that they'll decide to move on from Turner. If that's the case, Danny should go after him.

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2020, 08:58:05 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This! If we could somehow trade for a guy like Myles Turner without sacrificing our 5-man core, I believe we'd have a legit chance to make it to the Finals.

Salary-wise, Kanter + Theis + Langford for Turner works in the trade machine. Problem is, the Pacers would have zero incentive to do a 3 for 1 trade. Chances are, we'd have to find a third team. Not the easiest thing to do, but it's definitely possible. Especially if we are willing to include pick(s).

For instance:

It also works with the Kings (instead of the Wizards) for Bogdanovic, with the Knicks for Marcus Morris, with the Wolves for Covington etc.

Brown - Smart - Green
Hayward - Semi
Tatum - G. Williams

That's an impressive 6-man core, plus we'd have 2 roster spots available in order to sign players via the buyout market.

Turner isn't a good fit next to Sabonis. The Pacers also have Bitadze to provide cover at the 5. It's possible that they'll decide to move on from Turner. If that's the case, Danny should go after him.
I think losing the big man depth we have is absolutely not worth the marginal upgrade to get Turner.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2020, 09:24:07 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
The bucks have an ELITE defense.  The stats obviously show it but it jumps out at you when we play them.  I don’t expect that will change come playoff time.

I’d say the bucks are about even odds against the field in the east, which is pretty good.  They should be viewed as the favorites and putting any other team there (e.g, Philly) means you’re either trying to be a contrarian or you didn’t learn from Bos experience last year or both.

« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2020, 09:24:27 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

For instance:

Brown - Smart - Green
Hayward - Semi
Tatum - G. Williams

I think losing the big man depth we have is absolutely not worth the marginal upgrade to get Turner.
We'd still have 3 Centers in Turner-Poirier-Timelord, plus 2 open roster spots to sign players via the byuout market.

Usually the team that gets the best player wins the trade.

Imo, Turner > Kanter > Theis

Basically, we'd trade our depth for a significant (not marginal) upgrade at the C position. I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. Not sure whether the other teams would though.