Author Topic: Gordo looking good  (Read 16278 times)

Re: Gordo looking good
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2021, 11:54:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He couldn't even put 28 points in the first half when he was with the Celtics, what a punk.
Stop trolling
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2021, 12:01:53 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Hayward set a career high with 44 points tonight.  Maybe CHA isn’t as dumb as we all though.  I’m glad Indy didn’t get him.

GH shot 15-for-25 tonight.  The rest of the team was 17-for-60.

*Yawn*

If 30 year old Gordon Hayward plays 70 games and leads the Hornets to the conference finals wake me up.

If he struggles with injuries and continues to shine brightest in games that don't matter we'll know we made the right decision.

« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2021, 12:19:03 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Hayward set a career high with 44 points tonight.  Maybe CHA isn’t as dumb as we all though.  I’m glad Indy didn’t get him.

GH shot 15-for-25 tonight.  The rest of the team was 17-for-60.

*Yawn*

If 30 year old Gordon Hayward plays 70 games and leads the Hornets to the conference finals wake me up.

If he struggles with injuries and continues to shine brightest in games that don't matter we'll know we made the right decision.

I wouldn’t have paid him $30 million.  I thought that it was a massive overpay. And, on the Celtics it would have been. You can’t pay $30 million for a fourth option.

But, I have no in a mess toward the guy, and it’s downright impressive watching him play at the top of his ability.  It’s interesting to consider that Gordon is exactly the type of player that we need right now, but that when he was hear he was so unlucky and so held back.

To a significantly lesser degree, we saw the same thing with the Lebron-era Heat.  They had a good coach, a decent bench, and three All-NBA players.  On paper, they were unstoppable. And yet, they “only” won two titles, and Bosh was definitely restricted.  Even Wade needed to learn to take a lesser role as Lebron stepped up.  It wasn’t a chemistry issue, it was just players learning to adapt their games to each other.

The difference between the Heat and Celtics is that the Heat had better top-end talent then us.  But, I think it is interesting to see that they struggled a bit as well. I really think that if Gordon hadn’t been injured, he would still be with us. Instead of spending his first two seasons essentially rehabbing, he could have used them to learn how to fit in with three other excellent scorers.  What if, right?

I get that you hate Gordon, but why waste your energy on him? He’s a very good player who, through no fault of his own, could only give us one really good regular season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2021, 12:33:09 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Yes, it was out of our price range given his role here. But if he continues to post those numbers and Charlotte makes the playoffs, the signing makes sense.  I hope he has a great season and is selected as an All Star.  Watching them play, he really is a coach on the floor, you can see how he makes sure the team runs its offense the way his coach intends.  I'll bet the coaching staff loves him there.

« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2021, 12:47:17 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Gordon is a great player.  Its why he got a max deal from the C's.  The problem for him was the ascension of the J's and the signing of Kemba.  If Kemba was not in green then Gordon would still be here because he'd get his shots.  The question is would this team be better with Gordon over Kemba.

« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2021, 01:20:05 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Gordon is a great player.  Its why he got a max deal from the C's.  The problem for him was the ascension of the J's and the signing of Kemba.  If Kemba was not in green then Gordon would still be here because he'd get his shots.  The question is would this team be better with Gordon over Kemba.

Yes, a healthy Gordon would be more valuable to our team vs Kemba. We could have gotten creative and used him as Point forward perhaps but we never had a full year of good health.

« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2021, 01:35:45 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I’m happy for Gordon that he’s playing so well.  I was looking at his stats and they’re not drastically different than last season.  He’s averaging 4 more shots and 5 more points.  The rest of his stats: minutes, shooting percentages, rebounds, and assists are all about the same.  It’s too bad for us that he left because he is exactly what we need. 

I can’t blame either side.  That contract would make finances/luxury tax difficult for the Celtics once Tatum gets his raise.  And Heyward has a better shot at making another all star team as well as a lot more money.  I just wish that they were able work things out and Charlotte hadn’t made that huge offer.

« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2021, 01:45:05 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Gordon seems to me to be on a similar trajectory as when he was with the Celtics.  He is the primary option now so getting more opportunities but he is still very much up and down from game to game.

This season, his total points per game are:  28, 12, 28, 11, 14, 20, 18, 44, 26, 13, 34; up and down.  To me, those are not all star numbers, not, "best player on a playoff team" numbers, and not $30m per year numbers.  Still, 22.5 ppg on 16.6 shots per game in 34.8 minutes is very good and very efficient. 

I looked back on 2016-17 (his last and best with Utah), definitely more consistency or at least more runs of good games strung together with still some down games mixed in.  Overall, about 22 pts on 16 shots.

I think we are seeing exactly what Gordon Hayward is post injury and really has always been.  He probably would have continued to trend up at a much higher rate without the injury.  He might have become a "star", he was headed in that direction.  This will never be known.

« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2021, 01:46:12 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
It's tough seeing him perform like he is, but I keep thinking about that TPE and what it "might" be.  So I sit and wait for DA to do something, hoping it's a piece that takes them deep into the playoffs, if not Banner 18!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2021, 05:47:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Gordon seems to me to be on a similar trajectory as when he was with the Celtics.  He is the primary option now so getting more opportunities but he is still very much up and down from game to game.

This season, his total points per game are:  28, 12, 28, 11, 14, 20, 18, 44, 26, 13, 34; up and down.  To me, those are not all star numbers, not, "best player on a playoff team" numbers, and not $30m per year numbers.  Still, 22.5 ppg on 16.6 shots per game in 34.8 minutes is very good and very efficient. 

I looked back on 2016-17 (his last and best with Utah), definitely more consistency or at least more runs of good games strung together with still some down games mixed in.  Overall, about 22 pts on 16 shots.

I think we are seeing exactly what Gordon Hayward is post injury and really has always been.  He probably would have continued to trend up at a much higher rate without the injury.  He might have become a "star", he was headed in that direction.  This will never be known.

Yeah, his efficiency is currently in the 50/40/90 plus category. Not sure anyone averaging over 20 ppg is in the category.

He is a very good fit for the Hornets. He is there best player this year, and it's not close.  They are best player on a playoff team numbers, if the Hornets keep winning.  But probably not enough to make all star team. He'd probably have to increase his scoring average to 25 plus, but he is too unselfish to ramp it up IMO.

« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2021, 10:19:08 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Who had game 11 for the Gordon injury watch?

Hip strain left game no return.
ok fine

« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2021, 08:27:09 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Who had game 11 for the Gordon injury watch?

Hip strain left game no return.

No one. Everyone had game 10 or 12. Just missed.

« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2021, 08:06:23 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
39 points for Gordy including the last second game winner against the Magic. I guess this is why he moved to Charlotte, to take these shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07G7J1OXuaI
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2021, 08:14:23 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I love seeing him do this.  Good for him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2021, 08:17:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Me too.

I think the move was good for him, obviously. I think it is fair to say it has been good for Jaylen, too, giving him higher usage. He has said as much, although not specifically referring to Gordon.