Author Topic: Anthony Bennett Waived....Again  (Read 13719 times)

Re: Anthony Bennett Waived....Again
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2016, 09:45:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Unfortunately he was simply a terrible pick. What a wasted opportunity for the Cavs.
Who can really say, would they have been able to keep the pick and still acquire Love?

I think they'd probably have Victor Oladipo out there instead of Shumpert I guess?
I mean anyone but Bennett, yikes. It was a particularly bad draft though.

I hope we don't have similar feelings towards James Young in 2 years time but I had that feeling when we drafted him. Here's to hoping he shows something next year.
No what I'm saying, is that they probably still would have traded the pick with Wiggins for Love.  Might have been able to keep the future 1st if the player was better than Bennett, but the player likely wouldn't be on the Cavs and would be on the Wolves instead.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2016, 09:55:10 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Unfortunately he was simply a terrible pick. What a wasted opportunity for the Cavs.
Who can really say, would they have been able to keep the pick and still acquire Love?

I think they'd probably have Victor Oladipo out there instead of Shumpert I guess?

I hope we don't have similar feelings towards James Young in 2 years time but I had that feeling when we drafted him. Here's to hoping he shows something next year.
No what I'm saying, is that they probably still would have traded the pick with Wiggins for Love.  Might have been able to keep the future 1st if the player was better than Bennett, but the player likely wouldn't be on the Cavs and would be on the Wolves instead.
that was my point earlier.  If the Cavs took Noel instead of Bennett that year, they may have only had to cough up those 2 for Love instead of what they ended up sending.

« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2016, 09:57:21 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Still early but that 2013 draft top 10 isn't looking so hot right now. 

Round   Pick   Player   Position   Nationality[n 1]   Team   School/club team
1   1   Anthony Bennett   PF/SF    Canada   Cleveland Cavaliers   UNLV (Fr.)
1   2   Victor Oladipo   SG/PG    United States   Orlando Magic   Indiana (Jr.)
1   3   Otto Porter   SF    United States   Washington Wizards   Georgetown (So.)
1   4   Cody Zeller   PF/C    United States   Charlotte Bobcats   Indiana (So.)
1   5   Alex Len   C    Ukraine   Phoenix Suns   Maryland (So.)
1   6   Nerlens Noel   C    United States   New Orleans Pelicans (traded to Philadelphia)[A]   Kentucky (Fr.)
1   7   Ben McLemore   SG    United States   Sacramento Kings   Kansas (Fr.)
1   8   Kentavious Caldwell-Pope   SG    United States   Detroit Pistons   Georgia (So.)
1   9   Trey Burke   PG    United States   Minnesota Timberwolves (traded to Utah)   Michigan (So.)
1   10   C.J. McCollum   PG/SG    United States   Portland Trail Blazers   Lehigh (Sr.)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2016, 10:20:38 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

that was my point earlier.  If the Cavs took Noel instead of Bennett that year, they may have only had to cough up those 2 for Love instead of what they ended up sending.
True, but all they sent aside from those two was a future pick (the pick this year which will likely be 28).  The trade was really Wiggins for Love. 

« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2016, 10:29:16 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

True, but all they sent aside from those two was a future pick (the pick this year which will likely be 28).  The trade was really Wiggins for Love.

You're wrong on the pick they sent.  It was a top-10 protected pick from Miami.  Miami was one win away from conveying that pick last year as the 11th overall.  Currently that pick is #22, but they're 2.5 games from picking anywhere between 14-24.  Still not the end of the world, but it was definitely better than #27-28.

« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2016, 10:37:06 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

You're wrong on the pick they sent.  It was a top-10 protected pick from Miami.  Miami was one win away from conveying that pick last year as the 11th overall.  Currently that pick is #22, but they're 2.5 games from picking anywhere between 14-24.  Still not the end of the world, but it was definitely better than #27-28.
ah.  Still doesn't change much.  The only question is, if it was someone other than Bennett is that person included in the trade.  I would think yes, but maybe Cleveland would have fought harder (especially if it was someone like Noel). 

« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2016, 11:38:14 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

1   3   Otto Porter   SF    United States   Washington Wizards   Georgetown (So.)
1   6   Nerlens Noel   C    United States   New Orleans Pelicans (traded to Philadelphia)[A]   Kentucky (Fr.)
1   8   Kentavious Caldwell-Pope   SG    United States   Detroit Pistons   Georgia (So.)
1   9   Trey Burke   PG    United States   Minnesota Timberwolves (traded to Utah)   Michigan (So.)
1   10   C.J. McCollum   PG/SG    United States   Portland Trail Blazers   Lehigh (Sr.)

has to rank as one of the worst drafts ever....

« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2016, 11:52:01 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

For now, I think 2000 is still the king but this one isn't looking good at all right now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2016, 01:06:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

For now, I think 2000 is still the king but this one isn't looking good at all right now.
are you talking just top 10 or entire draft?  Not sure it changes much but there were some pretty solid players taken outside of the top 10 and including a number in the 2nd round. 

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2016, 09:02:59 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I was just thinking ....if you're Anthony Bennett's agent...what do you tell him?

Since he couldn't get it done with the T Wolves things seem pretty bleak. I'm thinking unless the 76ers  or maybe the Lakers or Kings call him (doubtful) then I'm telling him rather than be a backup in Europe where I think he could get lost I'd tell him to go dominate the NBDL for a year. Establish that. Then go to Europe. The only other option I see is to try to pull a Beasley and go to China. He could maybe dominate there.