Author Topic: Anthony Bennett Waived....Again  (Read 13718 times)

Re: Anthony Bennett Waived....Again
« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2016, 10:19:38 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I still think Bennett showed NBA tools.  There was potential there.  All things I pointed out before when I considered the idea of moving a low-value draft pick for him (an idea that didn't really make sense outside the forum thought experiment bubble, because his rookie contract at the time made trading for him extremely unlikely).   But his combination of size, shooting stroke and explosiveness were clearly what got him drafted and those things were on display occassionally.  It was never a given he'd put the tools together, though.  Gerald Green comes to mind when I think about Bennett.   Green showed NBA tools, but it took him 8 years until he put any of those tools together into a competent NBA rotation player.  Granted, as bad as Green was, he showed more than Bennett has thus far.   Still, maybe Bennett resurfaces some day.
only if he stops sucking as a player.  :P
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2016, 10:30:01 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
#1 pick trivia sidebar.  Since the 1970 draft the Celtics have had 4 former top picks play for them.  Who are they?  (Kind of an easy one)
I find this difficult. I can only think of a guy who liked candy, a guy that was never nervous, and I think a guy who had life long feet issues and was a hippie. Oh wow. I sorta missed an obvious one
a guy best known for winning titles on other teams before coming to the C's
got it!! thanks for the tip. and a tp in return.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2016, 10:32:14 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
#1 pick trivia sidebar.  Since the 1970 draft the Celtics have had 4 former top picks play for them.  Who are they?  (Kind of an easy one)
I find this difficult. I can only think of a guy who liked candy, a guy that was never nervous, and I think a guy who had life long feet issues and was a hippie. Oh wow. I sorta missed an obvious one
a guy best known for winning titles on other teams before coming to the C's

Too easy!
Yup

« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2016, 10:49:59 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I still think Bennett showed NBA tools.  There was potential there.  All things I pointed out before when I considered the idea of moving a low-value draft pick for him (an idea that didn't really make sense outside the forum thought experiment bubble, because his rookie contract at the time made trading for him extremely unlikely).   But his combination of size, shooting stroke and explosiveness were clearly what got him drafted and those things were on display occassionally.  It was never a given he'd put the tools together, though.  Gerald Green comes to mind when I think about Bennett.   Green showed NBA tools, but it took him 8 years until he put any of those tools together into a competent NBA rotation player.  Granted, as bad as Green was, he showed more than Bennett has thus far.   Still, maybe Bennett resurfaces some day.
Translation: I was wrong. He sucks.

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2016, 12:54:14 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Translation:  He always sucked.  That was never debatable.  Nobody ever denied it.  The fact that he unequivocally sucked was why I brought him up 9 months ago.  What was an interesting topic was whether or not he'd be able to put together his NBA tools and eventually become a competent player and whether he'd be a better gamble than whatever we ended up with at #16.  In the 9 months since pondering that question, he's yet to put together those tools, but the guy we took #16 hasn't done anything in the NBA yet either.  Most discouraging for Bennett is his pretty lackluster performance in the d-league.  It's looking like he's probably not going to figure out.   I was neither wrong nor right.  I just was.   

« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2016, 01:05:06 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Translation:  He always sucked.  That was never debatable.  Nobody ever denied it.  The fact that he unequivocally sucked was why I brought him up 9 months ago.  What was an interesting topic was whether or not he'd be able to put together his NBA tools and eventually become a competent player and whether he'd be a better gamble than whatever we ended up with at #16.  In the 9 months since pondering that question, he's yet to put together those tools, but the guy we took #16 hasn't done anything in the NBA yet either.  Most discouraging for Bennett is his pretty lackluster performance in the d-league.  It's looking like he's probably not going to figure out.   I was neither wrong nor right.  I just was.   

If you are talking about Rozier, then it's hardly a fair to compare the stats/achievements of Rozier (who is a 21 year old rookie buried on the roster of a #3 seed playoff team) to those of Bennett (who is a 22 year old with 3 years of experience who just got couldn't carve out a role on two shockingly bad former teams). 

Rozier is a prospect who has barely played.  He hasn't had opportunity to produce anything.  Bennett is a 3rd year veteran who has had PLENTY of opportunity to produce.

You just can't compare those two situations at all.

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2016, 01:28:29 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

If you are talking about Rozier, then it's hardly a fair to compare the stats/achievements of Rozier (who is a 21 year old rookie buried on the roster of a #3 seed playoff team) to those of Bennett (who is a 22 year old with 3 years of experience who just got couldn't carve out a role on two shockingly bad former teams). 

Rozier is a prospect who has barely played.  He hasn't had opportunity to produce anything.  Bennett is a 3rd year veteran who has had PLENTY of opportunity to produce.

You can compare them.  They both are irrelevant to the league right now.  Rozier's situation is more hopeful mainly because he hasn't had an extended opportunity to fail yet.  Bennett has better career stats. 

Rozier's D-league stats are better than what Bennett put up in D-League this year though... so for now, based on d-league performances it seems like the hypothetical #16 for Bennett trade (which never would have actually happened in the first place due to Bennett's contract) would have been a bad one?  But who knows.   It was still interesting to think about. 

Seems like a lot of people are down on the 2016 draft.  I wonder if there are any underperforming 2015 rookies worth gambling on with the Boston + Dallas picks. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 01:36:09 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2016, 02:19:14 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

You can compare them.  They both are irrelevant to the league right now.  Rozier's situation is more hopeful mainly because he hasn't had an extended opportunity to fail yet.  Bennett has better career stats

Rozier's D-league stats are better than what Bennett put up in D-League this year though... so for now, based on d-league performances it seems like the hypothetical #16 for Bennett trade (which never would have actually happened in the first place due to Bennett's contract) would have been a bad one?  But who knows.   It was still interesting to think about. 

Seems like a lot of people are down on the 2016 draft.  I wonder if there are any underperforming 2015 rookies worth gambling on with the Boston + Dallas picks.

Well, yeah, considering he's had time to play on 2 trash teams. And Rozier is on a good team with 2, 3 options ahead of him. And even then, not sure that these even count as even mediocre stats. They are just baaaad. http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bennean01.html#per_game::none
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2016, 02:32:09 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I see the trivia on Bennett that he had one of the 18 worst rookie seasons of all time and that no good player has ever had a rookie reason that bad. Just of curiosity I looked up seasons that were only slightly better statistically, and the one really good player ever who had an atrocious rookie season is Draymond Green of all people. He was a terrible, terrible rookie. But then he took the step up to average and then to good and then to really good in the next three seasons.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2016, 04:33:44 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Unfortunately he was simply a terrible pick. What a wasted opportunity for the Cavs.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:33:34 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2016, 07:13:05 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is begining to look like a carved marble head.....

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2016, 07:28:53 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Unfortunately he was simply a terrible pick. What a wasted opportunity for the Cavs.

I think the trading of Wiggins is the worst move .  ....12 potiental years of a young star thrown away.

We'll see IF their hero LeBaby can win them a title this year.

I might be wrong .....but I doubt it.... :D

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2016, 08:15:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

I think the trading of Wiggins is the worst move .  ....12 potiental years of a young star thrown away.

We'll see IF their hero LeBaby can win them a title this year.

I might be wrong .....but I doubt it.... :D
Yeah but they have 6 years of Love locked up in his prime.  Wiggins has yet to have a season anywhere near as good as Love has had.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2016, 08:19:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Who can really say, would they have been able to keep the pick and still acquire Love?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2016, 08:32:51 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Who can really say, would they have been able to keep the pick and still acquire Love?

I think they'd probably have Victor Oladipo out there instead of Shumpert I guess?
I mean anyone but Bennett, yikes. It was a particularly bad draft though.

I hope we don't have similar feelings towards James Young in 2 years time but I had that feeling when we drafted him. Here's to hoping he shows something next year.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.