Author Topic: Rajon Rondo and the State of the Kings  (Read 15033 times)

Rajon Rondo and the State of the Kings
« on: October 17, 2015, 10:50:14 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4MXVBIT5hgg&feature=youtu.be

As an 08 championship team basketball convert fan(read: bandwagon jumper) I'm always going to root for Rajon Rondo whatever team he plays for. During the transition between eras I was banging the trade Rondo drum as hard as most of the posters around these parts, but not nessesarily for the same reasons.

Most wanted to trade Rondo to build around different players, and while Jae Crowder, the pick we got from Brandon Wright and the Mavs pick are nice I was more intrigued to see peak Rondo performing with a team that's catered to his strengths by surrounding him with shooters (McLemore, Belenelli) athletes (Rudy Gay, McLemore, Willey Caulie Stein) and a dominant post presence in Cousins.

From a fan perspective, I'm all for what team that we've turned into as an unselfish, deep pace and space team but this year one eye is going to be  permanently fixed on Sacremento to see how this Kings team opperates with Rondo stirring the pot.

Really couldn't ask for more in a "side team", it's either going to be a brilliant success of a spectacular failure. Either way should be one [heck] of a ride. Judging by the early returns this collection of cast offs might just make more noise than people thought they were capable of. Time to bust out the popcorn.

Re: Rajon Rondo and the State of the Kings
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 11:10:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Rondo needs guys to pass too for him to work.

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 03:30:16 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I don't know if Kings will make the playoffs given how stacked the West is, but I do think the Kings are a fantastic fit for Rondo. I've always thought that in order to maximize Rondo, you need a team:

1) with a dominant big for him to dump it off to (cousins, check!)
2) with a shooter (mclemore, check!)
3) with wings who can run with him (gay, check!)
4) with minimal ballhandlers so Rondo can handle majority of the ballhandling where he's most effective (check!)
5) where Rondo isn't the best player (cousins, check!)

The C's were an okay fit for Rondo since Pierce and co. were so good, they could play any style anyway. The Mavs were a bad fit.

- LilRip

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 05:44:34 AM »

Offline e4sym0de

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
mclemore shot 32% and 35.8% from Three in his two NBA seasons. Gay is a 34% career 3-Point shooter. They donīt have a stretch Big-man. Donīt want to hate on Rondo or the Kings team, but itīs not like it is a perfect fit for Rondo (Allen,Pierce,Garnett provided much more spacing and scoring ability in general)

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 05:52:58 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
I don't know if Kings will make the playoffs given how stacked the West is, but I do think the Kings are a fantastic fit for Rondo. I've always thought that in order to maximize Rondo, you need a team:

1) with a dominant big for him to dump it off to (cousins, check!)
2) with a shooter (mclemore, check!)
3) with wings who can run with him (gay, check!)
4) with minimal ballhandlers so Rondo can handle majority of the ballhandling where he's most effective (check!)
5) where Rondo isn't the best player (cousins, check!)

The C's were an okay fit for Rondo since Pierce and co. were so good, they could play any style anyway. The Mavs were a bad fit.

Yep, now if they can only get Willey Caulie Stein to develop the Kevin Garnett 19 Foot long 2 pressure release jumper( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmTxoRFiOZw ) this team could really be something special.

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 06:21:30 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
mclemore shot 32% and 35.8% from Three in his two NBA seasons. Gay is a 34% career 3-Point shooter. They donīt have a stretch Big-man. Donīt want to hate on Rondo or the Kings team, but itīs not like it is a perfect fit for Rondo (Allen,Pierce,Garnett provided much more spacing and scoring ability in general)

Definitely hear you one the Boston big 3 being a better fit but that's more based how good the big 3 were as players not necessarily how you'd want to construct a roster around Rondo. Cousin/Gay/McLemore may never be as good as Pierce/Allen/Garnett but as players you could argue that they are a better fit next Rondo.

Your kind of picking and choosing your stats there to support your argument. With McLemore your looking at what he's done lately ignoring how well he shot at Kansas and how textbook and natural his form is. We were more going off how good of a shooter that he's projected to become, especially considering that he was expected to develop more slowly during the draft process.

But then when ya talk about Rudy Gay it's career stats that tell the story, stats that have been pretty seriously deflated by his time spent in Toronto as leagues least efficient, high usage offensive player.

Rudy plays more Small Ball 4 now and has never really fallen off his fresh start high FG% in Sacramento. Last year he shot 36% from 3 which is fine for a high usage primary scorer.
With Rudy we're more looking at what have you done for me lately since he is already fully developed.

Also the spacing as a whole might not be as open as it was in Boston but the extreme attention that Cousins draws could easily offset that. KG may have been a monster in his own right but with all respect to Perkins, Darko and Jermaine O'Neal, Rondo's never played with a post player even half as good or draws a fraction of the attention as Demarcus Cousins. A lot easier to whip pinpoint passes out to 3 point shooters when 3-5 of the defenders assume the ball's heading to the big man and collapse around Cousins.

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 09:41:31 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Collison has been playing real well for Sac. Judging by the pre season, he is going to get his starting role back. He is averaging 16:3:5. Rondo on the other hand is averaging 6:3:5

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 11:46:02 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Collison has been playing real well for Sac. Judging by the pre season, he is going to get his starting role back. He is averaging 16:3:5. Rondo on the other hand is averaging 6:3:5

You're right on Collison, check the stat line on Saturdays preseason game. Just an example of how Collison is playing this preseason. He's a fine PG, really coming into his own, he's 26-27 years old, and can shoot, pass etc.

One thing he's missing, he doesn't have Rondo's name. With the personalities on this team they need a "name" at the position of PG. I'm not sure if the coach does though.

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 12:25:31 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

You're right on Collison, check the stat line on Saturdays preseason game. Just an example of how Collison is playing this preseason. He's a fine PG, really coming into his own, he's 26-27 years old, and can shoot, pass etc.

One thing he's missing, he doesn't have Rondo's name. With the personalities on this team they need a "name" at the position of PG. I'm not sure if the coach does though.
in one of these preseason games, Collison actually started at the 2 alongside Rondo. I think that is an interesting line up to watch. Time will tell though what final line up we will see Karl put out there. The owner, being the huge basketball fan that he is, might push for max mins on Rondos end.

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 01:25:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Rondo's role in the league moving forward, I think, is to be Andre Miller.

Unfortunately to last in that role he'll need to become a leader and mentor for younger players.  Tough sell on that front.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 06:45:39 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Nice game yesterday. Feels weird not having constant Rondo threads.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 11:57:20 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Rondo with a very typical triple double game,  FG% typical too...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 03:52:06 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
14-15-12 with 4 steals against Curry and the Warriors. Rondo is such a freak.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 04:28:15 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
He has had a couple games with 20+ points, too.  He may be a freak, but he was our freak and I miss him a lot...still follow him, and still a Rondo fan.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2015, 04:28:36 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Good game, Rondo....I expect more games like this from him - especially as he gets used to the new team and his teammates and coaches.

I wish him and SAC the best.