Author Topic: Was Rondo deal the right move for Mavs?  (Read 15664 times)

Re: Was Rondo deal the right move for Mavs?
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2015, 01:29:37 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I'm curious about Rondo's market value come this summer. Seems like his max player potential has come and gone. I'd think he could get a deal similar to the $55M one he is finishing now, but I can't envision anyone giving him something upwards of $15M per year now . . ..

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2015, 01:34:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm curious about Rondo's market value come this summer. Seems like his max player potential has come and gone. I'd think he could get a deal similar to the $55M one he is finishing now, but I can't envision anyone giving him something upwards of $15M per year now . . ..
Ainge certainly called his bluff... Rondo was asking for 100m.  Had he stayed in Boston and continued to inflate his stats, he might have gotten it.   Instead, he gets sent to Dallas, is asked to fit in with a real team, completely gets exposed, destroys his market value... 

I don't blame Rondo for saying he wanted to "stay in Boston".  Here he had to freedom to continue conning the world into thinking he was a superstar.  He was well on his way to getting paid this summer by someone.   Getting sent to Dallas to be their 5th best player might have just cost him 50 million dollars.  Can't rule out the Knicks/Lakers doing something stupid, though

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2015, 01:36:00 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
True . .. good call on the Knicks and Lakers. They'll be tossing $ around this summer. Rondo may luck out. I don't expect a bidding war though.

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2015, 04:32:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
If some other great player ...liiikkeee sayyyy...idk...Blake Griffin were traded to a playoff aspiring team like saaaayyyy...idk ...the Rockets and then Blake took a turn for the worst does that mean Blake now is no good?

I blame this solidly on the Dallas coaches. The guy was leading the league in assists and rebs on a team of kids. He goes to Dallas and they immediately get worse. Do people really think Rondo is suddenly a tremendously worse player in Dallas? What do they think caused this? The weather?

The team has no idea what to do because they haven't had a training camp together or any practice time, they sacrificed valuable bench guys, and then he got his face broke. Check back in April.

hahaha...this is funny, you are the leader of the Rondo army.  I respect it, I disagree with it but I respect your loyalty.  The facts are Rondo is not the player he was a few years ago, the excuses have run dry.  He is a long way removed from his injury, he is surrounded by good players now and he has still struggled...In today's game he is an average point guard.  That's it, no shame in that Rondo has had a nice career...
I totally get that people have been waiting to pounce on Rondo for a long time now because of his shooting or something, while simultaneously posting bring back Antoine threads, but he's 29, a great passer, great defender, great shooter. Part of the issue was he wanted to be paid. He was indecisive and sent out odd signals.
Doesn't mean he isn't or wasn't a good player.
A tailored system? Someone said that. So both Stevens and Doc tailored a system for Rondo? And Carlisle can't? Ok.
It should be noted that shortly after making these posts, eja117 traded me Rajon Rondo in the fantasy points league.

I'm now a proud owner of Rajon Rondo stock.   Kid's a stah.  Gonna be right back up to the top of the assists leaders next season once he joins the Lakers.   Mavs are holding him back.  DOn't stifle that beautiful butterfly... let him fly.  Let the offense flow through Rondo.  Wait until the playoffs... he's gonna start dropping quadruple doubles.

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2015, 04:35:50 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Rondo has looked pretty awful to me...I think Ainge made the right move....Rondo looks more like an $8 Mil per year player at best....Sad to see his decline happen so quickly....There are many Point Guards better than him now.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2015, 04:42:40 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Ainge certainly called his bluff... Rondo was asking for 100m.  Had he stayed in Boston and continued to inflate his stats, he might have gotten it.   Instead, he gets sent to Dallas, is asked to fit in with a real team, completely gets exposed, destroys his market value... 

I don't blame Rondo for saying he wanted to "stay in Boston".  Here he had to freedom to continue conning the world into thinking he was a superstar.  He was well on his way to getting paid this summer by someone.   Getting sent to Dallas to be their 5th best player might have just cost him 50 million dollars.  Can't rule out the Knicks/Lakers doing something stupid, though

Rondo might be something like the 12th-15th most appealing free agent  this summer. Somewhere in the mix with Hibbert, Chandler, Ellis, Knight.

I think the Lakers and Knicks should target Gasol, Aldridge, Love, D. green, Jordan, Butler, Dragic, Leonard, Jefferson, Millsap, Monroe way ahead of Rondo.

I think you nailed it though about Rondo's stock plummeting after this trade. I see him as a 12 million per year guy tops, and even then it has to be just the right fit.

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2015, 05:19:54 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Rondo might be something like the 12th-15th most appealing free agent  this summer. Somewhere in the mix with Hibbert, Chandler, Ellis, Knight.

I think the Lakers and Knicks should target Gasol, Aldridge, Love, D. green, Jordan, Butler, Dragic, Leonard, Jefferson, Millsap, Monroe way ahead of Rondo.

I think you nailed it though about Rondo's stock plummeting after this trade. I see him as a 12 million per year guy tops, and even then it has to be just the right fit.

He'd be lucky to get 12mil a year. The only reason would be the new TV deal / salary cap increase causes a domino effect of overpayment for the entire 2015 FA class (which it probably will).

Not sure why Rondo even suited up last night in OKC. His defense was as bad as I've seen in the NBA all year.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2015, 06:12:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Rondo has looked pretty awful to me...I think Ainge made the right move....Rondo looks more like an $8 Mil per year player at best....Sad to see his decline happen so quickly....There are many Point Guards better than him now.
I think he's the same player he's always been.  It's more about the system.  WHen people called Rondo overrated over the years, they were referring to what you're seeing now. 

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2015, 06:22:01 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I think he's the same player he's always been.  It's more about the system.  WHen people called Rondo overrated over the years, they were referring to what you're seeing now.

I think it's more his physical decline than his previous exploits. Rondo was always very dependent on his athleticism to slice through the lane and score, and now, he's noticeably slower. Combine that with his avoidance of contact, and Rondo is no longer a viable offensive threat. He used to be at least average on offense, with great finishes and decent mid range shooting, but now he's almost useless without the ball. To his credit, though, he is shooting 39% on threes with Dallas, but he isn't a threat from anywhere else. Similar to Derrick Rose, Rondo's used-to-be drives and tough finishes are now contested jumpers or tough passes out, only Rose is slightly better at shooting his jumpers.

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2015, 07:12:21 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I think it's more his physical decline than his previous exploits. Rondo was always very dependent on his athleticism to slice through the lane and score, and now, he's noticeably slower. Combine that with his avoidance of contact, and Rondo is no longer a viable offensive threat. He used to be at least average on offense, with great finishes and decent mid range shooting, but now he's almost useless without the ball. To his credit, though, he is shooting 39% on threes with Dallas, but he isn't a threat from anywhere else. Similar to Derrick Rose, Rondo's used-to-be drives and tough finishes are now contested jumpers or tough passes out, only Rose is slightly better at shooting his jumpers.

I agree.  Rondo's flaws are being exaggerated by some physical decline, partly due to injury and maybe partly due to age.  Whatever complex he's developed about free throws is also making him shy away from contact.  But those drives used to be a huge part of his game, and now they're few and far between, making him maybe the most inept PG in the league at scoring the ball.  Remember when Rondo used to make plays like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAfjCmHvFS0

...I wish him well, but I don't know if that Rondo's ever coming back. 

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2015, 11:17:59 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I think $12 million per year.

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2015, 01:16:47 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158

He might get that by reputation or name recognition alone.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2015, 02:24:02 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Here's how I see this playing out...

The Rondo experiment in Dallas is deemed a failure.  They probably make the playoffs, but "Playoff Rondo" never shows up, because "Playoff Rondo" is just as much dependent on a Rondo-centric system for it to happen. 

Offseason hits.  If Dallas is to commit to Rondo it's going to mean trading Monta Ellis.  Ellis and him can't co-exist.  Both ball-dominating guards.  Can't work.   More likely, Dallas lets him walk and some desperate team (Knicks?  Lakers?) overpays Rondo by a wide margin.  As long as they build a system around him and let him control the ball 99% of the time, he'll be right back to his typical inflated-stat self.

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2015, 02:30:42 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

If the rest of the league thought that highly of Rondo, Ainge could have traded him for more.

Mike

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2015, 02:57:20 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

If the rest of the league thought that highly of Rondo, Ainge could have traded him for more.

Mike
Not with free agency looming.  Most of the teams that think highly of Rondo (Knicks, Lakers) can just sign him this summer.  The reason he went for so little is because Dallas knows he could flee for nothing.  I doubt he stays in Dallas.