Author Topic: Was Rondo deal the right move for Mavs?  (Read 15662 times)

Re: Was Rondo deal the right move for Mavs?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 09:35:59 AM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
If rondo was still here at trade deadline would we have still got little in return or would we have gotten more u think?

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 09:41:53 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If rondo was still here at trade deadline would we have still got little in return or would we have gotten more u think?
Hard to say. I think we could have gotten a similar package, though moving Wright for another pick might have been impossible from that specific trade.

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 09:54:13 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Hard to say. I think we could have gotten a similar package, though moving Wright for another pick might have been impossible from that specific trade.

Doubt it. The Mavs could've gotten in on Dragic, who wasn't available in December. and obviously a package of Wright (who the Suns liked), Crowder, and 2 1st rd picks (sooner than the Heats) trumps the Heats offer. Dragic would've been an excellent fit there.

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 09:56:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Doubt it. The Mavs could've gotten in on Dragic, who wasn't available in December. and obviously a package of Wright (who the Suns liked), Crowder, and 2 1st rd picks (sooner than the Heats) trumps the Heats offer. Dragic would've been an excellent fit there.
Because the Suns would have traded him to the West to one of the 4 teams directly competing for a lower playoff spot?

Also Mavericks picks are sooner, but also likely to be worse due to protections, would they have removed that to land Dragic?

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 10:00:41 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Because the Suns would have traded him to the West to one of the 4 teams directly competing for a lower playoff spot?

Also Mavericks picks are sooner, but also likely to be worse due to protections, would they have removed that to land Dragic?

Judging by the moves the Suns made I think they're not really trying to make a playoff push. They might've been tempted to trade them to the Mavs considering that their window is short. Also, the Heat picks are in 17 and 21, while the Mavs could've offered 15 and 17, along with better players. They traded 2 2nds for Wright as is.

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 10:03:15 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Rondo has been a better PG for the Mavs than was Jameer Nelson.
That basic quote is not saying much and may or may not be true.  The stats you present show things pretty equal but no stats capture the whole picture so based on the stats you presented, I would say that it is inconclusive that Rondo is even playing better than Nelson.

I suspect the bigger problem for the Mavs when Rondo is on the court is spacing.  When Rondo was with the Celtics, no one covered him so it was easier for the defense to double team others or go under screens.  Based on your stats, the Mavs are shooting a hair better when Rondo passes to them over when Nelson did but what about during set plays?  Rondo can't make all the passes.

The Mavs so far are not better with Rondo so far.  There is more to it than just Rondo but it seems silly to ignore the obvious.

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 10:03:52 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
It's been disappointing thus far.

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 10:04:26 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

With the frequency Rondo picked up weird injuries before and after the trade in Dallas I'm glad Ainge pulled the trigger when he did. With so many PGs moving at the deadline yesterday I'm sure Rondo's value would have been diminished. Remember, there's also more value in getting Rondo earlier rather than later when there are only 26 games left (assuming Rondo has had a positive impact of course). With more time with the team Rondo could help them win more games early and get better acclimated before the playoffs.

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 10:07:54 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I think the Celtics got a fine return -- a likely 2016 1st that we get in 2015 if it's better than expected, either a late lottery 2016 1st or two seconds that are likely to be earlier in the round, another 2016 2nd that's the better of two teams' picks (although if you want to argue that pick was for Powell, I won't stop you), and Jae Crowder, who's a useful player making the minimum, and who is a restricted free agent with a low qualifying offer.  And trade exceptions, which we may or may not use, but have potential value.  (Note: I'm including what we got for Brandon Wright because it was pretty clear he was acquired only as a player to be flipped, which means his return counts in Rondo's.) Also, no money owed beyond this year unless we choose to keep Crowder.

Consider that Rondo was on an expiring deal and no guarantee to re-sign wherever he was traded, and I can't see doing any better given the return various teams got yesterday. I guess the Bucks did well for Brandon Knight, but I don't think Phoenix could make a trade for Rondo.

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 10:45:40 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Rondo has been a better PG for the Mavs than was Jameer Nelson.
That basic quote is not saying much and may or may not be true.  The stats you present show things pretty equal but no stats capture the whole picture so based on the stats you presented, I would say that it is inconclusive that Rondo is even playing better than Nelson.

I suspect the bigger problem for the Mavs when Rondo is on the court is spacing.  When Rondo was with the Celtics, no one covered him so it was easier for the defense to double team others or go under screens.  Based on your stats, the Mavs are shooting a hair better when Rondo passes to them over when Nelson did but what about during set plays?  Rondo can't make all the passes.

The Mavs so far are not better with Rondo so far.  There is more to it than just Rondo but it seems silly to ignore the obvious.

In terms of being a PG, I'm going to stand by those stats.  Shot creation for teammates is the primary offensive role of a point guard, and Rondo's teammates have shot with both more volume and efficiency with Rondo as PG relative to Nelson.

Floor spacing is all hand-waving unless you show some stats for it.  So go find them.  See if synergy has stats on what percentage of shots have been closely guarded before and after Rondo arrived, or even better with Rondo on and off the court.  I assure you opponents were dropping under screens when Nelson had the ball too, and if they weren't, they should have.

I'm not saying that Rondo hasn't been the problem.  I'm simply stating that there is no direct evidence presented that he has been, that can't be explained by things like the Mavs are relying on a 36 year-old to be one of their two leading scorers, or that opposing teams with film have figured out what the Mavs were doing at the beginning of the year and better planned to stop it, at least any more than floor spacing, chemistry, or whatever else is being used.  I'm entirely willing to concede that Rondo is the cause of the Mavs offensive decline if presented with more than before/after numbers, since I never for a minute believed the "before" numbers to have been sustainable, even before Rondo was traded.

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2015, 11:35:28 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If some other great player ...liiikkeee sayyyy...idk...Blake Griffin were traded to a playoff aspiring team like saaaayyyy...idk ...the Rockets and then Blake took a turn for the worst does that mean Blake now is no good?

I blame this solidly on the Dallas coaches. The guy was leading the league in assists and rebs on a team of kids. He goes to Dallas and they immediately get worse. Do people really think Rondo is suddenly a tremendously worse player in Dallas? What do they think caused this? The weather?

The team has no idea what to do because they haven't had a training camp together or any practice time, they sacrificed valuable bench guys, and then he got his face broke. Check back in April.

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2015, 11:46:46 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
If some other great player ...liiikkeee sayyyy...idk...Blake Griffin were traded to a playoff aspiring team like saaaayyyy...idk ...the Rockets and then Blake took a turn for the worst does that mean Blake now is no good?

I blame this solidly on the Dallas coaches. The guy was leading the league in assists and rebs on a team of kids. He goes to Dallas and they immediately get worse. Do people really think Rondo is suddenly a tremendously worse player in Dallas? What do they think caused this? The weather?

The team has no idea what to do because they haven't had a training camp together or any practice time, they sacrificed valuable bench guys, and then he got his face broke. Check back in April.

hahaha...this is funny, you are the leader of the Rondo army.  I respect it, I disagree with it but I respect your loyalty.  The facts are Rondo is not the player he was a few years ago, the excuses have run dry.  He is a long way removed from his injury, he is surrounded by good players now and he has still struggled...In today's game he is an average point guard.  That's it, no shame in that Rondo has had a nice career...

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2015, 11:51:10 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Uh, he wasn't been good here since 2012. He stat padded and with it came empty numbers that resulted in absolutely nothing in terms of W/L.

He's a one trick pony who can only excel when he has the ball in his hands the majority of the time (courtesy of Doc) and is flanked by shooters (KG, Allen, Pierce, House, etc.) to mask his deficiency there. Plus, he also needs a crunch time scorer (Pierce) to hide his ineptitude in hitting big shots late. The more time that passes the more it's apparent that he was placed in a tailor made position to excel. He was a product of the system and made the most of it.

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2015, 11:53:01 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

Uh, he wasn't been good here since 2012. He stat padded and with it came empty numbers that resulted in absolutely nothing in terms of W/L.

He's a one trick pony who can only excel when he has the ball in his hands the majority of the time (courtesy of Doc) and is flanked by shooters (KG, Allen, Pierce, House, etc.) to mask his deficiency there. Plus, he also needs a crunch time scorer (Pierce) to hide his ineptitude in hitting big shots late. The more time that passes the more it's apparent that he was placed in a tailor made position to excel. He was a product of the system and made the most of it.

TP - this is how I feel to a T....

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2015, 11:56:17 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
In response to the thread title:

Doesn't matter to me. It was the right move for Boston.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis