Author Topic: Stein: Cavs-Nuggets in "advanced discussions" about Mozgov trade.  (Read 13676 times)

Re: Stein: Cavs-Nuggets in "advanced discussions" about Mozgov trade.
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2015, 05:34:30 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
danny better do something good with brandan otherwise he should get canned

You may feel a little stronger than I do about this, but I basically share your sentiment. We were sold this bill of goods that Brandan Wright was either the centerpiece of the Rondo trade and/or a player we could flip for a first (giving us two total firsts, Crowder, and a sizable TPE for Rondo). If Wright just expires at the end of the year, I will be pretty annoyed.

I, like so many others here, would have rather just taken my chances with Rondo leaving at the end of the year. Isn't it likely we would have gotten a first in a sign and trade anyway?

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2015, 05:36:58 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
nugs got a better deal than what we did for rondo

How so ?

That Dallas' first is arguably more valuable than any first the Cavs received (though the Memphis 1st rivals its potential), and we also got three assets in Wright, Nelson and the $12.9M TPE. Finally, a keeper in Jae Crowder.

So how is the Mozgov trade better ?

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2015, 05:38:59 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
danny better do something good with brandan otherwise he should get canned

You may feel a little stronger than I do about this, but I basically share your sentiment. We were sold this bill of goods that Brandan Wright was either the centerpiece of the Rondo trade and/or a player we could flip for a first (giving us two total firsts, Crowder, and a sizable TPE for Rondo). If Wright just expires at the end of the year, I will be pretty annoyed.

I, like so many others here, would have rather just taken my chances with Rondo leaving at the end of the year. Isn't it likely we would have gotten a first in a sign and trade anyway?

You feel Danny should get canned ? if he doesn't trade Wright ?

That's ridiculous.

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2015, 05:39:05 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I have a sneaking suspicion that Denver already thinks their best center is Jusuf Nurkic. Those aren't great picks or anything, but this is still good trade for the Nuggets.

I guess the Cavs got the best fit that they could under the circumstances, but even for that price I'd have thought they could get a better player.
If they do, they're right.  Nurkic is good.  Very fluid on offense and very mobile for his size.  Defensively, he's better than advertised too.  Quite a combination of touch, toughness, and mobility.

There was this article in their blogsite that pretty much tells that Denver is defensively better when Nurkic is on the floor.

http://www.denverstiffs.com/2015/1/6/7492657/nuggets-defense-thrives-with-jusuf-nurkic

This deal just opened up more time for him. Sorta bummed in a way, I drove the Nurkic bandwagon during the draft and hoped that we drafted him. I think Denver is making a wise decision to invest in him and start giving him more opportunities.

I absolutely wanted Nurkic. But he wasn't projected to go as high as #6 and nobody on this board thought the C's should "reach" for him.

But I'd be happier with Nurkic than Smart right now.

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2015, 05:40:39 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Timo Fey!
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2015, 05:40:48 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
This is sort of on topic, but it relates to the all the Cavs moves.

Are people not realizing how difficult a position the Cavs are currently in for getting out of the east this year? Cleveland is currently 5th in the East a full 5 games in the loss column behind the 4th seeded wizards and a whopping 8 losses behind the Hawks. The Cavs have upcoming games against the Rockets, at Golden State at Phoenix and at Sacramento before facing both the Clippers and Lakers in LA (and will be missing Lebron for at 3 of these). The Cavs have a very reasonable chance of returning home from this stretch under .500. It seems like the best case scenario for them would be home court advantage for the first two rounds.

While everyone has been focusing on the moves they are making they are continuing a pretty steep slide in the standings. While all the talk of is how terrible the East is, the Wizards, Bulls, Hawks and Raptors are all playing really good ball and the Cavs currently have a sub 500 record versus teams with winning records.   

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2015, 05:51:20 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
@SamAmicoFSO

"Nuggets hopeful of using picks they received from Cavs in Mozgov trade for player or players in near future, source tells @FOXSportsOH. "

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2015, 05:51:47 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Supposedly Denver is sending Cleveland a future second, which makes this slightly less lopsided in favor of the Nuggets.

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2015, 05:53:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
So Rondo can only get 1 late first round pick , but Mozgov can get 2?

Wow good to know the cba is helping teams keep their good players.....
doc rivers had more trade value than rondo

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2015, 05:55:30 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

How so ?

That Dallas' first is arguably more valuable than any first the Cavs received (though the Memphis 1st rivals its potential), and we also got three assets in Wright, Nelson and the $12.9M TPE. Finally, a keeper in Jae Crowder.

Plagiarism much?

Also consider that Dallas' first, favorably structured with protection, is arguably more valuable than any first the Cavs received (though the Memphis 1st rivals its potential), and we also got three assets in Wright, Nelson and the $12.9M TPE. Finally, we received what appears to be a keeper in Jae Crowder.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2015, 05:57:00 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I'd like to see us keep Wright.

He is probably our best PF.

Just like Humphries was last year.

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2015, 05:59:07 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Update to Cavs story w/ @Brian Windhorst: Cavs will send TWO future firsts to Denver for Mozgov

Desperation.  Mozgov isn't that good.

I assume you believe Mozgov is good, though not that, i.e. two first-round picks, good.

Despite the overpay, Mozgov is a tremendous addition to that team. Cavs can also probably afford to overpay after being the clear winners in the recent 3-team trade. It's a win-now move, and I like it for them. If you're going to give up Wiggins for Love, you have to be willing to give up a little extra in draft considerations to complete the puzzle. Otherwise, if the plan is to be patient for a couple of years, I don't see why they didn't just keep Wiggins. If they can bring on Dalembert or trade for Wright using their TPE and two 2nds, I love their team.

Irving/Shumpert
Mike Miller/JR Smith
LBJ/Marion
Love/T. Thompson
Mozgov/Dalembert or Wright

That's quite a ballclub.

It's a win-now move for a team that can't win now.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2015, 06:02:18 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
This is sort of on topic, but it relates to the all the Cavs moves.

Are people not realizing how difficult a position the Cavs are currently in for getting out of the east this year? Cleveland is currently 5th in the East a full 5 games in the loss column behind the 4th seeded wizards and a whopping 8 losses behind the Hawks. The Cavs have upcoming games against the Rockets, at Golden State at Phoenix and at Sacramento before facing both the Clippers and Lakers in LA (and will be missing Lebron for at 3 of these). The Cavs have a very reasonable chance of returning home from this stretch under .500. It seems like the best case scenario for them would be home court advantage for the first two rounds.

While everyone has been focusing on the moves they are making they are continuing a pretty steep slide in the standings. While all the talk of is how terrible the East is, the Wizards, Bulls, Hawks and Raptors are all playing really good ball and the Cavs currently have a sub 500 record versus teams with winning records.

Honestly, I don't think they're putting too much stock into the regular season.  This seems like a team that's trying to shake off the cobwebs and establish some cohesiveness and just try to stay healthy during the regular season.  I don't think they've got their foot on the gas yet. 

Being a 5 or 6 seed isn't the end of the world for that team.   Sorta like the Celtics at the tail end of the New Three era.  They certainly didn't give much of a [dang] about seeding. 

That being said, I've maintained since this past summer that CLE will not be coming out of the East this year.  Nothing has changed my mind on that.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2015, 06:04:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
So Rondo can only get 1 late first round pick , but Mozgov can get 2?

That's why I would have waited to trade Rondo.  An injury that led to a team becoming desperate could have increased the price drastically.

Btw, does this mean Tristan Thompson is leaving Cleveland next year?  They've already got Varejao, Mozgov, and presumably Love there.  Thompson may be a luxury that they can't afford.

No. Rondo is a unique fit and Mavs are risk takers. It has worked out.

Good centers are hard to come by in this league. Mozgov when he is on ,is hard to stop. Has a 7'4 wingspan to help in the defensive end

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2015, 06:14:22 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell

How so ?

Plagiarism much?

Also consider that Dallas' first, favorably structured with protection, is arguably more valuable than any first the Cavs received (though the Memphis 1st rivals its potential), and we also got three assets in Wright, Nelson and the $12.9M TPE. Finally, we received what appears to be a keeper in Jae Crowder.

Can't even compare those two trades.  Far different.