Author Topic: Stein: Cavs-Nuggets in "advanced discussions" about Mozgov trade.  (Read 13680 times)

Re: Stein: Cavs-Nuggets in "advanced discussions" about Mozgov trade.
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 03:59:07 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Update to Cavs story w/ @Brian Windhorst: Cavs will send TWO future firsts to Denver for Mozgov

Desperation.  Mozgov isn't that good.

I assume you believe Mozgov is good, though not that, i.e. two first-round picks, good.

Despite the overpay, Mozgov is a tremendous addition to that team. Cavs can also probably afford to overpay after being the clear winners in the recent 3-team trade.

Yeah, that's probably the thinking.  They were already willing to give up a #1 for Mozgov, and the OKC #1 was easy come, easy go.  Net-net, it's Waiters + #1 for Mozgov + Shumpert + Smith, which is good value.

I'm not sure if that's the right way to look at it, but I think that that's the analysis.

Btw, Woj confirmed as the OKC #1 and the Memphis #1.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 04:01:01 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Update to Cavs story w/ @Brian Windhorst: Cavs will send TWO future firsts to Denver for Mozgov

Desperation.  Mozgov isn't that good.
i agree. but since getting lebron the cavs have been all in for today. they don't care about 3, 4, 5 years from now. if they don't please lebron now he may leave again.

i am not convinced mozgov will make the difference for them. but what they seem to be trying to do is support their "big three" with anyone who can play defense.

shumpert? mozgov? their role on the cavs have nothing to do with offensive win shares. lebron, love, and irving will do all the scoring. all they want from shumpert and mozgov is someone who can at least provide league average defense, or close to it.

it will be interesting to see how this works out. if these moves don't work, the cavs have no real resources left to improve the team.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 04:01:19 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So Rondo can only get 1 late first round pick , but Mozgov can get 2?

That's why I would have waited to trade Rondo.  An injury that led to a team becoming desperate could have increased the price drastically.

Btw, does this mean Tristan Thompson is leaving Cleveland next year?  They've already got Varejao, Mozgov, and presumably Love there.  Thompson may be a luxury that they can't afford.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 04:02:14 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Wow good to know the cba is helping teams keep their good players.....

Expiring contract vs 1.5 years of control, deepest position in the league vs. one of the hardest to fill, health concerns.

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 04:02:40 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
so much for wright for OKC pick. Good grab by denver two picks for Mozgov.

Now the Cs have to move on with their "what will you give us for a 3rd big search".
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 04:02:40 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Rondo got you a first, Nelson, Wright, & Crowder.  Far different.

Cavs waaaaay overpaid though.  Ridiculous for a 20-25 minute player.

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 04:03:24 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Now the Cs have to move on with their "what will you give us for a 3rd big search".

Or nab one of those firsts from Denver for Wright.

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 04:03:42 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

Mozgov has less of an injury history, is signed for a longer period of time, and plays a more premium position.

Also consider that Dallas' first, favorably structured with protection, is arguably more valuable than any first the Cavs received (though the Memphis 1st rivals its potential), and we also got three assets in Wright, Nelson and the $12.9M TPE. Finally, we received what appears to be a keeper in Jae Crowder.

Ultimately though, the CBA should have little interest in protecting Boston from big bad markets like NY and LA. It is funny to see Boston fans chide the Yankees' spending habits or groan every time the Lakers sign a free agent. If anything, the CBA should be protecting markets like Cleveland and Denver.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 04:04:31 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

That's why I would have waited to trade Rondo.  An injury that led to a team becoming desperate could have increased the price drastically.

Btw, does this mean Tristan Thompson is leaving Cleveland next year?  They've already got Varejao, Mozgov, and presumably Love there.  Thompson may be a luxury that they can't afford.

On the flip-side, a Rondo injury would've wiped out all value. Plus, we couldn't flip Wright by the deadline.

I doubt Thompson walks. I think the James signing is a wink-wink/packaged deal that will take care of Thompson long term.

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 04:05:47 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Or nab one of those firsts from Denver for Wright.

Only reason why Denver would have any interest in Wright and trading away a first is if they got to dump McGee.

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 04:09:39 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I don't think GM LeBron lets that happen given his stated affection for Tristan.

Besides you absolutely cannot count on Varejao actually being on the court.

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2015, 04:20:10 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Mozgov has less of an injury history, is signed for a longer period of time, and plays a more premium position.

Also consider that Dallas' first, favorably structured with protection, is arguably more valuable than any first the Cavs received (though the Memphis 1st rivals its potential), and we also got three assets in Wright, Nelson and the $12.9M TPE. Finally, we received what appears to be a keeper in Jae Crowder.

Ultimately though, the CBA should have little interest in protecting Boston from big bad markets like NY and LA. It is funny to see Boston fans chide the Yankees' spending habits or groan every time the Lakers sign a free agent. If anything, the CBA should be protecting markets like Cleveland and Denver.

These are great points.

Let's not forget that danny did the deal when he did so that wright and the other salaries could be combined with a bass, Thornton, green, etc. He wanted more flexibility. We will see how that works out.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2015, 04:23:25 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be

I don't think GM LeBron lets that happen given his stated affection for Tristan.

Besides you absolutely cannot count on Varejao actually being on the court.

Well its a good thing they didn't Varejao to an extension or anything....oh wait.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 04:23:54 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I wish this deal didn't happen. I was hoping that we could work our way into the trade and get a first.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 04:29:36 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Cavs overpaid IMO.  Mozgov was going to be dealt and the deal was becoming easier for Denver all the time with the way Nurkic has been playing.  I wish Danny could've gotten in on this somehow.

Sounds like everyone knows Marc Gasol is staying put.